AVIC411.com

Upgrading a X920/X930 to X940 Instructions

I'm pretty sure they stopped supporting VR with Nav on the stock x930bt, however I retained my VR with Nav when I performed my upgrade to the 930 firmware. This time I didn't retain it, however my upgrade method wasn't exactly conventional.

ah, so you only updated as far as a 930? The Pioneer guy also told me that if I updated to the 940 software, I would lose voice recognition for EVERYTHING, not just NAV.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ah, so you only updated as far as a 930? The Pioneer guy also told me that if I updated to the 940 software, I would lose voice recognition for EVERYTHING, not just NAV.

No, that was a typo.. I upgraded to the nav940 firmware. And no, I still have voice response for playing music.. But again I never use it because the voice response never works more than 10% of the time.. It's a gimmick to me.. I can't rely on it so I don't use it.. it's more frustrating than anything.

-Keith

No, that was a typo.. I upgraded to the nav940 firmware. And no, I still have voice response for playing music.. But again I never use it because the voice response never works more than 10% of the time.. It's a gimmick to me.. I can't rely on it so I don't use it.. it's more frustrating than anything.

-Keith

sigh...why am I not surprised that Pioneer gives you a different answer with every phone call....is it possible you have SOME form of VR due to the source of your installation software?

i keep trying to update and it says my password is wrong. at 1c30 i also dont have that string, but i do at 13c0. heres a screen shot.

1c30.jpg

i tried changing 00 60 a0 e1 to 00 00 a0 e3, but that didnt help the password process. idk if thats what this part of the hack is supposed to help, but i tried. anyone have any idea's?

its a x920bt on 2.0000. it is indeed a older version. looking through the update folders i found the new version of it and transfered it to a sd card. not sure if i want to use that to update though. are the updates on pioneers website free?

::EDIT::

nevermind, i found the update on the pioneer website. i already had it downloaded and didnt realise it because the file is called z110. ill try applying that update first. thanks.

well...i updated to 2.003...and now the 1c30 line is

0F E0 A0 E1 1C F0 93 E5 B0 20 9F E5 00 00 A0 E3

still not right...

::EDIT::

ITS WORKING!!!

All i did was search for the string i needed to change (05 00 A0 E1) and i found it at 1120 or something. changed it to 00 00 a0 e3 and uploaded it to my deck. i put it in both prg1 and prg0. i slapped the z140 update in there, input random letters/numbers for the password and it started updating!

Thanks for the help.

I should note a few of the things I noticed right off the bat which are improvements from the X930 firmware:

1. FINALLY when looking up POIs it lists the city each one is in.. Previously if I looked up Starbucks, it would list 50 of them and tell me distance but I'd have to click on each one to see where it was which was a PITA.. Now the list contains the city so you can just narrow in on the one you want

2. Advanced app mode for iPhone

3. New Maps

I haven't had much time to play with the unit to see what other improvements there are.. But listing the city each POI is in was HUGE and that should have been a feature all along, it's ridiculous that it wasn't there before.

Can u show me the steps for the 1st part.

I tried to upgrde it but it will not show the new upgrade for it.

sigh...why am I not surprised that Pioneer gives you a different answer with every phone call....is it possible you have SOME form of VR due to the source of your installation software?

No, if you read the official documentation at http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Accessories/Map-Upgrades/NAVTEQ+2012+Map+Upgrade+for+AVIC-Z110BT,+AVIC-Z120BT,+and+AVIC-X920BT it states that you will lose VR on navigation, NOT audio playback.