AVIC411.com

Change MUTE to ATT setting doesn't work. Help AVH-P8400BH

Hey I just got a AVH-P8400BH recently and got it all hooked up and am trying to figure out how to change my mute button to ATT the sound Instaid of muting it. In the settings there is a option to change mute to -10 ATT or -20 ATT or MUTE. But it seems no matter what setting I have it on, when I press mute on the unit it just mutes.

Anyone else expirencing this? Or even notice? A fix?

Thanks.

I wonder could i wire the mute wire on the back of the deck to a switch to utilize the ATT setting in the settings menu? Or would it just end up just muting the system as well. I want to give it a try and install a little button in the dash but i need to know does that mute wire require a 12v signal or is it just a ground?

• 2 weeks later...

I believe it to be an input to mute the stereo entirely. As I thought for use with an external bluetooth device or other. Page 81 of the manual says if you use a device with a mute function then connect this, otherwise do not use it.

Maybe this is my problem ,

I connected the mute wire and I'm also using a GMOS-LAN-04 and ASWC Steering wheel button controller, and my unit has been flipping to "MUTE" all but itself and won't release until I shut down completely and re-start.

Seems random but happens a lot, usually after I finish putting everything back together :?

Taking the day off tomorrow, so I guess I'm taking the radio out yet again. 5th time in 3 days......

Reading the manual again and again and again, I think I finally got the point. The mute/10db/20db options only come into play when the remote wire on the harness is used, NOT THE MUTE BUTTON ON THE DISPLAY. The mute wire is meant to be used by and external device, but if you wanted to hook up an external switch to it, don't see why it would not work.

Reading the manual again and again and again, I think I finally got the point. The mute/10db/20db options only come into play when the remote wire on the harness is used, NOT THE MUTE BUTTON ON THE DISPLAY. The mute wire is meant to be used by and external device, but if you wanted to hook up an external switch to it, don't see why it would not work.

Hey Ridilen,

I wanted to give the switch a shot cause having no ATT really bothers me. I like to be able to ATT music when at stop lights so my system isnt pounding but i can still at least hear it.

Any suggestions on how i could wire a switch? Like will i need some sort of relay? Or a simple 2 prong switch? And do you think a 12v signal or is it just a ground? I dont want to break anything... :/

Thanks for any help...

Unfortunately I have no idea if it is 12V or ground. Best way to find out is to measure it, if you have a meter.

1. Put the red lead from the meter on Yellow/Black and the black lead from the meter on the vehicle chassis.

2. Measure DC voltage.

3. If it is 0V, then it should be taken to 12VDC, if 12VDC then it should be taken to chassis ground.

Either way you will need to make a connection at the brake switch. All brake systems I have worked on have 12VDC going to the brake and when you depress it the 12VDC goes to the brake lights. The latter is the wire you will have to identify. Try to find it by probing the connector on the brake pedal. Look for a 0VDC-12VDC change when pressing and releasing the pedal. I don't suggest stripping and measuring all wires.

When you find it, find a convenient place to attach a wire. In the manual they suggest using a squeezable crimp, this would be perfect. Please make sure to mount the wire in a way that it will not interfer with the brake pedal. I don't want to be responsible for anything happening to you.

Follow the drawing I attached for either method. If you do need a relay, a very small one will do. I can't imagine it requiring more than 100mA. You may wish to fuse it with possibly a 300mA fuse, but I wouldn't.

Good luck.

post-66198-0-43892500-1344865269_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wow thank you for such a detailed reply.. I was actually able to get a ATT button with out having to wire anything! I saw a universal pioneer remote online for only 5 dollars and it had a ATT button on it so i thought why not give it a shot. And fantastically it actually works!!! It attenuates the sound and does not mute.. Couldn't be happier... Well id prefer to be able to do it right on the main unit but this will have to do and is second best option.

But thanks again for your help..

• 11 months later...