AVIC411.com

Upcoming iPhone 5 and AppRadio/AppRadio 2 Support

Hey guys,

Has anyone thought about what's gonna happen when the new iPhone with smaller 9 pin doc connector is released? I'm really hoping that Apple or Pioneer has an usable adapter waiting in the wings or the AppRadio and AppRadio 2 will be basically useless to everyone that upgrades their phones.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what's going to happen. The page for apple's Lightning-to-30-pin-adapter says "This adapter lets you connect devices with a Lightning connector to many of your 30-pin accessories.* Video and iPod Out not supported."

The whole presentation on iPhone 5's new connector during the keynote suggests (to me) that they have removed video output capabilities from the new connector... Phil schiller made it a point to mention that now everyone uses airplay....

So I'm not sure what's going to happen. Apple may have killed all aftermarket headunits that have any kind of App Mode.

I posted a question in the Apple Online Store for both L230P adapters. I am not sure how this adapter serves any purpose if the video and ipod streams are not supported.

The bigger question will be if iOS 6 is also going to be supported. It will suck to be 1 iOS version behind on my current iPhone 4S.

Anyone have any feel of how quick Pioneer has been in the past to test and respond?

I also don't know what to make of the "Video and iPod out not supported" line. Hopefully Pioneer can get something for us to buy (probably a new cable they'll try to charge us $50 for) but if that's what it takes thats fine. It's already $30 for the adapter from Apple that wont work anyways. By the way, is that adapter only for charging since it would be useless in sending out audio or video?

That is good sign for those with iPhone 4/4S and plan to stay. It shows in the keynote that those who do iPod in their cars can continue to do so with the adapters. Unfortunately, it seems like all the control is/will be on the iOS device vs controlling the library/playback from the accessory.

I called Pioneer on another issue and asked at the end if they had any official news to share. The tech said nothing official. Apple being Apple, the device has not been openly shared with the likes of Pioneer to work on adapting their accessories. Therefore Pioneer will most likely not get their hands on a iP5 until the general public begin to receive theirs. If the device connects and tests generally pass, they will most likely work on supporting the device. If the device connects partially and there are more problems than successes, they will most likely NOT work towards certification of the iP5 with the AR devices.

In my opinion, this is a big fail on Apple's part. Most rooms with projectors are not network enabled. They still have VGA cables plopped in the middle of the table. The same is true with most car stereos. I suppose in 1-2 years we might all be thanking them for eliminating unsightly cables in our vehicles. But for the here and now... it seems like the accessories should have evolved before the connector. But I guess the only way to drive the accessory community into the AirPlay/Wireless approach is to force it.

The wheels are still turning in my head...

One *could* connect an AppleTV to the HDMI connection in their AppRadio, and then use AirPlay Mirroring to project to their AR. I suppose control from the touch screen would be eliminated. But it would at least provide audio/video support wirelessly to your screen.

Has anyone tried this to see if you truly loose the touch screen of if the ATV knows via the digital HDMI its a touch screen?

Also, read an interesting CNET article about how other vehicle manufacturers are going to have the same issue. What it boils down to is the new 9 pin is 100% digital. So Apple basically eliminated all analog output. Therefore, if the car stereo relies on the analog signal for audio/video, then the accessory most likely will NOT function. However if it relies on the digital data signals and uses its own digital to analog converter, then chances are it will be somewhat to fully compatible.

I *think* AR relies on the 30 PIN analog video for actual video output. However it uses digital data to manage touch screen response, iPod Control, as well as Pandora link. So my prognosis is iPod, Pandora, and Phone *CONTROLS* will function. However audio will not be heard unless you cane pipe it through the bluetooth. Video in AppMode will probably also non functional, even though digital feedback on the touch screen will still be sensed.

If we can confirm if AppRadio uses the digital or analog, that might give us a better hint what to expect.

Sorry - the brain is working overtime on this one. If this is the same cable used for the AppRadio 2, then it says it uses the digital for the best audio/video quality possible. If that is the cable the 30 to 9pin adapter may actually work to port the Advanced AppMode and iPod/Pandora from IP4 to AR!

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Accessories/iPod-and-iPhone-Cables/CD-IU201S

I am uncertain of that working. I think the connection with that cable is digital for audio and ipod controls, but it specifically mentions RGB, which is an analog signal.... Plus, the extra connector on the Appradio for video is s-video I think, which also is analog. Apple's info on the Lightning connector tout it as "fully digital" .... So I think the current generation of headunits is going to be SOL with the iPhone 5.