AVIC411.com

Appradio 2 (SPH-DA100) and Android Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi outcastrc,

Playback on iPod vs Android is very similar - I do prefer the iPod though simply because I leave it in my car all the time and when I do short journeys, I don't have to mess about connecting it up like I do with my phone. If I am doing a short journey somewhere I just keep my phone in my pocket. Also - iPod music starts playing almost instantaneously where as it takes a while for the phone to connect then select the media player app... The iPod I am using isn't officially supported but it works with nor problems - including playback of apple lossless files!

Very interesting! Which version of Ipod do you have? I'd be interested in picking up something used possibly if I could. I do have some older 4 or 8 gb Ipods I could try but they are beyond old. Should dig them out and see if they will stilll hold a charge.

I tried plugging in my iphone 3g but I got an error when I tried to open it. Used to that thing not being compatible with anything.

Google Maps works with full touchscreen, but Navigation does not allow touchscreen.

Ah. I imagine this is purposeful to force people to buy their navigation head units. Does it at least show the navigation, but simply doesn't allow you to use the touch screen?

I take it from other comments that there is indeed a USB cable separate that people are using to plug in their MP3 players.

I don't suppose Pioneer would offer the maps upgrade of the 140BH only for use with the 130BT?

Ah. I imagine this is purposeful to force people to buy their navigation head units. Does it at least show the navigation, but simply doesn't allow you to use the touch screen?

I take it from other comments that there is indeed a USB cable separate that people are using to plug in their MP3 players.

I don't suppose Pioneer would offer the maps upgrade of the 140BH only for use with the 130BT?

The deck will display anything your phone will, but only control approved apps. So you need to use the phone tough screen to control non approved stuff.

Waze app is free full navigation. so the choice is there. I think the real issue is google navigation is a different app to google maps, and navigation doesn't have the required mod to the code. It does seem odd that maps does. You'd almost think that Pioneer just allowed it rather then force Google to modify maps to work with Pioneer.

The usb cable doesn't allow mp3 players or usb sticks with music on them, just firmware updates. I find that very frustrating as I don't always want to have to plug my phone in just to listen to music. Going to try to see if I can find a older cheap ipod that would work with the deck that I can leave in the glove box.

Even with its faults its a fantastic deck, no regrets... Just hope that over time it will get even better...

The deck will display anything your phone will, but only control approved apps. So you need to use the phone tough screen to control non approved stuff.

Waze app is free full navigation. so the choice is there. I think the real issue is google navigation is a different app to google maps, and navigation doesn't have the required mod to the code. It does seem odd that maps does. You'd almost think that Pioneer just allowed it rather then force Google to modify maps to work with Pioneer.

The usb cable doesn't allow mp3 players or usb sticks with music on them, just firmware updates. I find that very frustrating as I don't always want to have to plug my phone in just to listen to music. Going to try to see if I can find a older cheap ipod that would work with the deck that I can leave in the glove box.

Even with its faults its a fantastic deck, no regrets... Just hope that over time it will get even better...

Well that's crap. I don't want to listen to music from my phone - there is not enough space!

I've had a nightmare getting my Galaxy Nexus with ICS to work on AppRadio2. The cable i got from the store had a model number 'CA-ANW-200'. I don't get any display coming up on the unit with this cable.

Pioneer tells me that although this is the right cable, it for some reason does not work with certain phones, including mine. I'm waiting to get this CD-AH200C cable, hoping this will work.

I already feel like throwing this unit out the window! Haven't reached the bypass stage yet!

Is anyone facing a similar issue? Something to be aware of, if you're having similar problems.

I was lucky enough that my cable from Ebay worked just fine, biggest thing I was worried about was whether it was going to fit and luckily it did. Just remember that you have to power the cable if you don't already know. I have the decks usb plugged in to the mhl cable to give it power.

http://www.ebay.ca/i...0#ht_3342wt_939

That was the cable I purchased. 17bucks shipped (tho I think he screwed up the price when he re-listed it, lol).

:shock: I've been using a PNY MHL adapter with my car charger and a 6ft HDMI cable. I don't like that solution because the MHL Adapter has about a 1.5 inch long cable leading to the phone and that means that it's putting all of the weight of the heavy HDMI cable plus the charger's cable onto the micro-usb port of the phone.

I tried a micro-usb extension plug and it didn't work either.

I didn't see that cable you linked when I was looking for my solution. Looks like a GREAT option!

Mind you, the price on the ebay link you provided is $1600! :lol:

:shock: I've been using a PNY MHL adapter with my car charger and a 6ft HDMI cable. I don't like that solution because the MHL Adapter has about a 1.5 inch long cable leading to the phone and that means that it's putting all of the weight of the heavy HDMI cable plus the charger's cable onto the micro-usb port of the phone.

I tried a micro-usb extension plug and it didn't work either.

I didn't see that cable you linked when I was looking for my solution. Looks like a GREAT option!

Mind you, the price on the ebay link you provided is $1600! :lol:

LOL yah he'll realize soon enough when no one bids. I contacted him just for the heck of it. It is the perfect cable though, light on the phone end. I used a short usb cable to run from the apple /usb connector in the glove box back to the deck and plugged in to the mhl cable. There's a lot of cables running back and forth but they are hidden in the dash so who cares... The only time I need the usb cable is to do a firmware update.

If I recall there are similar mhl cables with longer usb connections on ebay, but I was in a hurry to get one, and could get the one I bought in a couple days since he was in the same province as I am.

So Waze says it has voice commands. Do things like that work through the AppRadio2? What all does it allow?

Far as I know everything works like you'd expect it to running waze. How it compares to other navigation programs I have no idea. I'd still like to see Google navigation integrated myself, until then waze is perfectly acceptable.

I would assume then that the Bluetooth speaker works throughout the head unit and I wouldn't have to talk to the phone in the glove box. No matter, though, I guess. I cannot do without an SD card slot that plays music if the USB won't.

On a semi-related note, I'm also pissed Pioneer doesn't offer free map updates like others do...my crappy Tele Atlas maps are too far behind. Suppose I were to upgrade the firmware...would the factory reset allow me to go back to my original 130BT? This question I imagine applies to all head units.

Bluetooth speaker works through the headunit yes. I have no need of using the USB port for music though. Threw a 64GB microSD card into my phone plus the phone has 16gb of memory to go with that.

Outcasterc, I ordered one of those MHL cables. Same as you I ordered one locally because I want it faster. Heck, if I was in more of a hurry I'd just go pick it up in Markham. I'm going to hard wire a charger in under the radio inside the dash to power it though. With a 1a charger I'm barely charging the battery as it is. Using the USB cable will drain the battery, unfortunately.