AVIC411.com

New 2012 Map Upgrade at Pioneer website!!!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah we get this every year on this forum from people that just don't seem to realize what they are being offered. Of course they could just not offer the ability to software upgrade your year old unit to the new current unit and just require you to spend another 1000 plus dollars if you want to upgrade but instead they offer you that same ability for a 120 bucks. I really don't see the problem especially when none of Pioneer's competitors allow software upgrades at all.

Competitors do offer free map upgrades, though, so the rip off sentiment is more than valid. If we were just talking about software, then fine. But we aren't.

Well yeah, we are. Its a software upgrade. But I don't see the relevance.

You make it so difficult to be friendly...

I originally thought it was to be one in the same myself, but others have suggested otherwise. It is labeled only as a "map update" by Pioneer, though it does list feature enhancements as well. Is this ambiguity typical of such an upgrade? I would hope that Pioneer would list if it is truly an entire software upgrade since that could mean loss of features like voice recognition for navigation. If it is also an entire software upgrade, it is still a rip-off, but I would pay for it if it is truly improved (though it does not look like it is). As should have been clear in my post, my whole beef with the setup was that it was $120 for two separate upgrades.

This is not just a map upgrade it will take away the VR functions for POI and Address!, which is the reason I bought the z130bt instead of the z140bh. It will also give you advanced app modes and Andriod functions. According to the upgrade manual you should get and use the Z140bh manual as your operating manual if you do this upgrade.

I originally thought it was to be one in the same myself, but others have suggested otherwise.

Well forget what others have suggested. What did I tell you?

it will take away the VR functions for POI and Address!

And who has confirmed this?

Well page 18 in Chapter 4 spells out very clearly what will not work after the upgrade. Page 14 Chapter 3 tells you that the z140 operating manual should be used after the upgrade. I would upgrade if it was just the maps , but I don't have an Andriod, Don't need the advanced app features and don't want to lose any VR functions. Looks like I'm saving 120.00 bucks.

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse here, Pioneer tech support told me that the map upgrade is not offered by Pioneer and is provided directly from Navteq so are you saying that Navteq is going to upgrade/alter Pioneer's Z130 software features via their map upgrade? There is zero indication that such is the case at Pioneer's website. BTW, What is "Page 18 Chapter 4" that you're referring to? Does Navteq send a manual with the SD card for the map? Maybe you're talking about the as yet nonexistent upgrade from Z130 to Z140 instead of the map only upgrade? If so, I understand that there is a dispute among the posters as to whether VR functions wil or wil not be lost. My original question was why bother to go to the Z140 if the only improvement in the Z140 is a better map program? Let the flaming begin.

When you are in the Pioneer web site looking at the z130bt map upgrade, open the z130bt upgrade page go to manuals and brochures page and open the installation manual and read it. it will tell you that it will change the features on your 130 to those of the 140. The page and chapters are directly from the install manual. Looks like Pioneer sent Nav Tech code to include with the maps. Here is the link, http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Accessories/Map-Upgrades/NAVTEQ+2012+Map+Upgrade+for+AVIC-Z130BT,+AVIC-X930BT,+and+AVIC-X9310BT

Thanks for the link. That's where I ordered the map update. I guess an interpretation of what is contained there might be that the map update is really a Z130 to Z140 upgrade but I guess I mistakenly believed that upgrades like the Z110 to Z130 and Z130 to Z140 would be done through Pioneer. Guess I'll find out when the map update from Navteq arrives.

One final comment and then I'll shut-up. I went to the Pioneer map update link I did find the owner's manual and clicked on it. Lo' and behold, there was the manual for the Z140. It seems to me that Pioneer would have made the fact that this was an update to Z140 more obvious than finding out through clicking on the owner's manual. Anyway, Thanks for all the insights and I hope that I can be of assistance to others on the forum.

When you are in the Pioneer web site looking at the z130bt map upgrade, open the z130bt upgrade page go to manuals and brochures page and open the installation manual and read it. it will tell you that it will change the features on your 130 to those of the 140. The page and chapters are directly from the install manual. Looks like Pioneer sent Nav Tech code to include with the maps. Here is the link, http://www.pioneerel...nd AVIC-X9310BT

Well thats the confirmation then. Thanks for posting.

One final comment and then I'll shut-up. I went to the Pioneer map update link I did find the owner's manual and clicked on it. Lo' and behold, there was the manual for the Z140. It seems to me that Pioneer would have made the fact that this was an update to Z140 more obvious than finding out through clicking on the owner's manual. Anyway, Thanks for all the insights and I hope that I can be of assistance to others on the forum.

So you are clear now? Are you sure?