AVIC411.com

POI question

OK, I'm one of the ones that bought the CNSD-300FM "upgrade" for my F90BT, and found out too late that it did away with most of the POIs I had before. However, I still have the SD cards from the CNSD-200FM upgrade. When I look at the SD cards from both upgrades, there is a directory under iGO ("contents\poi" if I remember correctly -- home internet not working thanks to the storm!). Under this POI directory are files, something along the lines of "Canada.000.poi", "US_Alabama.000.poi", etc. So I booted into testmode, got a copy of the entire flash contents, and found the same directory with the same filenames, but with the final ".poi" missing. Using Windows "fc" command, I compared 2 of the files from the CNSD-300FM upgrade SD with the corresponding files from the AVIC flash, and the files compared as equivalent. Consequently, I'm thinking about taking the POI directory from my CNSD-200FM upgrade, renaming all of the files in it (to remove the ".poi" at the end), renaming the "POI" directory in flash to something like "bad_POI", and then copying the modded CNSD-200FM poi directory to the flash. Hopefully, this will get me a decent number of POIs again, and hopefully if this doesn't work, I can simply delete that directory and re-name the "bad_POI" back to "POI" and get everything back to the way it is right now. I've never done any messing around of this type with the AVIC before, although I do this kind of thing all the time on regular computers. I know there are lots of talented and experienced people on this forum -- can any of you give me any advice as to whether or not my approach is OK, or if I should just leave things as they are?

Thanks!

Tony

I was going to give this a try, but ran into a roadblock. For a couple of the locations (Canada, Texas), CNSD-200FM has 2 files -- e.g., US_Texas.poi.000 and US_Texas.poi.001. So for those, I can't simply drop off the numbered part of the extension. I've been searching to see if I can figure out what to do with those, but no luck so far. I may just delete the second file (not likely I'll be driving to Texas, and even less likely that I'll be driving to Canada) and give it a try anyway, but I'll do some more searching first. If I find anything and/or try the old POI files with the new update, I'll post an update on the success/failure. Off to do some more searching!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to trying the POI files from cnsd-200fm. Renamed all of them to remove the .000 at the end of the filename, and deleted the ones (Canada and Texas) that had .001 as well (since I couldn't have 2 files with the same name). Booted into testmode, changed content/poi to old-poi, and then tried to copy the modded POI directory. No luck; not enough space left on system to copy the directory. So I deleted old-poi, and tried again to copy the modded POI. Still no luck; still not enough space to copy. Will have to either do some investigating to see what else I can delete, or maybe try just the files for the nearby states. Will post an update when I get around to trying one or the other.