AVIC411.com

8400 Screen freezing, update

My 8400 has been changed out three times by the seller, and now it is in the shop getting worked on through an approved Pioneer repair center.

The repair fella has seen the screen freeze himself, which is incredibly helpful when dealing with the people at Pioneer who deny there is a problem.

I spoke to him last week and he and Pioneer do not think the problem is firmware or the screen, but something inside of the device. He said the new part should be in this week and I hope to have it back soon.

There are too many people having the same issue with the screen for them to deny. I would suggest anyone with the screen problem to take it to their local repair center and get it worked on properly.

There was some prick posting on one site stating he was in Canada and had a firmware update, send your email and then he would send it to you. He was a scammer, so look out, your in box will be full of junk mail.

Anyway as soon as I get the unit back and check it out, I shall repost.

In my opinion, it is an amazing unit, with a few bugs that some people have and some do not. I would put it down to a bad batch of parts.

Thanks for the info, I saw your posts over on NASIOC too. So far you seem to be the only one on the internet that has taken the screen freezing issue to this level of troubleshooting. I was very close to buying the unit but thanks to good updates like this one, I know there's still an issue as of November and no updates from Pioneer. Sad because it seems to have the most amazing screen resolution out of any head unit with similar features.

I wanted to wait and see if it's fixed, but it sounds like a hardware issue judging from others reporting overheating/sun exposure seems to be related to the trouble. If that's true, the entire model line is pretty much junk as you never know how many bad units you're going to get in a row, and no software upgrade is going to fix it. Unless Pioneer specifically identifies the defective part(s) and issues free recalls to fix it, I think the 8400BH is dead from a consumer standpoint.

Thanks again for the updates Tiger!

Thank you for the feedback.

Today I spoke to the repair guy. He has located the part that is defective. A couple of weeks ago he placed an order for Pioneer to send out to him a new one. This is ironically funny. The part number they list is incorrect, so they had to go back to Japan to work out what it was. Today we talked, and the part should be in this week. He said it is a $30 part that messed up, and yes, they believe it will remedy all of the problems!

If not, I shall be demanding the 140 as a replacement.

So, if anyone else has any issues, contact your local repair center, and go from there. Once I know the exact part, I shall post this information.

Cheers!

PS.

I still think it is the best value for money unit out there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Tiger....glad to hear the repair is still working. Do you know the specifics of the part that was changed out? I have had my unit for 3 months and have all kinds of problems. Pioneer tech support refuses to acknowledge there is a problem. The touch screen is sometimes non-responsive to touches. The bluetooth mic doesn't work (callers can't hear me)....it was working but then stopped, replaced the mic and still doesn't work so it's apparently the unit. The unit will "mute" on it's own and can't un-mute via the button. Any information will help as I think if I say the "thingamajig" is what the problem is. Thanks!