AVIC411.com

challenge: restoring VR on X930BT (and friends)

no you have to change actually two bytes. 05 isnt the model code - it's the register that your mode code is stored in, which is determined dynamically in the code by checking things (serial number? partnumbers?) stored elsewhere on the unit. There is one AplLib.dll for each APL version that works on all the models.

you change that 05 00 a0 e1 to XX 00 a0 e3.

what you are doing is overriding the detection logic (telling it exactly which model it thinks is.)

You can use regular testmode filemanager to replace the file on your unit.

I just tried it out, by changing to 2D. Here are my observations:

• Search function still doesn't work, but now it shows an option to change state (which has a list of states in Australia) which I can select my state. There is no longer a grayed out 'postcode' option, which used to be in place of the now 'state' option. But still when I press either 'street' or 'city', it reverts to the nav map screen. I think this is because I don't have a complete NDATA and USER files from an AU unit.
  • Now, my TMC traffic tuner successfully connects to my local traffic station. Before, it wouldn't show any service providers. So this works now.
  • I still can't enter GPS coordinates manually. It says "Coordinates prohibited or not in this map zone" just like before. Must still be something that thinks it's in EU.
  • Turn-by-turn voice prompts no longer work. Before it was an English accented voice. This is probably because it's trying to play the Australian voice data file...which is not present.

So it's evident that changing to 2D has made the device think its an AU version to some degree. But because I don't have a complete copy of files from an AU unit, it still doesn't quite work. I wonder if by renaming the appropriate voice data files to the equivalent Australian version, whether that would allow me to still have voice prompts for navi. I notice in the NDATA/VBT folder, there is an 'EN' folder (english) and then inside this folder there is one folder called 'EN_GB' (great britain most likely). I wonder if my unit is now expecting to find something like 'EN_AU' by some chance.

• 3 weeks later...

ok, so for x930bt (device type = 2c), I verified that if I change my device type to 33, my VR button & prompt now works but still doesnt recognize any voice commands - I must be missing some files since x930 never had voice capabilities.

I have not tried it, but I'm thinking that the right devicetype for x930bt should be one of x920bt (0F hex instead of 33) in order to test VR capabilities of x930/x940.

If anyone wants to give it a go?

digeimomo,

you might want to try the devicetype hack to make it look like an F920BT euro:

http://avic411.com/i...bt-and-friends/

You will want DeviceType 0E hex for X27EUR (F920BT)

It should then have euro language choices (including VR).

(Note that it wont change dvd region or fm tuner step. However, looking at the insides of these things along with service manual schematics, it may be possible to change regions in hardware by rearranging several resistor configuration banks).

You are so right. It seems I don't even have access to select EU languages although in update there are 21 of them, but it seems I am missing smth becaues I don't get it. What should I change and where. I would also really like to reward you somehow for your precious time. :rolleyes:

for application version 4.010, at offset 1af94 in AplLib.dll, you can change 05 00 a0 e1 to XX 00 a0 e3 where XX is the DeviceType code you are trying to fake

Do you ever sleep? :-D I'll try that later and give feedback

After some adventures meaning going through "Thereis no applicable program" I brought it to life again but still don't have EU languages. Only US English, French and Spanish. I replaced modified apllib.dll (05 00 a0 e1 to 0E 00 a0 e3 @1af94) in all PRG folders but still same three languages. Any ideas? What am I doing wrong? Or what am I not doing? Or maybe smth must be changed before updating... Stuck

Finally everything works, except romanian voice but it seems that is missing some data that is perhaps on the "1 CD for additional voice data" that comes from NAVTEQ together with "1 micro SD 8GB and 1 micro SD 2GB"

I can select romanian voice only through PC app NAVGATE Feeds in "clone settings" but only beep comes out.

Does anyone have that extra CD with additional voice data?

Many thanks PIONARA!

• 4 weeks later...

Switched the X940 > something european. (test mode still thinks its an X940BT)

But heres a question regarding the change to AplLib.dll.

codes 2A ,35, 37, 39 do not show significant differences except for the Handbrake nag warning and I believe traffic sources.

However its the change from E1 > E3 affects the tuner, E1 seems to give better stepping, but the US freq FM range, yet E3 gives a much more UK freq range but US stepping.

Also with E1 set, you cannot search postcodes or addresses :|

Does anyone have any further info in these codes ?

• 4 weeks later...

pionara, Thank you for taking the time to post this (as well as your other hacks/mods)

Have you been able to get a hold of an NDATA dump from a VR active unit (such as the Z130BT or the Z140BT?) and successfully restore VR on the X930BT?

Im curious to know where this project of yours is at.

UPDATE:

Spent some time looking at the schematic diagrams for x930bt vs x920bt vs z130bt. There seems to be some dedicated circuitry for the MIC portion that feeds VR circuit, which according to diagram is missing (not populated) on x930bt. I have not looked inside an x930bt, but this pretty much makes it harder to re-enable VR. Of course it is possible, but requires both hardware and software mods.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi i have found this old post and it gives my hope to resolve my problem.

I want to change region on my Japan Avic-MRZ05 to UK so i can listen European Fm stations and maybe put european maps to the navi.

I cant find any info how to decrypt a file so i can change the values.

can you help me decrypting my file or change the region to UK in file or give me any idea what to do?

my backup of user files is on dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fum8og4aj19yucg/Backup.rar?dl=0

let me know what you decide to do. In any case tak You