AVIC411.com

iPhone 5 cable issues

Apple is going to add to our cable problems. The new dock connector know as "lightning" will have an adapter to allow it to be used with our 30 pin connectors, but according to Apple, "This adapter lets you connect devices with a Lightning connector to many of your 30-pin accessories.* Video and iPod Out not supported."

So, if you get a new iPhone 5, you have to get a new AV cable to connect to your Avic. I don't see these mentioned anywhere at this time.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Apple's Lightning-to-30-pin adapter doesn't support video out, only working to transfer power, USB data, and analog and USB audio" - from the verge. I think this is important to note. The adapter will transfer data, so if you have the a/v cables plugged in through the headphone jack and the 30 pin to lightening adapter plugged in we should be all set for audio support in our car. Granted that the iphone 5 plays nice with the avic which may not be the case. As for video I think we will be out of luck, but just about every device will be out of luck since the only way to get video off the device is through airplay. Eventually a hdmi/vga connector for lightening is coming out but no time frame yet.

Doh! When I saw that an adapter was available, I just assumed that video out would be supported (my wife keeps ~20 disney movies on her phone for appeasing the kids in the car). Now I need to decide if I want to cancel my pre-order- losing video in the car will likely be deal breaker for her.

I guess we could just plug the old phone in for movies in the car while waiting to see if Pioneer comes through with a new cable...

Guys the only way to get video onto the unit with the i5 is through Airplay and no units from Pioneer or anyone else supports Airplay at this time. Also app video out is not supported by Airplay so you can kiss App Mode goodbye with the i5 with any head unit. We wont see total i5 support until a completely new unit is announced and that wont be till January and it likely will not offer total i5 support either. Whatever Pioneer or anyone else announces at CES in January is already finalized and in testing right now and it is too late to offer full support for the i5. Forget complete i5 support from any currant unit and it will likely take Pioneer at least two months to offer even an audio cable. Either hang on to your current iDevice for use with the unit or accept that you will not be able to use the i5 beyond BT with any of the currently available units from any manufacture. And that includes OEM as well. It sucks but that is the way it is. Hell I was looking for a 64GB 4S last night specifically for tis purpose to use with the AR2 when I buy my car soon and they are all gone and no longer made. So yeah, I feel your pain. That all being said, the fact that Apple is doing away with the dock connector control protocol and going with something much better will be a good thing eventually. Once that happens most of us that don't like it now wont care how we felt then.

Re-reading tail24 reply above, it seems that an i5 audio will work fine with the current Apple AV composite cable and the new lightning adapter. There should be no need for anything to have to connect into the headphone jack, just plug into the dock connector as I do now with my 3GS and play away. I should have access to an i5 in a week or so and will test it out before I commit to a purchase of one myself.

I searched all over to try and find an answer to this...

this is what I found in macworld.

"As with the 30-pin connector, the Lightning connector supports video output; Apple told Macworld that Lightning-to-HDMI and Lightning-to-VGA cables will be available “in the coming months.â€"

found from: http://www.macworld....ns_for_you.html

also from : http://www.trustedre...cables-incoming

So the real question is, how soon will pioneer be able to research and engineer a cable that goes from the lightning port to our radios?

Also, I wonder, if I were to take the lightning cable that came with the iphone, plug it into the usb port that the iphone cable plugs into, then take a male-male headphone cable and plug it into the other female cable attached, would THAT work? Just wondering... I doubt it, but what if...

Also found here: http://avic411.com/i...we-know-so-far/

From what we currently understand, the iphone 5, with the 30 pin adapter and the current cable from pioneer:

Will support audio iPod output.

Will support audio out apps (like Pandora)

Might support controls (thumb up, thumb down, next, etc)

Will NOT support video iPod, video app, or Enhanced App Radio functions.

do you guys remember this thing called an iPod? instead of investing more money on accessories just get an ipod (classic). i keep one in my car all the time and its loaded with all my music and movies. i just bring it in once and a while to sync when i have new stuff. 160 gigs that just sits in my center console and i dont forget it or leave it behind.