AVIC411.com

Upcoming iPhone 5 and AppRadio/AppRadio 2 Support

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So tonight I finally remembered to try taking the iPhone 5 with its included lightning USB cable out to my Jeep. I took the 30 PIN Pioneer cable that comes with the AppRadio 2 and unplugged the USB cable (where you would insert a thumb drive for updates). I then plugged in the Lightning USB cable.

There was a bit of excitement because the iPhone 5 beeped and was at least receiving a charge. So charging works. Next I noticed the iPod, Apps, and Pandora icons lit up. So the AppRadio detects there is a smartphone connected or that a device is drawing power... which ever.

But it was downhill from there.

1. Launched iPod. AppRadio said "Ready" that was it.
  2. Launched Pandora. AppRadio said "please launch the Pandora app on your smartphone...." Then disappeared. I launched Pandora on the iP5 and it didnt detect there was an accessory.
  3. Launched AppRadio app on iP5. Pressed Apps button on AppRadio. The iP5 AR App never detected accessory and changed to the "paired up" screen. The AR App however did give me the WARNING screen. I pressed OKAY and got the black screen.
  4. Launched YouTube on iP5 and played a video. Typically, I can go into Advanced AppMode and watch a video from YouTube, Netflix, etc... But screen on AR2 remained black and the video only played on the iP5.

So... although I did not expect magic to happen, I did at least hope for audio to output over the USB portion of the cable. However the fact the AR2 detected the smartphone and lit up the icons does provide SOME hope. Given iPhone 4 and 4S still work via iOS6, we know we didnt LOOSE any software functions. Its just a matter if the hardware can be supported.

It sucks we have to wait another couple weeks on the Lightning and 30 pin adapters/cables... But maybe there is some hope *some* functionality will carry though via the iP5. To me, at least if one or the other (iPod/Pandora vs Advanced App Mode) work... that at least gives us something to get by on until a better iP5 solution comes along. Until then, I am stuck always packing my iPhone 4 along for the ride (which I only use for work calls) everywhere I go.

Hey djchad (or anybody else),

i just read this comment on Appradioworld, "I just received my adapter. and with the latest app i can tell you that everything works except video out. so music works and steering controls work as well so pioneer doesn't use ipod control or already found a way to override it. however there is still nothing official released from pioneer or apple about the video out cables."

He doesn't specify which AppRadio he had, but can somebody confirm that with the latest App, does the iPod still work? Album art and track info? At least that would be some good news.

I plugged my iphone 5 into the app radio 2 with the apple dock connector. It charges the phone, it knows that the app radio is connected and prompts for you to accept the connection.

Pretty much only pandora and the ipod work,

Pandora plays and controls fine from the deck, the artwork displays. Im not sure if there was some background app going on , but every so often the video would go blank, you have to reselect pandora for it to display again, and the controls were lost. You have to disconnect the phone and reconnect to regain the function through the deck.

No video displays with the adapter.

appradio has the newest firmware and app is most current.

Apple is still suppose to release additional cables that will support video out. So advanced App Mode may yet still be salvaged. But at least being able to play my music off my 64gb iP5 and Pandora is better than my limited 8gb iP4 that I use for work. I can still use the iPhone 4 if I need GPS or such. But my majority use is music.

In the end we will be better off if wireless control and outputs are used, such as Wifi airplay or Bluetooth control via MAP or SPP.