AVIC411.com

Using Raster maps in iGo primo!

Map+Compare.jpg

Who wants their maps to look like the right side?! i know I did! Read on!

Been a long time since ive been on here.. and im glad I did. I found chucks mod and unlocked a WHOLE new level of awesomeness to my avic! iGo Primo is great! First of all you use satellite images to create the raster files that overlay on your regular maps! Its not very hard to do.. you just need a few tools which I attached to this post, and a license file that allow for raster images which I cant post here but the full file name is below and a simple google search should allow you to find it easily. http://wisnata.blogspot.com/2012/09/raster-maps-untuk-igo-primo_8613.html is the best tutorial that I have seen. You will probably need to use Google Translate or something similar.. i did haha. In the SAS Planet program "Satellite (Yahoo)" seems to be the best as Google's satellite no longer works in the program. You can probably use Google Earth software instead of SAS Planet but I havnt tried it so im not sure how to do it..

First I tried using 16x zoom on the maps and while it works, detail when zoomed in on the nav pretty much sucks. At 16x zoom my area which consisted of 6 tiles churned out a 77mb .raster file at HQ settings. But like I said zoomed in colors just blend and its not very good. So onto 18x zoom which is what Im currently using at HQ setting churned out a 124mb .raster file and my F series handles it just fine and I can actually see individual homes on my street. I am going to try 20x but its going to take probably all nite to get all the images down in SAS Planet. The size of the download for 20x is pretty large download it was going to take hours when I tried earlier.. so im just gonna set it to download before I goto bed tonite. Im also not expecting the avic to handle it very well due to what im expecting to be at least a 250-300+ file size and limited RAM.. but im gonna try none the less just to see. Im completely happy with 18x anyways. When using the NNG Raster program always use to "bicubic" filter setting as it has the best results hands down.

iPhone_Primo_ISR_1101__NNG__DEM__3D__PST__CAR__JV_ _Google__TMC___v2.1__.lyc <-- the name of the license file you will need to enable raster maps.

Let me know if you have any questions and ill try to answer them.

RasterTools.rar

Great job! I got raster maps working awhile ago and am fairly happy with them in my home area. Although google maps don't work in SAS Planet, they do in the latest versions of SAS planet nightly. I find they look alot better then the yahoo maps. I believe the grid squares need to be 0.125 degrees by 0.125 degrees (@ 0.125 degree intervals) or they would not display. Also, I had to download and render one at a time or the roads would not match up for the extire area. Did you find the same? I think I only have about 4 grid squares currently. I tried getting the entire city (5 or 6 x 3 or 4, can't remember) and Primo crashed when displaying too many at once. I used the SHQ setting which comressed the maps into smaller files and allowed them to display in greater detail when zoomed in. The instructions in the link you provided are very good, I wish I had found it earlier instead of slowly doing this via trial and error with bits of info off russian forums xD. I don't recall using the bicubic filter, I'll give it a try next time around. Oddly, even my Android tablet with 1 gb of ram crashes when displaying too many maps. I'm guessing it's an iGo memory management issue and not the device hardware itself. One more thing to note, there are newer versions of NNG Raster floating around. The first few I tried had limitied options (NNG quality only, no HQ or SHQ) so it can't hurt to search for a newer version. I beleive I am using the sys.txt setting: raster_2d_high_quality=1 setting rather then 0 and have not found any difference in performance with SHQ maps.

Anyways, thanks for sharing and congrats on your raster maps!

Hey good call on the nightly! Ill look into it.. I WISH I would have found that tutorial when I was trying to figure it out too.. I was doing the same as you.. google translating .ru websites and piecing info together. I was trying to figure out the license file on another forum and another member posted that website.. I was like WTF! why in the hell did I not find that haha! What do you mean by "I had to download and render one at a time or the roads would not match up for the extire area" because mine are off somewhat.. but if im reading correctly you are saying you just did one "tile" at a time. so you have say 6 .raster files? This might actually make the most sense, not sure why I didnt think about it.. so that it just loads up the direct area I am around instead the WHOLE area.. *DUH* wish I knew how to take a screenshot on the avic...

You said something about newer version of NNG Raster? im using 3.1.5.. so far the newest I have found and what is in the attachment in the OP. You find something I havnt? MY google-fu is pretty strong but I didnt even find that tutorial lol.

I checked which version of NNG Raster I had used and I believe it was 3.1.5, the same as the one you provided. It looks like it is the newest version available.

With seperate "tiles" I found the maps lined up perfectly rather then creating one huge map with roads mis-matching each other per grid. It was much more time consuming, however. I downloaded one 0.125 x 0.125 degree "tile" at a time rather then many at once. I also didn't split the image via the manage selection menu in SAS Planet (just 1x1) when saving. The guide in the link you provided splits the map horizontally 2 x 1 vertical. Finally in NNG Raster I only rendered one image rather then many (the guide does 2 i believe). I also deleted the tmp.jpg in the folder I was rendering. If there was an old tmp.jpg file in the folder from a previous render it seemed to increase the likelihood of getting an error while NNG Raster was preparing the map. One last thing I discovered, make sure to give each map a new "city" name (with each new map you render) in NNG Raster rather then just using the same city as previous maps and changing the settings. I found this to be the cause of many errors in finished maps (not lined up, muddled, ect).

I checked my unit and currently have 5 seperate maps. The file sizer per each is roughly 30 gb, I don't recall the zoom I used but you can even see my car parked in its stall clearly. Don't be afraid to play with the compression quality, it will help reduce the file size drastically with little to no loss in quality.

Great job! I got raster maps working awhile ago and am fairly happy with them in my home area. Although google maps don't work in SAS Planet, they do in the latest versions of SAS planet nightly.....

try to change "http://khm.google.co.../kh/v=83&hl=ru" to "https://khms.google....t/kh/v=115&amp"

( Settings , Options, Maps. Choose Satellite (Google maps). Then click on Settings).

It works for me.

* update information from http://wisnata.blogs...primo_8613.html

Thanks koper.. good to know how to fix it if it stops working again.. though Im now using one of the nightly builds like ryar suggested and google maps is working fine.. I have been busy the last few days so I haven't had a chance to play with this again until today.. I am going to do what ryar has suggested and do multiple smaller .raster files. I'm still trying to get all the 20x images down from google earth though.. wish it would download faster its taking hours just to get 2gb worth of images.. does anyone know how to take a screenshot on the AVIC? would be nice to post some screenshots when I get it all running the way I want.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 years later...