AVIC411.com

Laser Jammers

The cops where I live are getting crazy since our idiot governor issued this new "heat" campaign on speeding--read tax collecting. I got a ticket a couple months ago for 58 in a 55. A friend of mine got a ticket for 56 in a 55!!!

They're getting everybody with lasers, so I was wondering what experience you guys have had with the Blinder and the K40 laser jammers. I know there's a thread here that talks about them a little, but I'm wanting some feedback from some people that have actually driven a while with them, been targeted by laser while over the limit, and have not gotten pulled over.

The minimum ticket where I live is about 180 bucks, so it's definitely worth a few hundred for me to get the jammer.

And before anyone tells me just not to speed, tell me that you never go 1 MPH over the speed limit.

I have one myself, not sure the least expensive unit out there that includes laser jammers. BUT for a ticket that you are going 1-4 mph above the speed limit would be a little difficult especially since many speedometers are not accurate 100% either. theres a % variance there too, and 1 mph is something very easily missed.

I have not been able to use the jammer part of my system since i stopped driving the vehicle such long trips. and now, the vehicle is disabled. I will probably not be replacing the jammer since I dont see it being helpful, its probably more about driving habits then it is about jamming or being notified that there is a police officer trying to catch your speed.

I think he was tring to say how well do the laser jammers actually work?

Will it completely block the signal from returning to the officer? or will it tell the officer that it's being blocked? Can you get in trouble for blocking their signal?

LASER jammers do just that, jam the laser. so the officer would see a funky readout, probably error even. Would have to reset and re laser the vehicle. By which time you can have adjusted your speed and turned off the jamming. at least that is how the manufacturer describes it. Also, I was thinking about this a bit more and dont really believe you got cited for 1 mph over the speed limit. Could you scan a copy of your ticket, cut out your personal info, and link the image here?

I don't care if the cop knows he's being jammed since there's nothing they can do about jamming lasers. I just want enough time to make sure I'm way below the limit.

I wasn't the one that got the 1 MPH ticket. It was a friend of mine. If you don't believe me, that's fine. I didn't ask him for proof when he told me, but ask anyone that lives in Lexington, Ky. I've heard the same things from tons of people. Usually the tickets are for about 3 over.

As far as defending the ticket, yeah you might be able to beat it, but they have a nice gotcha in Lexington. If you lose, it costs you even more. They charge even more court costs, and the time off work costs more than the ticket.

tillithz, I got a ticket 3 years ago in florida for going 67 in a 65 zone on I-95. it was a construction zone so it automatically was $125. Thank God it was a Sunday, cause if workers were present it wouldve been $250! My wife couldnt believe it either. 2 mph over and i got a ticket.

What happens with laser guns is (even the best ones) will simply not lock on when being jammed.. I'm no expert but I have read LOTS of material on the issue, as well as seen countless videos of jammers being used (mostly agains the Kustom Prolaser III which is one of the best, and most commonly used laser guns available to most Law enforcement.

The unit will not register a speed, and the laser detector accompanying the jammer will go absolutely apeshit.. depending on the mounting of the jammer, reflective surfaces, and believe it or not COLOR of your car, the cop will take some time to get a reading. The display will be pretty much blank for the cop until you get close. In some cases, like if you have a black, curvy car, and/or a really well set up jammer system, you will punch through (ie. not register a speed) right up until you are face to face with the cop lasering you.

The whole idea here is that you slow down to well below the posted speed limit when your laser detector goes off, and even if the cop manages to lock in a reading, you will have slowed down.

I'd say on average the, a good jammer will give you about 5 to 7 seconds maybe? which is plenty of time to slow down. A laser detector without a jammer is useless because by the time it alerts you, the cop has got your speed, and you're about to be pulled over.

I hope this info helps, and if theres anything more I can add, please lemme know.

as far as a ticket for 3mph over? that's the most rediculous thing i've ever heard. fight it in court and simply ask the cop (upon cross-examination) if he was able to visually estimate your speed prior to lasering you. He will probably say "yes, i visually observed the defendant's vehicle traveling at a high rate of speed or ~60mph" or something to the like and all you'll have to do is ask him if he can visually tell the difference between 55 and 56, then ask if he can tell diff between 56 and 57, then 57 and 58. If he says yes to any of the above, tell him he is supercop, because that is impossible. If he is honest, he will say no, and you do not need to ask any further questions to jeopardize your argument. When he leaves the stand, tell the judge that it would have been impossible for him to visually estimate your speed prior to obtaining it from the laser unit, and that you do not feel that this speeding charge was properly justified/laid.

As for speedometer error, it may be true, but i would not use it in court. The first thing the prosecuting attorney will ask is 1) has your speedometer been calibrated (of course, you'll say no, unless you're driving a land speed test vehicle, or a police interceptor), and if he has balls, he might go on to say that 2) you could have a speedo in your car that says you were doing 40, but its still your obligation to drive within the posted speed limit, and bottom line, that laser unit gets tested twice for every session in which its used.

I hope this info helps you, and best of luck!

If you have any questions, I can do my best to help solve them for you!

PS- in ontario, anything less than 15km/h over isn't considered speeding. Meaning, they can't really charge you. I've heard of cases, but its absolutely rediculous. Cops and judges here recognize that you're not posing a threat by driving up to 10km/h (8mph?) over the limit because it would be nearly impossible to limit your speed to EXACTLY the posted speed limit. There are moments (ie, going down a hill, or before you begin to decelerate) that ANY honest citizen will be going a little over the speed limit........ sorry to hear that they are so anile in your state.