AVIC411.com

Iphone 5 Cable?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: That's what I was wondering. What are all these people watching while they drive?

silly rabbit,

doesn't mean that the driver is watching anything, very well could be passengers watching through auxiliary screens as designed or even legally while parked...

• 4 weeks later...

so i guess this past post number 111 answered my question of has Pioneer come out with any solution for the Iphone 5 to work with the united and i guess the answer is still no

but did i read ones that the lightning adapter from apple will allow us to use a Iphone 5 with our units it just won't allow video mode correct ?

what if you use this http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD825ZM/A/lightning-to-vga-adapter?fnode=3a plus this http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?seq=1&format=2&p_id=2509&CAWELAID=1329459273&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CLOlw7yU6bQCFQJx4Aod6AsAew and a composite video cable and audio out of the headphone jack...

I know it is a slew of cables but that would be your video out? yes?

• 4 weeks later...

As a long time Pioneer user, I really have officially given up on them.  The lack of information from Pioneer on this iPhone 5 issue with 2012 AVIC units is sad.  Perhaps they can't fix certain things, but they really should provide explanations for what works and what doesn't, and why.  They should try the offical Apple adapter and post findings.  Seems like its up to the great forum members here to do all the testing.

But the main reason is, firmware updates.  Let's face it, they are never provided.  I went through this on my D1 - although updates were perfectly possible, Pioneer expects you to buy the next year model to fix your problems.  I have the AVIC940, and it is riddled with issues with App Radio, Bluetooth, connection issues, etc. etc.  They all could be fixed, but I will NEVER see a firmware update.  Pioneer has the power through USB, but they never do it.  Buy the new 2013!

Some company needs to make an Android radio that you can download whatever d@mn app you want, like Slacker, Rhapsody, etc. etc.  Pandora blows, Slacker is in aHa, but my iPhone 5 is screwed with this unit.

Sorry to complain - I have had Pioneers since 1993.  In this day and age when everyone provided TIMELY firmware updates, Pioneer does squat.  

timely firmware updates with android? yeah right, unless you have a nexus device, you will always be behind on updates. if your lucky, its only a few months, a lot of the time its a year or more if ever...

unfortunately, this is how it is with just about all of the brands, something has to be seriously wrong or broken for them to go back through and release a fix for it.

Chlarikd they are not timely, but pioneer does have "updates" that bring your unit up to same as latest model. They are the yearly map updates. They are expensive but you can make an x920 run the same software as 940 or z110 run same software as z140. Now this may all change with new 50 series because of new ui and nav, which would be a major needed update - currently pioneers ui is tired and just unpolished and the nav is worst-in-class. Because of new hardware this might be changing this upgrade ability for older units. But then again If that were the case and we are talking about a new generation of medels, i would expext a new line of model numbers - say z210, etc. but anybody who knows anything about pioneer model numbering at least with avic series knows that somebody let a monkey on crack go nuts with a bag of alphabet tiles.

timely firmware updates with android? yeah right, unless you have a nexus device, you will always be behind on updates. if your lucky, its only a few months, a lot of the time its a year or more if ever...

unfortunately, this is how it is with just about all of the brands, something has to be seriously wrong or broken for them to go back through and release a fix for it.

Ok - you got me there on Android.  But I blame that mostly on the fact that someone like Motorola and Samsung have 30 or so phones worldwide to maintain at a time - they just can't see to handle it.  Apple only has 5 of so iOS iPhones since 2007 to maintain, and they do a much better job at keeping them up to date.  If someone had an Android-based car stereo line, they *should* be able to keep up with maintenance since it is only a handful of units.  It just takes the RIGHT company that cares - a stereo has a much longer lifespan than the average phone.

Chlarikd they are not timely, but pioneer does have "updates" that bring your unit up to same as latest model. They are the yearly map updates. They are expensive but you can make an x920 run the same software as 940 or z110 run same software as z140. Now this may all change with new 50 series because of new ui and nav, which would be a major needed update - currently pioneers ui is tired and just unpolished and the nav is worst-in-class. Because of new hardware this might be changing this upgrade ability for older units. But then again If that were the case and we are talking about a new generation of medels, i would expext a new line of model numbers - say z210, etc. but anybody who knows anything about pioneer model numbering at least with avic series knows that somebody let a monkey on crack go nuts with a bag of alphabet tiles.

Right - so why do I need a whole new expensive map update to fix basic things that are wrong with bluetooth, app radio, Pandora, etc.?  That should be free - you know, to make the unit perform as advertised.  They should have some responsibility there, but in my experience over the last 20 years with Pioneer has been that they abandon support after 1 year or less.

So I am not looking to upgrade my 2012 unit to the latest 2013 functions.  I just want the 2012 functions to WORK properly.  Half the time Pandora images do not appear, Bluetooth Audio will not turn on until I first switch to another source and then back again, the Bluetooth Connect button on the screen never works, the App Radio UI needs a major overhaul, etc. etc.  They should fix these items for free with a firmware update.  I mean, has Pioneer actually tried to use this 940 unit?  Not difficult fixes.  But they will never come.  Especially for free.

This is true, in that I made a proclamation to abandon Pioneer, but really, there are no brands that do any better.  I am not sure why that is.  My Onkyo home receiver gets updates, my TV, my Samsung Blu-Ray player, the WiiU, PS3,  my DirecTV box... every other consumer device nowadays gets regular attention.  But not car audio...

Anyway, back on topic - has PIONEER officially posted a statement on iPhone5 support?  Seems like they could make an adapter box.  My AVIC-D1 needed an iPod adapter box that then plugged into that BUS system they still use, for CD changers and such.  I would be ok with an HW adapter to overcome this new Lightning cable.