AVIC411.com

Upcoming iPhone 5 and AppRadio/AppRadio 2 Support

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, read an interesting CNET article about how other vehicle manufacturers are going to have the same issue. What it boils down to is the new 9 pin is 100% digital. So Apple basically eliminated all analog output. Therefore, if the car stereo relies on the analog signal for audio/video, then the accessory most likely will NOT function. However if it relies on the digital data signals and uses its own digital to analog converter, then chances are it will be somewhat to fully compatible.

I *think* AR relies on the 30 PIN analog video for actual video output. However it uses digital data to manage touch screen response, iPod Control, as well as Pandora link. So my prognosis is iPod, Pandora, and Phone *CONTROLS* will function. However audio will not be heard unless you cane pipe it through the bluetooth. Video in AppMode will probably also non functional, even though digital feedback on the touch screen will still be sensed.

If we can confirm if AppRadio uses the digital or analog, that might give us a better hint what to expect.

I was just reading the same thing about the new 9-pin connector being fully digital. I tend to agree with you that I *think* audio and/or video are handled via analog signalling.

The cable that comes with the AR2 has a breakaway USB plug in the middle so that you can stick a flash drive in it to do firmware updates. But even when you disconnect the USB plug, there's still a portion of cable that runs to the back of the head unit. I assume this is where the analog signals pass through. But is it for audio, video, or both?

I'm glad I saw this thread early on because this will be a huge problem in the future and I'd like to keep up with all the discussion. I still 8 mos. left on my iPhone 4S contract, but after that I will most likely update to the iP5. The question is, will I have to trash my AR2 and find another head unit? How annoying!

Sorry - the brain is working overtime on this one. If this is the same cable used for the AppRadio 2, then it says it uses the digital for the best audio/video quality possible. If that is the cable the 30 to 9pin adapter may actually work to port the Advanced AppMode and iPod/Pandora from IP4 to AR!

http://www.pioneerel...ables/CD-IU201S

The Appradio2 uses a different cable that is probably not all digital. There's a USB junction in the center of the cable that can be detached for firmware updates via USB, but there is still a portion of the cable aside from the USB junction. I assume that the undetachable part of the cable carries analog audio and/or video. If so, then even Apple's adapter will not work for us.

When I replace my 4S with an iP5, I envision that my Appradio will be unceremoniously thrown into the Pacific ocean. I'll have to go with a new head unit with built-in GPS and A2DP bluetooth streaming. No more of this cable nonsense.

I bought the AR2 to save money, since I could use my iPhone to be the "brains" of my mobile infotainment. It's beginning to look like I'll have to overhaul my system (and spend more $) if I want to switch to an iP5. Balls!

I am uncertain of that working. I think the connection with that cable is digital for audio and ipod controls, but it specifically mentions RGB, which is an analog signal.... Plus, the extra connector on the Appradio for video is s-video I think, which also is analog. Apple's info on the Lightning connector tout it as "fully digital" .... So I think the current generation of headunits is going to be SOL with the iPhone 5.

Do you suppose it's possible for Pioneer to make an entirely new cable specifically for the iPhone 5 (i.e. all digital)? Or do you think the head unit itself cannot support a full digital connection?

If it is possible, the cable will likely be $100, just like the Android cable. I would consider that over buying a whole new head unit.

I just wrote Pioneer to clarify what is analog with the current AR2/iPhone 4 setup. I also asked about an iPhone 5-specific cable. When I clicked "submit" I got a server error. I don't know if my inquiry went thorugh. Balls!

I am going to get an iPhone 5 regardless.. What I plan on doing until there is a workable solution, is I will continue connecting my iPhone 4 in the car, with no cellular service, and I will WiFi tether the 4 to the 5's data plan so I will still have functional navigation/pandora capabilities.

Does anyone know any head units that support all digital control, audio, and video? At this point, those are the best candidates to work to some degree with the iP5. Anything that uses the analog might as well go on clearance right now.

Also, has anyone even seen if the Lightning connector will support video out, at all? The fact there isnt lightening HDMI or DVI connectors is alarming to say the least that video of any kind wont even work.

I'm beginning to think that Apple expects everybody to use Airplay to send video. I have doubts now that the new connector is even capable of sending video out.

I googled "Airplay via bluetooth" and there is more out there to read. it seems possible, so perhaps a new Firmware update can let the iPhone see the Appradio as an airplay device in order to transmit video. I bet we'd still have to use the provided cable in order to retain touchscreen functionality.

Even if Pioneer decided it was worth it to try and do Airplay via BT, its going to take them MONTHS. The iPhone 5 is here now. Not many are going to wait that long to upgrade the device they use the most... even more than their car stereo. They are going to upgrade the phone and seek another option in the car.

I just wish there was more information to make a better educated guess.... even if its a $30 or $40 adapter/cable... its still a gamble and most likely a good portion of the stereo is going to be obsolete. So why even hang on to the AppRadio? Might as well go to something that works 100% even if it does not have the fancy AppMode.

Its just frustrating because I picked up the AR2 a week after the US launch. I worked through LOTS of issues. Pandora Black Screens. AppRadio App not "pairing". AppMode App launching the embedded Pandora App randomly. It took LOTS of hours on the phone with Pioneer to work through these issues. I reset my iPhone, restored from iCloud, even got a warranty swap out from Apple. Best Buy even swapped the AR2 for another unit after witnessing the issues. It finally works as intended and very reliably. Now I have to weigh the blood sweat and tears against the desire to upgrade the device that I use the most in my life.

@djchad72 - Thanks. I'll read up on their facebook page.

@ov3n - I too plan to get an iPhone 5 regardless. Is tethering only for jailbroken phones? If there is no workable solution I will probably just get a new radio altogether. I miss bluetooth streaming.

Tethering is not only for jailbroken phones. Any of verizon's new plans and at&t's 2gb+ shared plans include tethering. Not sure about Sprint.

There is a little hope, though. MacRumors and TheVerge are reporting that Apple says an adaptor will be out in the near future that is capable of HDMI and VGA out.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/13/3329062/apple-lightning-hdmi-vga-cable-adapter-coming-months