AVIC411.com

F90BT iPod Classic 120GB Issue

I'm new here and I definitely have been looking through the forums, because I just bought a used F90BT and have upgraded to the modded 3.0 firmware and have my iPhone synced perfectly with it.... So I know a decent amount about this technology stuff. I have an iPod Classic 120GB and it will not play with the F90BT! When I plug the iPod into the F90BT, it says "Connecting" on my iPod for about 3 seconds, then the Pioneer logo comes up and shows the song title for about 2 seconds and then my iPod goes back to the main menu.

The only way that I can get it to work (and by work I mean play one complete song and when it trys to load the next song, it disconnects and my iPod shows the main menu again), I have to play a song on the iPod manually and then when it starts playing, I connect the pioneer cable into it and then the iPod pictures shows on my F90BT's screen and then it works. But like I said for one song only.

I have been searching the forums as well as online and cannot seem to see anyone listing anything remotely to what I have going on. The iPod is the 120GB and running firmware 2.0.1. I wanted to downgrade it to 1.1.1 (which Pioneer supports), but reading more into it, the only iPod Classics that can be downgraded to that firmware is the 80GB and the 160GB that were manufactured in 2007.

The only thing that I can guess is that the pioneer cable that comes with the F90BT is lacking the Authentication Chip... Would I have to purchase Apple's composite cable to fix that (Does it contain the chip?) or is that not even the problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also wanted to say that if the f90bt changes songs by itself, the iPod disconnects. If I hit next on the f90bt, it will change the song without any problem. Also to note, my friend has an Avic D3 and I'm about 95% sure it works with his unit without any problem. I do believe I have a genuine iPod pioneer cable... I can tell by how the iPod connector part is molded. (It's more of a rounded rectangle with the connector cover strapped to the cable.) I would love to hear someone's advice on this. Thanks again.

Well just got out to my car this morning with a can of compressed air and blew out the iPods connector and the pioneers cable connector (both USB and iPod)... IT WORKS! I'm still really cautious about it though. I had the iPod connected before I put my car's ignition switch into accessory. (I did that three times.) I then cranked the car twice, with it still connecting and staying connected. I then disconnected the iPod and started the car and once the system was fully booted, I connected the iPod (without any song playing) and it connected and started playing.

Ughhhh!!!! I absolutely hate it when a problem is so simple to fix and it takes forever to realize that!

Like I said though I'm still worried about it, but I'll definitely post an update over the next few days to let anyone that's curious know how it's been going.

Alright. Time for a status update. It appears that I thought it was a short which some of it might be, but I also got home and holding the iPod in my hand and watching a movie, the movie plays for about 5 minutes and then the iPod disconnects. I wonder if it's a software or hardware issue. Thanks again for any help.

Okay. I always appreciate knowledgeable help on forums. After getting the unit just a few weeks ago, I did do a full restore of the 2.0.1 firmware and replaced everything on the ipod, with no luck. I'm going to order this Apple cable and look forward to the results.

The official Apple cable came in from Best Buy (the one in the link, higher up in the thread) and it doesn't work. A USB drive works just fine everytime I connect it, but the iPod will show charging, then like it's connected to the computer charging, then it shows the Pioneer logo, then disconnects. This is the exact same problem that was happening before. I have no idea what to do now.

UPDATE: I checked the cable with my iPhone 4S and it connects every single time! Obviously, it keeps reseting my unit, which is normal from what I read on the forums, but it works. So, apparently it works with everything except my iPod Classic 120gb! Arghhh!!! This is driving me crazy! I don't want to, but if I have to, I think I'll go by my local pawn shop and try to trade the 120gb for an original 80gb or 160gb classic running the "Pioneer Approved" 1.1.1 firmware. Any ideas or suggestions would definitely be appreciated. Thanks.