AVIC411.com

iPhone 5 support?

edited. So far as of Jan 8, 2013, the Pioneer has announced the cable will release in spring. Info is below. In the mean time, the Apple Adapter for the iPhone 5 DOES work.

EDIT 3: Below is info from pioneer about the adapter Here is the link to Pioneer's site, or read below http://www.pioneerel...o Mode Products

PIONEER ANNOUNCES ENHANCED IPHONE 5 CONNECTIVITY FOR APPRADIO 2 AND APPRADIO MODE PRODUCTS

Three Connectivity Kits for iPhone 5 Provide Compatibility for Thirteen In-Dash Products Available in Spring

Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. today announced three solutions that provide enhanced connectivity between iPhone® 5 and thirteen 2013 and 2012 Pioneer in-dash receivers. When used with a compatible Pioneer in-dash receiver and an appropriate Apple Lightning adapter accessory, these connectivity kit solutions enable iPhone 5 users to access and control select iPhone 5 apps via the in-dash touchscreen display; play and control music and videos stored on iPhone 5; and play and control of the Pandora® internet radio and Aha Radio apps running on their iPhone 5 via the revolutionary AppRadio™ and AppRadio Mode interface (previously known as Advanced AppMode). This enhances the existing Bluetooth® connectivity between iPhone 5 and these Pioneer in-dash receivers that provides hands-free calling and, on select models, A2DP wireless audio streaming and control.

These connectivity kits are compatible with the revolutionary AppRadio 2 SPH-DA100; the new 2013 AVIC-Z150BH, AVIC-X950BH and AVIC-X850BT in-dash navigation receivers; the 2012 AVIC-Z140BT and AVIC-X940BT in-dash navigation receivers; the new-for-2013 AVH-X8500BHS, AVH-X7500BT, AVH-X5500BHS, AVH-X4500BT, AVH-X3500BH and AVH-X2500BT multimedia DVD receivers; and the 2012 AVH-P8400BH multimedia DVD receiver.

“As the leader in smartphone connectivity for the car and home, Pioneer fully understands the importance of providing an iPhone 5 compatibility solution that integrates with our revolutionary AppRadio and AppRadio Mode products,†said Ted Cardenas, vice president of marketing for the Car Electronics Division of Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. “With maximum efforts from product engineers, we have developed solutions that apply to a wide range of our in-dash products to meet our consumers’ wants and expectations.â€

Digital AV Solution

The CD-IH202 connectivity kit is an “all digital†connection designed for use with the AppRadio 2 SPH-DA100, AVH-X8500BHS, AVIC-Z150BH and AVIC-X950BH. The kit includes a 2-meter automotive grade HDMI cable, which handles all audio and video transfer between the Pioneer products and iPhone 5, and a 1.5-meter 17-pin to USB cable for charging iPhone 5. To complete compatibility between these Pioneer products and the iPhone 5, consumers must also obtain Apple’s Lightning to USB Cable and Lightning Digital AV Adapter, as well as a firmware update* from Pioneer (available this spring at no charge). The CD-IH202 will be available in March with a suggested price of $50.

VGA Solutions

Pioneer also offers the CD-IV202AV (for use with 2013 multimedia DVD receivers and the AVH-P8400BH) and CD-IV202NAVI (for use with the AVIC-X850BT and 2012 in-dash navigation receivers). The VGA solutions include a proprietary connector cable and interface module to accomplish all audio and video transfer and a 1.5-meter USB cable for charging iPhone 5. For a complete list of compatible audio video products, visit www.pioneerelectronics.com/car. To complete compatibility between these Pioneer products and iPhone 5, consumers must also obtain Apple’s Lightning to USB Cable and Lightning to VGA Adapter, as well as a firmware update from Pioneer for select 2012 and 2013 multimedia DVD and navigation receivers (available this spring at no charge). The CD-IV202AV and CD-IV202NAVI will be available in March with a suggested price of $100.

For a complete list of iPhone 5 and other smartphone compatible Pioneer aftermarket car electronics products, please click here.

Previously known as Advanced AppMode, Pioneer’s AppRadio Mode provides users the ability to access and control dozens of compatible smartphone apps through the units’ built-in touchscreen displays. AppRadio Mode is available on many 2012 and 2013 products (check compatibility onwww.pioneerelectronics.com/car).

EDIT 2: Looks like it works with the adapter!!

OK, the good news and bad news about the lightning adapter. For the above poster, it doesn't work, for me IT DOES WORK AND VERY WELL! OMG! I just did a few minutes of testing, and I actually went in and shut BT off as I was so surprised after reading the above post. It worked way better than my 3GS ever has. It was fast, had all my music even from iCloud, when I selected Pandora and Aha Radio from the iPhone it connected and fired up on the Z130. I have not done a thorough check of all Pandora and Aha functions, but they looked good in my two minute check. Songs skipped forward and back with my steering controls and radio controls.

So, it does have iPod out - it charges too.

P.S. I have done the map and BT upgrade to my Z130BT

P.S.S. Album art works too!

P.S.S.S. I did have to remove my case for the connector to work with the iPhone. The cable version of the adapter might be better for this, but not with my ProClip dock.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's my assumption as well. On the other hand, if you have a 4S you get just about everything from the software upgrade that the 5 will have. I'm on iOS 6 now and minus the bigger screen, I'm pretty sure I have every other "new" feature. If you are on a 4S, the upgrade isn't worth it.

That's what I'm afraid of. My buddy just switched from an android phone to that iphone 5 and he's got the z140. I already emailed pioneer about it, so when they get back to me with an answer, I'll post the response here for future users to see!

Thanks!

edit: they JUST replied: Looks like we've got to wait and see...

Regarding the iPhone 5 and iOS 6:

At this time, we are working to evaluate the compatibility with our car, home and DJ products. Unfortunately, we do not have any information to share at this time, but we will post information on our website as soon as possible.

Sincerely,

Luana

Customer Service Representative

If the following article is accurate we might be okay:

http://thenextweb.co...nector-adapter/

Well this one statement from that page concerns me. What does this do for the Pandora controls? Hmmm...

The things that they do not let you do:

• Utilize iPod Out, a relatively little used feature that allows transference of the iPod or iPhone’s music controls to an external screen or buttons, like the one in a car or on some home audio systems. BMW was an Apple partner for this feature.

If the following article is accurate we might be okay:

http://thenextweb.co...nector-adapter/

Here are the facts about the Lightning - 30 pin adapter.

The things that the dock connector adapters let you do:

• Analog audio output to stereos, docks and anything else that uses a 30-pin cable of any sort to send audio.
  • USB audio output. If you’ve got a car stereo that takes a digital input over a wired-in USB cable, you’re still fine with this adapter.
  • Syncing and charging, of course.

The things that they do not let you do:

• Utilize iPod Out, a relatively little used feature that allows transference of the iPod or iPhone’s music controls to an external screen or buttons, like the one in a car or on some home audio systems. BMW was an Apple partner for this feature.
  • Video out. There are separate adapters coming for that.

The things they do not let you do are the ones that would sway me into finally buy an iPhone, well and the fact it is finally LTE. Looks like I will be sticking with my Incredible a little while longer, or until Pioneer makes a Lightning adapter for my Z120.

I searched all over to try and find an answer to this...

this is what I found in macworld.

"As with the 30-pin connector, the Lightning connector supports video output; Apple told Macworld that Lightning-to-HDMI and Lightning-to-VGA cables will be available “in the coming months.â€"

found from: http://www.macworld....ns_for_you.html

also from : http://www.trustedre...cables-incoming

So the real question is, how soon will pioneer be able to research and engineer a cable that goes from the lightning port to our radios?

Also, I wonder, if I were to take the lightning cable that came with the iphone, plug it into the usb port that the iphone cable plugs into, then take a male-male headphone cable and plug it into the other female cable attached, would THAT work? Just wondering... I doubt it, but what if...

Also found here: http://avic411.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-50-iphone-5-what-we-know-so-far/

From what we currently understand, the iPhone 5, with the 30 pin adapter and the current cable from pioneer:

• Will support audio iPod output.
  • Will support audio out apps (like Pandora)
    • Might support controls (thumb up, thumb down, next, etc)

[*]Will NOT support video iPod, video app, or Enhanced App Radio functions.

I searched all over to try and find an answer to this...

this is what I found in macworld.

"As with the 30-pin connector, the Lightning connector supports video output; Apple told Macworld that Lightning-to-HDMI and Lightning-to-VGA cables will be available “in the coming months.â€"

found from: http://www.macworld....ns_for_you.html

also from : http://www.trustedre...cables-incoming

Well this is promising then. Damn good find.

I've got an iPhone 5 on order. No clue when AT&T will fulfill my order though. I have an iPod that I have dedicated to the Z140, but I will be happy to test when the phone eventually arrives. As long as I can make calls using the Z140, I will be happy. But I know some of you guys want more features tested out.

Since I happen to have an iPhone 5, I can confirm that WITHOUT the 30 pin adapter, Bluetooth is the only option. If you try using the included Lightning to USB cable, you'll get an iPod Authorization error.

Since the adapter doesn't ship until next month, it's unclear as to what features will be supported.