AVIC411.com

is the x940 better than the z-140??

hey guys, i have had an Avic-Z2 for the last 5 years....

i admit, i had quite a few problems with it, but i just accepted it. i didn't like the super slow input for destinations, how it ghosted out certain letters when typing things, and the super slow ipod interface.

on top of all that, the GPS stopped working a while ago. i bought a brand new antenna, hooked it up, reset the unit, and it still didn't work...

the motorized face plate is now super, super slow. i have to use my finger just and push it to make it move.

that being said, it's time for a new unit.

i have read SO many terrible reviews of the z-140 that i don't know why i'm still considering it. but i love that line, and want to stay with it, but not if i'll just regret it

what are the main differences between the x940 and the z-140?? all i notice is that the Z-series has the full screen touchpad, while the X-series has some dials and a slightly smaller viewable screen...

are there any other differences?

and i keep reading about how the iphone does NOT connect properly with these units and blah blah blah... what are your thoughts?

Sorry I don't have much information on the Z series but this link should help (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/ch.GPS-Navigation.Support).

I have an X940BT that I like. Some people like to rag on the nav, but I like it well enough. In my experience, it's about on par with the Garmin we stick to our dash. Some things are a little better and some not as good. I don't have a smart phone so I can't comment on that. I can keep a lot of music on one microSD card and I like that a lot (though that's not a feature unique to the 940). If cost is a concern, then the 940 might be the way to go.

i appreciate the info...

you said if cost was a concern, get the 940. but i will spend the extra bucks to get the better one, as i'd rather be satisfied so that i can enjoy it for a few years. if cost wasn't an issue, would you have chosen differently that the 940?

and loud, i agree about the moving faceplate. it's nice to have the little bit extra screen size, but as you said, i'd rather have long-term reliability.

I believe one of the features of the Z series is voice controls... That's pretty sexy. I was tempted but I didn't think it was worth the extra money. I'm not sure the other differences are worth that much more for me. As it is I use the nav, radio, microSD for music, and bluetooth. As it is, I'm leaving a lot on the table as far as unused features are concerned.

I didn't exhaustively compare the features between the two series, but I didn't see that much difference - other than voice controls. If that's important, the Z is what you want.

the voice control is not all that great, the older F and X series used to have this feature, and it worked kinda OK sometimes. mostly if you want to show off to your friends, but as for day to day use, it just gets annoying and i would rather just use the buttons and get the job done faster.

• 3 weeks later...

It's nice to have hardware buttons and not rely on just touch controls IMO. I also second previous comments about being wary of the moving face plate.

You can also pick up the X930 for ~400 and do a software upgrade if you're techie, but it sounds like you're willing to pay for quality.