AVIC411.com

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't guarantee it, but it seems to me like the issue of tasker being too slow to click ok might have to do with the firmware on the phone. I'm running the Rogers firmware and it's too slow. The guy that showed us how to do the tasker task is probably using an AT&T version. This is one reason why I've tried the updated kernel. I haven't really played with it since doing the update though.

I can't guarantee it, but it seems to me like the issue of tasker being too slow to click ok might have to do with the firmware on the phone. I'm running the Rogers firmware and it's too slow. The guy that showed us how to do the tasker task is probably using an AT&T version. This is one reason why I've tried the updated kernel. I haven't really played with it since doing the update though.

Firmware? Do you mean the UI shell that some companies put on their phones? Other than that and bloatware, the phones are the same between carriers if you are on 4G LTE.

Firmware? Do you mean the UI shell that some companies put on their phones? Other than that and bloatware, the phones are the same between carriers if you are on 4G LTE.

No they are not. They have different basebands which make the radios act differently for each carrier. They're all running different kernels as well. AT&T has locked their baseband so that you can't use a Rogers radio file on their phones, but Rogers hasn't done so and I can use an AT&T radio file on mine.

There are hardware differences between the Sprint, Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile phones as well. I'm 90% sure that that AT&T and T-Mobile phones are hardware similar, but Verizon is VERY different since it supports CDMA. Sprint is very different as well since they have bastardized the GSM standard by making the SIM card part of the hardware.

No they are not. They have different basebands which make the radios act differently for each carrier. They're all running different kernels as well. AT&T has locked their baseband so that you can't use a Rogers radio file on their phones, but Rogers hasn't done so and I can use an AT&T radio file on mine.

There are hardware differences between the Sprint, Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile phones as well. I'm 90% sure that that AT&T and T-Mobile phones are hardware similar, but Verizon is VERY different since it supports CDMA. Sprint is very different as well since they have bastardized the GSM standard by making the SIM card part of the hardware.

I already acknowledged the hardware differences with my 4G LTE comment. The baseband is not a part of the software in which you would find the issue. The kernels are modified with the UI shells and the bloatware. I have yet to see a carrier-modified kernel that actually changes things like Bluetooth features or programming. If I'm wrong, provide me a link to educate me. I'm here to expand my knowledge as much as the next guy.

I've got a question for you. Is your S3 prompting you for the bluetooth connection every time you start the car?

What happens when I start the car:

AppRadio boots up quickly. 20-40 seconds after I start the car I get prompted to allow the bluetooth connection on my S2 LTE (Skyrocket) and now on my new S3. This prompt will sometimes only display for one second before disappearing. If it disappears I have to manually connect my phone to the deck either through the bluetooth menu on the phone, or through the phone menu on the deck (again hoping that I catch the bluetooth permission prompt in time). It's driving me insane!

Hello, I REALLY want to buy an AppRadio 2, but, I want a phone that works with it. I would love a Galaxy S3, but, I don't want to have another contract with AT&T, so I am hoping to buy a Galaxy S2 Skyrocket. I noticed you said that's what you had, but, it doesn't list that as a confirmed device on the website. Could you please comfirm that the Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket works with the AppRadio 2? Do you have the Android kit or how do you hook it up? Thanks!

Hello, I REALLY want to buy an AppRadio 2, but, I want a phone that works with it. I would love a Galaxy S3, but, I don't want to have another contract with AT&T, so I am hoping to buy a Galaxy S2 Skyrocket. I noticed you said that's what you had, but, it doesn't list that as a confirmed device on the website. Could you please comfirm that the Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket works with the AppRadio 2? Do you have the Android kit or how do you hook it up? Thanks!

The Galaxy S3 is available on all carriers.

Yup. The Skyrocket works just fine. I'm using an MHL adapter/HDMI cable that I purchased rather than using the Android kit. The Skyrocket seems to be a better fit for the AppRadio if you keep it running Gingerbread, but it still works well with ICS.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say after a week of not touching my phone\radio I have it setup quite nicely....even with an S3....No BT dropouts (I do have to auto connect with tasker and that usually happens within 5 seconds) I also have a nice ROM with all the JB animations so the transitions on the radio look sweet! I'm having my hdmi re-wired to come out my a-pillar so I can have one screen for when I look to the left window and another in the middle instead of two in the middle. Since I can't black out one screen may as well make it useful! I have little to no interaction with my phone anymore! I'm loving this thing.

Remember everyone...almost all the problems that are related to BT are an Android Issue, not an appradio issue. ICS has a big BT bug. My BT Kiwi is even worse...not only do I have to reconnect every time...I have to put in a pin also. Whats good to know is after flashing JB on my S3 the BT problem is gone... connects like a champ...just no HDMI support for the appradio yet....There is hope though! As soon as we get the HDMI support on JB it should be a very nice setup! Now if they only add the damn microphone to CarKeyboard...Would make things much easier!

Now I'm assuming since Pioneer is aware of the ICS bug, that is why they only officially support GB.

All certified devices for use with this radio with the exception of the GNX are to be running GB...I know an OTA for some means problems...

What I did find is an app "Bluetooth Fix Repair" which stopped all my random drops.

I have to say after a week of not touching my phone\radio I have it setup quite nicely....even with an S3....No BT dropouts (I do have to auto connect with tasker and that usually happens within 5 seconds) I also have a nice ROM with all the JB animations so the transitions on the radio look sweet! I'm having my hdmi re-wired to come out my a-pillar so I can have one screen for when I look to the left window and another in the middle instead of two in the middle. Since I can't black out one screen may as well make it useful! I have little to no interaction with my phone anymore! I'm loving this thing.

Remember everyone...almost all the problems that are related to BT are an Android Issue, not an appradio issue. ICS has a big BT bug. My BT Kiwi is even worse...not only do I have to reconnect every time...I have to put in a pin also. Whats good to know is after flashing JB on my S3 the BT problem is gone... connects like a champ...just no HDMI support for the appradio yet....There is hope though! As soon as we get the HDMI support on JB it should be a very nice setup! Now if they only add the damn microphone to CarKeyboard...Would make things much easier!

Now I'm assuming since Pioneer is aware of the ICS bug, that is why they only officially support GB.

All certified devices for use with this radio with the exception of the GNX are to be running GB...I know an OTA for some means problems...

What I did find is an app "Bluetooth Fix Repair" which stopped all my random drops.

Why can't you turn off the SGS3 screen when it is set to do HDMI out? Also, the Galaxy Nexus is supported so it's not just Gingerbread...

Why can't you turn off the SGS3 screen when it is set to do HDMI out? Also, the Galaxy Nexus is supported so it's not just Gingerbread...

As I mentioned above, the Nexus is the ONLY device supported with ICS because it came factory with it yet it suffers the same problems so it may as well not be but since the phone was so hyped they probably tested it very briefly and set it as compatible..BAD IDEA...but not.... I owned one for two weeks then returned it for the S3. As for the screen being off...this is another limitation of the android phone (all)...Since its only mirroring (not dual monitors) it shows everything that is sent to the GPU...including screen off...but since brightness is not GPU related dimming has no effect on the mirror. Now if your phone has a backlit LED screen then with root you can kill the backlight entirely. Otherwise your stuck with a dim screen.

Now if only Google would fix the BT bug (they wont because they did with JB)....So asking pioneer to fix something that isnt there problem wont do any good. The only thing we CAN push them for is JB support but I'm quite confident they already are. They have an Appradio development team....they do not go in their office and surf the web and thats it...sure a ton of the time ;) what clerical worker doesn't hahahaha but the fact is their full time job is Appradio firmware development.

Now I know with carriers forcing the ICS OTA update it kind of borks you....but again this is not Pioneers fault...nor is it Androids fault for keeping their software updates flowing.

Now if this were a Google app radio claiming android integration and had these problems...I would be livid.

I would think with so many first time adopters on here that the complaints would be less since they understand the nature of technology growing pains.

Just impatient twirps ;) (not any one specific on here)

As I mentioned above, the Nexus is the ONLY device supported with ICS because it came factory with it yet it suffers the same problems so it may as well not be but since the phone was so hyped they probably tested it very briefly and set it as compatible..BAD IDEA...but not.... I owned one for two weeks then returned it for the S3. As for the screen being off...this is another limitation of the android phone (all)...Since its only mirroring (not dual monitors) it shows everything that is sent to the GPU...including screen off...but since brightness is not GPU related dimming has no effect on the mirror. Now if your phone has a backlit LED screen then with root you can kill the backlight entirely. Otherwise your stuck with a dim screen.

Now if only Google would fix the BT bug (they wont because they did with JB)....So asking pioneer to fix something that isnt there problem wont do any good. The only thing we CAN push them for is JB support but I'm quite confident they already are. They have an Appradio development team....they do not go in their office and surf the web and thats it...sure a ton of the time ;) what clerical worker doesn't hahahaha but the fact is their full time job is Appradio firmware development.

Now I know with carriers forcing the ICS OTA update it kind of borks you....but again this is not Pioneers fault...nor is it Androids fault for keeping their software updates flowing.

Now if this were a Google app radio claiming android integration and had these problems...I would be livid.

I would think with so many first time adopters on here that the complaints would be less since they understand the nature of technology growing pains.

Just impatient twirps ;) (not any one specific on here)

There are those on here without any problems so I'm not sure what you're talking about. There are also devices, like the SGS3, that come stock with 4.0.x that aren't supported.

There are those on here without any problems so I'm not sure what you're talking about. There are also devices, like the SGS3, that come stock with 4.0.x that aren't supported.

There are GS3 users on here that only have to connect once to the appradio and thats it? I would like to speak with this guy and see a video of that.

you say no HDMI support on jelly bean? so how do you get audio output from the phone? last time i checked that was the only option.

Well on my GS3 running JB I should have said so its unofficial. But the BT paired and stuck everytime. When I plugged in the HDMI it acted as though nothing happend.