AVIC411.com

HEY..does the z-1 fan always run or is it thermally controled or only run when needed? i have a 2007 gmc sierra 2500 H-D slt dura/alli with auto climate. my unit overheats after 2 hours of playing a dvd :evil::shock::? after i get control of the unit i end up shutting it off. i do have the ducatti boy bypass and after the unit comes out of protection it is not bypassed until i cycle the ignition . and there is no way to kill power to the radio unless you shut the truck down :cry: and that is not an option when im driving 5 hours to maine :o the temp this week was -10 f and i tried to keep the heat out of the upper vents but it doesnt help!! i would like to install a switch to kill power to the radio when it happens BUT.......is it wise to shut the unit down and eliminate all sourse of heat from the unit running? OR leave it running, IN overheat mode and let the fan aid in cooling it ?Today while the truck was COLD i tried listening i can hear the prossesor running but i cant hear the fan with a dvd running. it is a tight fit for the z-1 and i do have 2 amps connected so the harness does take up most of the space behind it.

any help would be nice

THANX.......hammadown

HEY..does the z-1 fan always run or is it thermally controled or only run when needed?

I think it's thermally controlled and runs at higher speeds when needed. I think it's on all the time at a low speed, but kicks up a notch when it gets hot.

i have a 2007 gmc sierra 2500 H-D slt dura/alli with auto climate. my unit overheats after 2 hours of playing a dvd :evil::shock::?

That is really not good and not normal. Especially this time of year.

after i get control of the unit i end up shutting it off. i do have the ducatti boy bypass and after the unit comes out of protection it is not bypassed until i cycle the ignition .

Yah, that's kind of how I made the circuit initially. If you have a more recent bypass circuit with a white dot, you can hook power to the remote turn on lead from the Z1 and this won't happen. It will bypass it with the Z1 if it resets even without cycling the key.

and there is no way to kill power to the radio unless you shut the truck down :cry: and that is not an option when im driving 5 hours to maine :o the temp this week was -10 f and i tried to keep the heat out of the upper vents but it doesnt help!!

That makes me think it's a faulty Z1. With the temp this low, and you keeping the heat from that area... I'm guessing it's still a lower temp behind the dash than it is in the guys who run these in the summer in AZ. And they don't generally have these issues.

i would like to install a switch to kill power to the radio when it happens BUT.......is it wise to shut the unit down and eliminate all sourse of heat from the unit running? OR leave it running, IN overheat mode and let the fan aid in cooling it ?

I would say you should fix the Z1 instead of putting in this "hack" to bandaid it.

Today while the truck was COLD i tried listening i can hear the prossesor running but i cant hear the fan with a dvd running.

Processor running? They are silent. There is a fan on the back of the unit that makes a quiet hum. Could that be what you hear? With the DVD running you mean the spinning of the disk is louder than the fan?

Maybe your fan failed and is no longer pulling air out of the Z1.

it is a tight fit for the z-1 and i do have 2 amps connected so the harness does take up most of the space behind it.

any help would be nice

THANX.......hammadown

You have AMPS behind the radio or just the wires going to the amps. Amps generate heat, if they are mounted right behind the Z1 that's could be not so good.

But my aviator doesn't have much room back there with air flow and all with the rats nest of wires and I don't have that problem in the summer, let alone these days. And even with the heat on high, it's heating the passenger compartment and I'll bet the area behind the dash might be lower than the air blowing on me. Eventually it will equalize but it's not like the heater system is blowing hot air on the back of the Z1.

wheres all the troubleshooters when you need them :lol: ??

hammadown

Dude, patience is a virtue. I know your problem is important to you, but 3 hours is not that long to wait. What do you expect from free tech support? And it makes you seem like we owe you tech support or something. Contrary to popular conception, some of us do have lives you know :D As lame as they might seem.

• 2 weeks later...