AVIC411.com

thinking about upgrading to a z140bh

hi guys, been a long time since i last posted.

i currently have a f90bt thats running on x series software. when i first got it i loved it, but as time went on, its buggy operation and slowness became more and more irritating. at this moment im tired of it, its too slow for me and i need better navigation.

i have been looking at the new gps head units pioneer has. both the z140bh and the x940bt. i have been wanting a z series avic for a very long time and am really considering this one. there are some questions i need answered first. heres a few:

1. loading time: how bad is it? how long does it take for the head unit to get its act together once its booted? on the f90bt it took a while for it to load, and once it booted it still took a while before things began operating "properly". its very annoying having to sit there for 3-5 minutes while the unit gets itself together, so that the gps can kick in or the music turn on. also, it has to completely reboot if you miss the clutch and have to turn the car on again. i also hate the unresponsive controls on the f90bt. sometimes i would have to touch a command more than once to get it to obey. pressing the pause/play button on the control menu was irritating because the icon is so small and if you dont press it just right it wont respond.

2. i like the idea of using pandora and all that. my issue is, does the iphone have to be connected via the cable to do this? i have a ipod i use for all my music, and the idea of unplugging it and connecting the iphone to the cable and vice versa seems troublesome. does the head unit connect to the iphone for the app features via bluetooth? i would prefer that i could have the iphone connected via bluetooth and the ipod connected to the cable at the same time.

3. is the gps pretty decent? the one on the f90bt with the upgraded 2011 maps sucks. its vague as hell, and will tell me to exit off the freeway right in front of the exit. when it doesnt try to get you to dive bomb the exits, its annoyingly repeating itself. it will tell me to enter the highway when there is no other choice but to enter and will repeatedly tell me the same thing over and over again. makes listening to music difficult with the constant interuptions. if i have to make a turn in 400 feet, i dont need to be reminded in 200, 100, 50, and then turn also.

I don't have a 140bh but have a 120bt upgraded to a 130bt. The 120 loads relatively fast and displays review camera even when it is not fully booted. I have never timed it but guessing under a minute. You have "agree" to the disclaimer for the nav part (if you use it) and that takes about another minute before that app fully loads and usable imo.

I use pandora almost all the time. I have an iphone and even though I have the cable installed I normally do not use it. If you leave your iphone connected and leave it in the car while off it drains the phone battery. The Bluetooth connection handles some commands on the HU (thumbs up/down, pause/play, etc.) but does not display art. You can still control everything on the phone too.

The GPS is decent but has some quirks that irritate me. For example, you do a search for Starbucks and the first in the list may be 100 miles away. Why would I want that as a default? You can hit the sort button a couple of times and get the closest but why should I have to do that? It's not a Garmin but not bad. Anyway I use GPS Drive on the iphone connected over BT about half the time.

I bought a Z140 about 3 months ago and have had few issues:

1 -The dvd player stopped working after few uses. Eventhough this is few thasand $$$$$, Pioneer wants me to uninstall and ship the unit to them at my cost for repair

2- The Traffic Info is very limitted

3- RDS does not work in Canada.

Pioneer refuses to assist in way beyond the standard generic Pioneer warranty, which applies to $100 unit aswell