AVIC411.com

iPhone 5 support?

So has anyone heard from Pioneer whether they are looking into this or not?

I see a few announcements about ios6 support on iphone 4/4S on their product/support pages, but no mention of Iphone 5 issues/compatibility at all on any of their flagship gps/nav product pages.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd be very surprised if Pioneer makes a cable for this. Most likely they won't, not for the current generation of Avics out there anyways.

Haven't you guys seen the breakdown on the cable?

It uses apples authentication chip inside of it, meaning 3rd party cables, as of now, are non-existant. My guyss would be if Pioneer did find a way to get it to work, they would be breaking some sort of law..

Read the link for more info guys. This won't be an easy feat for any manufacturor unless Apple wants it to be, and we all know how slow Pioneer is to get on anything...

http://appleinsider...._reversible_use

With all the buzz around the Android phones, and droids near hitting the 2ghz mark and gaining market share...we may see Pioneer focus more on android support rather than iOS.

I'm disappointed I got the i5. Perhaps I should have jumped ship when I had the chance!

Apple appears to be the next RIM.

This thread should be locked until something is firm tho!

I received my lightning to 30 pin adapters from Apple this morning, and they are not worth the money. After I connected the iPhone 5 to the adapter and Pioneer cable, my Z140BH went crazy playing a second or two of each song then changing to the next song, then the next song, over and over. I put the radio in app mode and tried the CarMediaPlay app, and it was doing the same thing, but extremely slow trying to change screens and freezing up. I finally put the radio in direct control from the phone and it worked letting me select my songs from the phone, but still hesitated occasionally. As we heard, no video out, only audio. After the wasted money on the adapters, my recommendation is to use Bluetooth. It works with no issues. Like I said, the adapters are a waste of money.

15980234_large.jpg?v=1

15980233_large.jpg?v=1

I received my lightning to 30 pin adapters from Apple this morning, and they are not worth the money. After I connected the iPhone 5 to the adapter and Pioneer cable, my Z140BH went crazy playing a second or two of each song then changing to the next song, then the next song, over and over. I put the radio in app mode and tried the CarMediaPlay app, and it was doing the same thing, but extremely slow trying to change screens and freezing up. I finally put the radio in direct control from the phone and it worked letting me select my songs from the phone, but still hesitated occasionally. As we heard, no video out, only audio. After the wasted money on the adapters, my recommendation is to use Bluetooth. It works with no issues. Like I said, the adapters are a waste of money.

OK, the good news and bad news about the lightning adapter. For the above poster, it doesn't work, for me IT DOES WORK AND VERY WELL! OMG! I just did a few minutes of testing, and I actually went in and shut BT off as I was so surprised after reading the above post. It worked way better than my 3GS ever has. It was fast, had all my music even from iCloud, when I selected Pandora and Aha Radio (more testing shows Aha not working) from the iPhone it connected and fired up on the Z130. I have not done a thorough check of all Pandora and Aha functions, but they looked good in my two minute check. Songs skipped forward and back with my steering controls and radio controls.

So, it does have iPod out - it charges too.

Edit, does not include iCloud music on the cable, only with BT which I don't think works while on the cable.

P.S. I have done the map and BT upgrade to my Z130BT

P.S.S. Album art works too!

P.S.S.S. I did have to remove my case for the connector to work with the iPhone. The cable version of the adapter might be better for this, but not with my ProClip dock.

OK, the good news and bad news about the lightning adapter. For the above poster, it doesn't work, for me IT DOES WORK AND VERY WELL! OMG! I just did a few minutes of testing, and I actually went in and shut BT off as I was so surprised after reading the above post. It worked way better than my 3GS ever has. It was fast, had all my music even from iCloud, when I selected Pandora and Aha Radio from the iPhone it connected and fired up on the Z130. I have not done a thorough check of all Pandora and Aha functions, but they looked good in my two minute check. Songs skipped forward and back with my steering controls and radio controls.

So, it does have iPod out - it charges too.

P.S. I have done the map and BT upgrade to my Z130BT

P.S.S. Album art works too!

P.S.S.S. I did have to remove my case for the connector to work with the iPhone. The cable version of the adapter might be better for this, but not with my ProClip dock.

Adding this to the OP for newcomers.

Thanks!!! This is great news :)

A few updates as I have been testing it out.

Z130BT with map/software update to 140BT

I didn't mention App radio but did show a picture of the screen in my gallery. It does not work for me but I only have the AppRadio app and CarBrowser installed. Maybe I'm not using it right, so I will look into that more later.

Aha radio fails. I only tried it briefly with NPR and it played. But now it really just hangs and won't do anything. That is pretty normal even for the 3gs which I pretty much why I never use it.

When switching from Pandora back to ipod music, the player goes to the first song it has always decided to play when first connecting - an Ozzy Osbourne song No More Tears. It has always played that song with my 3GS and now 5 when first connecting. Steve must have liked that song :ph34r::evil::twisted:

I was able to force the lightning dock adapter between the cracks of my Otter Defender case and that works for now while ditching my ProClip mount. I ordered the cable version of the lightning adapter which should fit this case fine and will move the iPhone to a dash cubby hole. Two to Three weeks for delivery, nice job Apple.

Hope a fix comes for the Aha and resetting of what I was listening to on the iphone.

I will update again if I find anymore issues.

I modified my previous post above, I've also discovered iCloud was not available while on the cable, only while on BT.

It looks like version of software installed in the unit seems to have something to do with if it will or won't work with the actual lightning to 30 pin adapter. (plugging the cable that comes with the iphone 5 directly into the head unit will not work, period)

Also this link: http://www.pioneerel...e Compatibility

seems to just talk about out of the box cable that comes with the iphone 5, not the adapter. as mentioned at the top of the page

iPhone® 5 with iOS 6 using Lightning to USB cable included with phone

I will order the 30 pin to lightning adapter.

I have the z120bt with the 2012 update. I am hoping it works but we will see I guess. What a mess changing the adapter created. I guess our work around is putting video on SD cards. But as long as pandora control works and the phone works with PAC steering wheel controls that's all I am really looking for.

While bluetooth seems to work ok, you still have to manually bring up the apps on your phone and there is no art work on the unit, only the song/title information.

I don't know what might be causing your problem but my Z140BH doesn't exhibit any of the problems you've listed. Everything works the same way it did on my iPhone 4S with iOS5 before I upgraded to the iPhone 5 and 30-pin adapter.

Things I have tested so far include:

iPod functions--all work

Handsfree works great

BT Audio works great

Pandora--everything I tested works

I haven't tested aha because I never use it.

As I said, these tests are in comparison to the way things worked with my iPhone 4S and iOS5. I don't claim to be an expert on the Z140BH but everything I have tested works to my satisfaction.