AVIC411.com

Iphone 5 Cable?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

According to page 2 of the manual that is the cable you need.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Home/CD-IV202NAVI_OwnersManual020513.pdf

Has anyone tried this option yet? It seems like a ridiculous solution to get the iPhone 5 working with the x920BT / x930BT / x940BT.

I want to be able to use my iPhone (again) in AppRadio mode to provide GPS features to my head unit. The maps in the 2012 update are basically useless in my area.

it seems ridiculous that is the only option...

a part from pioneer and then two other parts that somebody else makes, it doesn't even seem like pioneer is even trying anymore.

you going to tell me that they cant figure all that magic out in that little box and just have a single part to buy with a single cable coming out of the box... 

They are going about it in the only way they can, they redesigned their external part (the pioneer cable) to work with the new Apple dongle. They probably didnt want to license the Apple Lightning connector (and thus make an ever costlier Pioneer part) so they went the route of using an existing Apple part to do that for them. This keeps the Pioneer part cost fairly low, and then the customer also has to buy the Apple part (which costs more) but at least from the customers perspective at least its not going back to Pioneer for a two year old device, its going to Apple, their favorite brand.

From what I am seeing, no one does lightning like Apple, I shudder at the thought of an early costly lightning part from Pioneer... glad they used Apples part this time around even if it is a bit clunky.

only an Apple fan would think that having a bunch of adapters is anything but a terrible ideal

who cares how much it cost, or who you have to license it from, thats what you do. if you have an iPhone, you can pay a little extra to have a fancy cable that does not look like a squid giving birth. 

Android users also have HDMI adapters, my Samsung and HTC do and the HTC one is as large as the Apple one. I havent looked to see if the latest giant Samsung Note 3 has a full size HDMI port built in, but I suspect even it uses a converter/dongle to provide full HDMI port support, much less a VGA port for some of the older Pioneer units.

spoke with tech support today about the lack of audio using the VGA navi cable and they acknowledged the issue and said they have been working on deploying a firmware update to fix it asap.

Map update is also very soon according to the second tier tech support person.  I get video and mirror support to my 940BT but no audio.  Using the CD-IV202NAVI recommended cable system.

Firmware update will be required for it to work is what they officially told me today.

• 3 weeks later...

spoke with tech support today about the lack of audio using the VGA navi cable and they acknowledged the issue and said they have been working on deploying a firmware update to fix it asap.

Map update is also very soon according to the second tier tech support person.  I get video and mirror support to my 940BT but no audio.  Using the CD-IV202NAVI recommended cable system.

Firmware update will be required for it to work is what they officially told me today.

did your update go all the way through.. mine got to step six and never gave me a sd version? did yours?

Select “System uCom Write†with the VOL
(+/–) button, and then press the MODE button.
The following screen appears.
―
For AVIC-X940BT, the Multi-control knob
is used instead of t
he VOL (+/–) button.
En
Confirm (1) the SD version is “8.05†a
nd (2) the uCom version is “8.04†or earlier.
En

it does not list a sd version..

• 3 months later...

So i've been kind of patiently waiting on this. In fact, when I bought my iphone5 last year I bought the 30 pin adapter and figured I was good. It wasn't until several months later during deer season that I wanted to watch a simpsons episode in my truck that I found the video didn't work. I've never updated the firmware in my 930bt and I'm afraid to do so because everything I normally still uses works. But to think I have a $1k headunit that's only 2 years old and no longer works as advertised is crappy. I realize apple did this, not pioneer. And I don't mind buying a new $50 cable form pioneer and a firmware update... but to not do anything? That sucks. I've always bought pioneer head units ever since I bought my first when I was just 16. This will be my last pioneer head unit as it's clear they could care less about their service.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi 

Just bought a car with the AVIC X950BH model and trying to connect an iphone 6 to it....the BT works great as does the BT audio. I updated the firmware to 1.06. In the glove box is a standard USB connector and a 3.5mm jack

I want to use the Lightning cable to be able to charge the phone as well as use the functions of the radio with the iphone. But when I connect via the standard apple Lightning connector, I get no audio.  I bought the Apple Lighning Digital AV adaptor and same issue, I see the data (song title, artist, length of song etc) on the display of the head unit but no audio

I just found/ read a Pioneer press release and it states...

"The kit includes a 2-meter automotive grade HDMI cable, which handles all audio and video transfer between the Pioneer products and iPhone 5, and a 1.5-meter 17-pin to USB cable for charging iPhone 5. "

Can someone confirm that the HDMI cable (which is not currently installed) carries the audio from the iphone to the head unit?

If I have a USB connector already connected to the radio (and it does charge the phone) , do I need to buy the Pioneer accessory CDIH202 kit?

Or do I just need to get a standard HDMI cable to connect the head unit to the Lightning Digital AV adaptor and then connect that to the iphone???

Thanks

Paul