AVIC411.com

App Radio/App Radio 2 Bypass Confirmed!!!

Well install the necessary required components and see if that fixes the problem. Relying on hacks cant always be considered reliable.

You say that as if I'm missing something.  Did I overlook anything?  I can't for the life of me figure it out.

Edit:  I looked at another thread and found that even though his phone was rooted, it wasn't properly rooted.  I was planning on installing a custom rom anyway, so I'll let you know if that works later today. 

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Can anyone help me!

I have an Alfa Romeo MiTo Live and only had it delivered today 

I have all the leads to allow my Samsung Note 2 to work full (It's just a HDMI cable)
But of course as soon as I drive the screen cuts out :@

Is there a simpler way to bypass it? I dont think swapping wires etc would be a good idea for me!! 
I bought it on finance you see so think things would probably be void if i start changing wires 

But I can't see my Sat Nav when I'm driving...

PLEASE HELPPP!!! :(  :(  :(  :(

• 3 months later...

I recently got an appradio3 and had a 5 pin automotive relay kicking around.  I was able to use the relay as the bypass without any additional components such as the TR7; this is done by utilizing the 5th pin(pin 87a) wired to the car's parking brake switch.

In the past, you can wire 4 pins (30,87,86,85) on a relay 5pin relay or a 4pin N.O. (Normally Open) relay to simulate the parking brake being engaged. This no longer works with newer firmware as it requires the parking brake to be engaged, released and engaged again; hence the need for the 2 pulse bypass.

Wiring:

30 to the deck's parking brake detection wire (light green)

87 to ground

86 to ground

85 to power antenna/power amp (Blue/White)

87a goes to the car's parkingbrake switch.

The workflow to get it to work is as follows:  

1) Before starting the car, ensure the parking brake is engaged (typically done when you park).

2) Start the car, push OK on the deck and once the screen loads you release the parking brake; this will simulate the first two required steps, grounding and release.

3) Plug in the MHL (I have a samsung s3) usb into the phone and click Apps; at this point, the power antenna wire (blue/white wire) will turn on and engage the relay, simulating the final step.

4) choose to ignore the connection loading screen or you can wait; either way you will get to the screen to click OK.

If you fail to have the parking brake engaged prior to starting the car, don't worry you can still activate it.  Start by unplugging the adapter from the phone and plugging it back in.

When you do this, it will kick you back to the main screen and the power antenna wire will stop powering the relay; this will simulate the first two steps, grounding and release.  Plugging it back in and clicking apps will engage the relay, simulating the final step. 

• 3 months later...

Can confirm that the microbypass for the US Appradio 4 works. Also works with CarPlay where there's a keyboard option that gets enabled when searching for a destination in Apple maps.

Do you know if the old relay+TR7 bypass will also work on the AppRadio 4? I assume the microbypass does the same thing, only smaller? I have an AppRadio 2 with the relay/TR7 and if I can swap out for an AppRadio 4 without rewiring anything (including my steering wheel control), that is an incentive to stick with Pioneer over the new Alpine unit. 

Also, can videos be fed to an external monitor (back seat) while driving without a bypass at all? Curious if you know the answer to that. Thanks.

Hey Mate,

This is my first headunit, so the first time ive ever installed/used a bypass.  So i cant comment if the old relay method works.

I do know that the manual method of bypassing is to ground the parking wire, unground it, and then constantly ground it again to perform the bypass.

If your relay does this, then it should work on the Appradio 4.

Regarding not having a bypass and playing to an external device, sorry im not sure about this.  I'll see if i can test this, but at the moment ive completed my install so cant be arsed opening up everything again.

Thanks JJJones. That is exactly the sequence that the AR2 requires (parking brake on-off-on). it looks like if I want to swap out my AR2 for an AR4 then it will plug & play. That's a reason to stick with Pioneer over Alpine. I have to figure out this rear monitor thing because I want to be able to play a video for the back seat passenger(s). Alpine might not even allow that (need to check). 

Thanks JJJones. That is exactly the sequence that the AR2 requires (parking brake on-off-on). it looks like if I want to swap out my AR2 for an AR4 then it will plug & play. That's a reason to stick with Pioneer over Alpine. I have to figure out this rear monitor thing because I want to be able to play a video for the back seat passenger(s). Alpine might not even allow that (need to check). 

Im not sure how accurate this is but Appradioworld says the Alpine doesnt support bluetooth connectivity??

http://www.appradioworld.com/2014/11/apple-carplay-battle-alpine-ilx-007-vs.html

That sounds quite odd seeing that i was under the impression that bluetooth was used for the Appradio to send commands to your phone, to switch songs etc.

Anyway, apparently Appradio can be bouight for 500USD now... makes me want to cry cos i got mine at full price 600USD :-(

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I went ahead and installed an AR4 in place of my AR2. It was plug-n-play so that made installation great. The bypass I was using for the AR2 isn't working though. I can hear the relay clicking 3 times so I know that it is working and I know the head unit sees that the parking brake is "grounded". I think what's happening is that the TR7 is starting the sequence before the AR4 is booted and ready (the AR2 must have a faster boot time). Rather than reprogramming the TR7, I just ordered a microbypass that should work and it will get rid of the bulky TR7/relay that I currently have. You don't really need a bypass with CarPlay, but I would like the keyboard to be enabled so a passenger can enter text. 

Update: The microbypass works like a charm. The added benefit is that I can play videos now while parked (or in motion, if that's what you want to do). My car has an electronic parking break and I have no idea how to wire up the parking brake wire to it. The microbypass helps to avoid that issue altogether.

• 1 month later...