AVIC411.com

ND-TMC10 Traffic Tuner

I just upgraded my Z110 to the Z130 and wanted to install the traffic tuner. I went to the local audio shop which is also a authorized Pioneer dealer to purchase the tuner and have it installed. When they went to order the traffic tuner Pioneer told them it is discontinued and they were not able to get it. I went to Crutchfield and ordered from them. Pioneer said that once the existing supply is gone that will be it. So if anyone is thinking about installing the traffic tuner you might want to move on it. Once the audio shops supply is gone that will be it. So says Pioneer. Just wanted to pass this along.

There were talking about the ND-TMC10 not the MSN tuner. The thought being the new models were all going to have the traffic tuner as part of the head unit. At least that is what the Audio shop told me.

I got mine from Crutchfield for $99.99 and free shipping. Ordered it yesterday and is scheduled for delivery on Thursday. I'm away this weekend so I guess next week sometime for the install.

I did not know you could still buy the MSN tuner.

I did not know you could still buy the MSN tuner.

Sorry, poor wording. I didn't mean to imply the old MSN tuner was still for sale on Amazon. It would truely be worthless. I was trying to say the ND-TMC10 was still available.

AFA new units already having the traffic tuner, that only applies to the Z130/Z140. The X9x0BT series, as well as the older Z110/Z120 units would still be upgradable. So they can't really claim there is no market for it.

• 4 months later...

They probably schedule production runs based on inventory and demand. And I wouldn't be supprised if they aren't making any since I would expect demand may be waining. However, this post (saying it's been discontinued) was posted in Sept 2012 and the tuner is still widely available - many still at full price ~$99. If it was indeed being discontinued, major retailers like Crutchfield and Amazon would be cleaning out inventory with large discounts. So I don't think it is going to disappear any time soon.

The same product is also sold with a different model number (CXE- 2176), so that adds to the confusion.

BTW, I bought mine off ebay for $65 (new) w/free shipping. That seems to be the street price - I wouldn't pay much more.

ND-TMC10 and CXE-2176 being the same unit.

There really is no difference between the two? Really odd they make same unit with different part numbers.

I have not taken apart two side by side, but I will tell you from firsthand experience that CXE2176 works just fine on x920bt, z110bt, and x930bt (and basically all z110+ and x920+ having 2011+ software).

I'm pretty sure CXE2176 is the oem part number (for example, for the tuner included w/ z130bt) - and ND-TMC10 is the "retail" partnumber for buying separately.

Anyone who has any experience with Pioneer's "part numbering scheme" knows that they make no freaking sense whatsoever.

Just take some time to try to understand the X/Z/F series and submodel numbering difference. They are quite literally all over the map and dont seem to have any logical reasoning or hint of consistency.

• 2 weeks later...