AVIC411.com

Will changing the bootup screen on my Z1 void the warranty!

Does anyone know if changing the bootup screen on my Z1 would void my warranty? I purchased a 2 year extended warranty when I bought my refurbished Z1 in December 2006.

I have everything needed to unlock the HD but I would hate to void my ext. warranty by replacing Pioneer's bootup screen.

Any insight would be helpful.

Cheers,

Kevin

Well, the wording in the warranty states that if it can not be repaired at my nearest service center, it would be sent back to the manufacturer for repair.

So if it got sent back to Pioneer, wouldn't my new bootup screen be the first thing Pioneer would notice and realize that I hacked into the hard drive?

Kevin

Then the only way they can void your warranty would be if the "hack" was the direct cause of the problem you're having. In other words your screen goes out because the backlight is bad. They can't void the warranty because an image change on the hd doesn't cause a backlight to go bad.

As long as you save the boot up screen (or I have a copy of it too) you can put it back the way it came from the factory. It's not easy and you might have to pay to unlock it again. But I'm pretty confident that I can make it look original. If someone looked hard, they would see it messed with but probably not.

that's pretty cool guys.... I didn't know you can change the bootup screen

I would be totally interested in doing that,.... once I get my freakin car back!!

How do you do it?

is it just a JPEG image that displys on bootup?

if so, can you pretty much use any image?

http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2140

You have to unlock your hard drive in a PC, it costs $50. Then the image is just a BMP which is 500x240 in resolution.

There is a file called OPENING.BMP just change it to whatever you want. Save the original.

If worse came to worse, if I had to send my Z1 in for service.... I would replace the backup image with the original... re-enable locking. Relock the drive and lose my $50.

Whats the $50 all about?

how do you "unlock"?

Is that an interface so your Z1 can talk to your PC?

it's all in that post.

How do you unlock and keep it unlocked:

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=728

How do you connect to the PC:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6812203012

I think the link in that first page is broken and I haven't fixed it.

The software charges you $50 for every unlock. If you stick it back in the Z1 without disabling locking it will relock.... and another $50 to unlock it.

Just read those links.

You know DucatiBoy,

As I think about this, I agree on everything you said except for re-locking the hard drive.

I think that if I did have to send it in for service, I would change back the bootup image to the original Pioneer image but would leave the HD unlocked, hoping that it would be returned to me unlocked so that I wouldn't have to repay the $50 fee.

Why re-lock it? They would be hard pressed to prove that I unlocked it myself. I would plead my case that it must have been shipped to me that way. And the fact that I purchased my Z1 refurbished, would probably make my case all the more believable.

What is your opinion on this ducatiboy?

Cheers,

Kevin

Why re-lock it? They would be hard pressed to prove that I unlocked it myself. I would plead my case that it must have been shipped to me that way. And the fact that I purchased my Z1 refurbished, would probably make my case all the more believable.

What is your opinion on this ducatiboy?

The Z1 automatically locks any drive you stick into it. Unless you specifically go in and disable the security features of the hard drive.

I would be hard pressed to think that if this company spent the time and energy to write code to automatically lock hard drives upon insertion, that they would have some hard drives in stock that were intentionally modified to disable security and then put into units.

I supposed you could make that claim, but if you keep it unlocked, then there is evidence that you or someone else tampered with it. I probably wouldn't worry about the $50 to take that chance.