AVIC411.com

Map upgrade/feature update 2012 removes address/poi voice search

I read the 32-page PDF linked above.

Not sure there's any (or at least not enough) benefit from updating.

Certainly don't want to take the chance on bricking my AVIC.

I did the NavTec map update to my Z130BT - worked flawlessly. Haven't given the GPS a real test for routing but maps show a lot more current POI's The now lack of voice for the GPS is a little annoying, I did use it a couple of times before, but it was also buggy which was annoying too.

• 2 weeks later...

I did the NavTec map update to my Z130BT - worked flawlessly. Haven't given the GPS a real test for routing but maps show a lot more current POI's The now lack of voice for the GPS is a little annoying, I did use it a couple of times before, but it was also buggy which was annoying too.

I updated.

First time I tried using the (2012) maps, last night, I plugged in an address that's fairly remote and quite rural.

The AVIC directions got me within a mile or two of my chosen destination; my iPhone iOS6 maps got me to the proper place.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

the risk of bricking is low, but if you get the official update from pioneer, and it does actually brick your unit, then common sense (not necessarily their policy) dictates that they should repair it and deal with that situation.

Don't count on them to do the right thing....speaking from personal experience. I had an AVH-P7500 system and updated a few days prior to leaving for a cross-country US trip in late 2010. I bought the official Pioneer software package and the update SEEMED to work properly. However, when I rebooted the system (after all the progress bars and status screens confirmed that I had successfully applied the updates) and the nav system was knocked completely out of calibration. Multiple resets did nothing to clear the problem....and I was within a day or two of leaving for this trip. I called Pioneer and they said that there was NO way their software could brick my nav system. They refused to take responsibliity and even told me that there was NO firmware update included in this map update package.....even though I watched the firmware progress bar during the update. So, the whole system went into a box and I had to run out and buy a Z120BT. If there had been something better at the time, you can bet that I would NOT have given Pioneer any more of my money. Their software had basically trashed a $3000+ system.

So, don't count on Pioneer to do the right thing.

Also, you can understand that I'm a bit nervous about doing another map update, but I'm thinking about it. Wish me luck.