AVIC411.com

I bought the 2012 Navtek update and installed it about a week ago. I thought I'd post my impressions of its value for others to consider.

I live in Ottawa Canada and the previous maps were frankly lousy. Many area's of the city, built within the last 5 year were not accurate or even included. Rural areas close to the city were patchy including only major roads. POI were very thin with few restaurants and even the major museums and national sights missing.

I thought the 2012 upgrade would be a dramatic improvement. It was a disappointment. Urban maps and near by country side is marginally improved but still lacking (see below), rural Quebec is still non existent. POI's are better but a free app on my phone is far more comprehensive.

For comparison I have a Garmin Nuvi 50 I bought for my wife's car. It cost about the same as the upgrade $120. It is far more accurate and complete and includes an astonishing database of POI. On a recent trip from Ottawa to Washington virtually everything I could find on yelp or tripAdvisor or Google was already in the POI. If I had to guess I'd say map wise the navtek upgrade is not more than 80% of the garmin and poi wise not even 30% of th Garmin.

At $20 the Navtek upgrade might be worth it at $120 it's a cruel joke.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So will find out on the weekend how this all works.

Thanks

Update should be on two SD cards, first card has map update and it will ask you to get password, second card should be software update and it should not ask you anything.

As advice: Try to update map first, and after update have finished, go in to testmode (if you have't updated software it will have copy/paste option) and copy contains of NDATA forlder -it will have new map on it. Than you will have chance to put new map in to other unit using testmode. Make backup of second unit's NDATA folder before making any changes.

Only then update software and you will have X940BT with limited testmode without copy/paste function.

It would be great if you share software update (second SD card) and NDATA folder with new maps.

Update should be on two SD cards, first card has map update and it will ask you to get password, second card should be software update and it should not ask you anything.

As advice: Try to update map first, and after update have finished, go in to testmode (if you have't updated software it will have copy/paste option) and copy contains of NDATA forlder -it will have new map on it. Than you will have chance to put new map in to other unit using testmode. Make backup of second unit's NDATA folder before making any changes.

Only then update software and you will have X940BT with limited testmode without copy/paste function.

It would be great if you share software update (second SD card) and NDATA folder with new maps.

uhh... the people that already got it said its just one sd card

I bought the 2012 Navtek update and installed it about a week ago. I thought I'd post my impressions of its value for others to consider.

I live in Ottawa Canada and the previous maps were frankly lousy. Many area's of the city, built within the last 5 year were not accurate or even included. Rural areas close to the city were patchy including only major roads. POI were very thin with few restaurants and even the major museums and national sights missing.

I thought the 2012 upgrade would be a dramatic improvement. It was a disappointment. Urban maps and near by country side is marginally improved but still lacking (see below), rural Quebec is still non existent. POI's are better but a free app on my phone is far more comprehensive.

For comparison I have a Garmin Nuvi 50 I bought for my wife's car. It cost about the same as the upgrade $120. It is far more accurate and complete and includes an astonishing database of POI. On a recent trip from Ottawa to Washington virtually everything I could find on yelp or tripAdvisor or Google was already in the POI. If I had to guess I'd say map wise the navtek upgrade is not more than 80% of the garmin and poi wise not even 30% of th Garmin.

At $20 the Navtek upgrade might be worth it at $120 it's a cruel joke.

I just received the Pioneer update. How long did the update take to install? The Pioneer Help section mentions 3 hours but for a different update.

Hi!

Good question! I haven't done our update yet either. I did see the comment about 3 hrs, and that you should connect the battery to a charger. Was Sargasso's or your nav unit the 9310bt?

Thanks

My unit is the 9310bt installed in a 2012 Outback. I'm hoping it doesn't really require 3h to install.

Hi!

I updated the maps today in our x9310bt. The process wasn't near as bad as was described in the instruction guide. Nor did it take as long.

The instruction guide described how it would take 3 hours to do the install & update.

Nonsense!

From start to finish, maybe it was 25 minutes. After the updates the Version number changed from 3.00 to 4.00 . Haven't noticed anything else yet. (its only been an hour.)

Also, when you get the password, Pioneer states how getting the password you can only do once, and that the nav nunit and the media are linked together. So copying .... don't think that will work.

Looking forward to see what the update has brought forth.

Thanks

Also, when you get the password, Pioneer states how getting the password you can only do once, and that the nav nunit and the media are linked together. So copying .... don't think that will work.

this has been the case for prior updates (as it is with many stand-alone navs like tomtom and garmin units) but the files are hacked so that they can update any unit. just waiting for someone to upload the files and hopefully whoever hacked the files before can do it again. seems like the same passcode procedure so hopefully who ever hacked the files before doesn't have to do too much work.

Hi!

We've had the 2012 map update (new maps) going for our x9310 for a week.

We have noted that there is more detail in the maps for our area (Halifax Nova Scotia Canada). Paths, roads, rail lines ... all more detail. Way more shading too.

Haven't got the blue tooth audio to work yet, the phone works fine.

Certainly worth the money for us.

Thanks

Hi!

I updated the maps today in our x9310bt. The process wasn't near as bad as was described in the instruction guide. Nor did it take as long.

The instruction guide described how it would take 3 hours to do the install & update.

Nonsense!

From start to finish, maybe it was 25 minutes. After the updates the Version number changed from 3.00 to 4.00 . Haven't noticed anything else yet. (its only been an hour.)

Looking forward to see what the update has brought forth.

Thanks

so you took a 910 all the way to a 940? did you lose anything?