AVIC411.com

iPhone 5 support?

I can also confirm this.

Since I happen to have an iPhone 5, I can confirm that WITHOUT the 30 pin adapter, Bluetooth is the only option. If you try using the included Lightning to USB cable, you'll get an iPod Authorization error.

Since the adapter doesn't ship until next month, it's unclear as to what features will be supported.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's my assumption as well. On the other hand, if you have a 4S you get just about everything from the software upgrade that the 5 will have. I'm on iOS 6 now and minus the bigger screen, I'm pretty sure I have every other "new" feature. If you are on a 4S, the upgrade isn't worth it.

I have to disagree, the iphone 5 is the future of iphone/ipod touch dock interface. The old 30 pin dock connector is history. As far as you're opinion about iphone 5 not being worth an upgrade, it is the biggest change to iphone since its inception. the new dock connector is tiny and slick.

I have no idea what the future holds for the new dock and compatibility with the old 30 pin. I hope to be able to plug it into the Z120bt etc, but we will see.

I am currently having to use the bluetooth pairing to use audio. It's not bad, you see the song info on the head unit and you can pause/forward/go back using steering wheel controls. No album art but thats the only thing I seem to be missing. Well that and Video and the app radio features that were ported over.

The iphone 5 may be sacraficing a 1k radios' advanced abilities, now in that regards perhaps people should wait a few months until the rest of the industry catches up with Apple.

BTW I love the iphone 5, big screen is nice, camera is much better, I love being able to take pictures while doing video...It is noticeably faster, and in all honesty my iphone 4s, looks just outdated by comparison. I won't be going back that's for sure. And it is noticably lighter, I love the new textured back, you can hold it almost vertical in your hand and it just sticks. Unlike the iphone 4s which you had to put a zagg or something simliar on it to give it some traction so it wouldn't slip because of the glass back.

I have to disagree, the iphone 5 is the future of iphone/ipod touch dock interface. The old 30 pin dock connector is history. As far as you're opinion about iphone 5 not being worth an upgrade, it is the biggest change to iphone since its inception. the new dock connector is tiny and slick.

It's the future? Currently, it's nothing but a set back. The new all digital connector currently does less than the old 30 pin connector. How is that progress? Why would you upgrade to a phone to lose features? For us, this really sucks because now you can't get ipod or video out. As you said, it takes a lot of features away from our headunits and not only ours but any other vehicle that utilizes ipod out. For those that don't know, ipod out is the what allows you to control your music on your ipod/iphone from your headunit and have it display the audio data.

BTW I love the iphone 5, big screen is nice, camera is much better, I love being able to take pictures while doing video...It is noticeably faster, and in all honesty my iphone 4s, looks just outdated by comparison. I won't be going back that's for sure. And it is noticably lighter, I love the new textured back, you can hold it almost vertical in your hand and it just sticks. Unlike the iphone 4s which you had to put a zagg or something simliar on it to give it some traction so it wouldn't slip because of the glass back.

The bigger screen would be nice. LTE is the other only other upgrade that is worth mentioning but if you have Verizon i'd still wait since you still can't get voice and data at the same time. The camera has the same lense and sensor as the 4S. The pictures are no different. Taking pictures while video recording....I don't think this a feature that people would upgrade for.

From a 4S i still say wait for the "5S". From a technical point of view, it's simply just not worth it. Upgrade to iOS 6 and enjoy just about every "new" feature that they advertised while and keeping all the features of your headunit.

It's the future? Currently, it's nothing but a set back. The new all digital connector currently does less than the old 30 pin connector. How is that progress? Why would you upgrade to a phone to lose features? For us, this really sucks because now you can't get ipod or video out. As you said, it takes a lot of features away from our headunits and not only ours but any other vehicle that utilizes ipod out. For those that don't know, ipod out is the what allows you to control your music on your ipod/iphone from your headunit and have it display the audio data.

The bigger screen would be nice. LTE is the other only other upgrade that is worth mentioning but if you have Verizon i'd still wait since you still can't get voice and data at the same time. The camera has the same lense and sensor as the 4S. The pictures are no different. Taking pictures while video recording....I don't think this a feature that people would upgrade for.

From a 4S i still say wait for the "5S". From a technical point of view, it's simply just not worth it. Upgrade to iOS 6 and enjoy just about every "new" feature that they advertised while and keeping all the features of your headunit.

Many people think the upgrade just for the LTE is worth it. According to Venturebeat and Huffpost, the iphone camera is improved in several ways "'The camera snaps photos 40 percent faster, features a dynamic low-light mode (so pictures you take in dimly lit areas don’t suck) and enhanced spatial noise reduction, as well."

Read more at http://venturebeat.c...sGQ8BCSM2r6A.99

Then there are the video improvements, "As for the video side of things, the iPhone 5 camera records in 1080p with improved video stabilization, face detection software, and the ability to take photos while you’re shooting a video."

Read more at http://venturebeat.c...sGQ8BCSM2r6A.99

So faster picture taking, low light improvements, noise reduction for the camera, and the improved image stabilization for video. Doesn't seem like the same pictures to me.

Does IOS 6 include the new Panoramic feature or do you need to go with aftermarket for that?

And if you care, the front facing camera is much improved - a feature I don't care about.

In summary a faster processor and LTE are enough for me, the camera improvements are just gravy.

So to confirm this morning,

The iPhone 5 USB cable (Lightening) plugged into a Z130bt does NOT work natively.

Pandora/ipod functionality does not work. It doesnt recognize anything is connected. I figure once the lightening to 30-pin adapter arrives, it should work. We shall hope and see.

Or Pioneer comes with a firmware update.

I just got in the dockboss+ from cable jive as it works with other devices that use the 30 pin connector. Just a heads up to everyone it does not work the the z130bt. The phone charges, but neither pandora, aha radio, or ipod functionality works. Hopefully Pioneer releases a firmware update soon to address this issue. Sad when a car's factory radio supports the new phone and the z130BT doesn't....

Fuck. Guess i'm returning mine tomorrow.

I just got in the dockboss+ from cable jive as it works with other devices that use the 30 pin connector. Just a heads up to everyone it does not work the the z130bt. The phone charges, but neither pandora, aha radio, or ipod functionality works. Hopefully Pioneer releases a firmware update soon to address this issue. Sad when a car's factory radio supports the new phone and the z130BT doesn't....

Also, I wonder, if I were to take the lightning cable that came with the iphone, plug it into the usb port that the iphone cable plugs into, then take a male-male headphone cable and plug it into the other female cable attached, would THAT work? Just wondering... I doubt it, but what if...

Ive tried this with my iphone 4 and 4s as well as an ipod classic and it doesnt work. No reason to suspect that it would work with the iphone 5 even with the lightning cable adapter. I also just went and attempted to use the lightning cable with an aux cable into the pioneer ipod cable and no luck. Z120

Also found here: http://avic411.com/i...we-know-so-far/

From what we currently understand, the iPhone 5, with the 30 pin adapter and the current cable from pioneer:

• Will support audio iPod output.
  • Will support audio out apps (like Pandora)
    • Might support controls (thumb up, thumb down, next, etc)

[*]Will NOT support video iPod, video app, or Enhanced App Radio functions.

Apple has already said that the lightning bolt port will no longer support ipod output. So where ever you got this information it is more than likely incorrect. Unless apple has a way via software/firmware to enable ipod output via the new port than our ipod and pandora controls are no more.

One person has already stated that nothing but BT works with the units and the i5. Hardly concrete with just one person reporting but enough to not get your hopes up I think.

I can confirm this as well. Pandora does work via bluetooth onto my z120. It will let me skip songs as well. If you do not have pandora one the commercials will now play through the system. With the previous iphone models the commercials were muted because the video/audio came from a popup inside the pandora app and didnt utilize the ipod out feature of the phone.

Apple has already said that the lightning bolt port will no longer support ipod output. So where ever you got this information it is more than likely incorrect. Unless apple has a way via software/firmware to enable ipod output via the new port than our ipod and pandora controls are no more.

Yep....this is going to be a blow to numerous manufacturer's (not just for car head units). Here's a recent article by PCMAG explaining the lightning port:

http://www.pcmag.com...,2409737,00.asp

The ability to control the iPod function from the head unit with the i5 is still functional. It has been demonstrated with the DEH series and with some Kenwood units. What you no longer get is analog AV. If you have a unit that supports digital audio over USB (which includes no Pio navi units) you are good to go.

The ability to control the iPod function from the head unit with the i5 is still functional. It has been demonstrated with the DEH series and with some Kenwood units. What you no longer get is analog AV. If you have a unit that supports digital audio over USB (which includes no Pio navi units) you are good to go.

So it's the lightning port plus USB?

Also, what about things like album art etc.? Is that something that can still be sent to the head unit?

Thanks.

I can confirm this as well. Pandora does work via bluetooth onto my z120. It will let me skip songs as well. If you do not have pandora one the commercials will now play through the system. With the previous iphone models the commercials were muted because the video/audio came from a popup inside the pandora app and didnt utilize the ipod out feature of the phone.

If you clicked on the links you'd know exactly where I got the information from. They never said the lightning port doesn't support iPod out they said the lightning to 30 pin ADAPTER doesn't support iPod out. Pay attention next time you do your research.

Preroll The article you provided was from 10 days before the phone even came out. The lightning port supports iPod out just fine, unfortunately it's now digital instead of analog so from what I hear the appradios can't read it. Haven't heard anything about the Z series yet. I'm hoping its just a firmware update that we'll need if that is the case though.

Edit: if it turns out not to be the case I might be selling my z130 next summer to put towards a z150 lol.

On my z130 the Bluetooth works fine with pandora and iPod also. I can even use the steering controls still to change songs. Without a way to keep it charged though I tend to use the iPod more as I use my phone a lot for work purposes.