AVIC411.com

z140 vs. x940

from what i've gathered, it seems there are a lot less issues with the x940 then there are with the z140...

however, i'm not sure i trust all the reviewers whose comments i read. (i read a lot of comments on google, amazon, crutchfield, etc.)

but i'm more interested in what you guys have to say about these HUs...

if you guys had a choice, which would you choose???

i'm upgrading from an avic z-2, and am looking forward to all the new technology, but i want to make sure i make the right choice.

Sorry, I can't compare the x940 with the Z140 as I've never seen a z140, but looking on Amazon, it looks like an x940 with voice control and other extras built in. I have an x940 and I like it just fine. I don't have a smart phone so there are several features I'm not using. The biggest rap on the x940 is the nav (I expect the x940 and the Z140 have the same nav). There are some who really don't like it. I like mine pretty well. There are some things I prefer about Garmins but there are other things I like about the x940 so for me, it's pretty much a wash. Another thing I hear about the x940 is that the interface doesn't make sense (I'm assuming the x940 and z140 have similar interfaces), but the only think I don't like is that bluetooth is not accessible from the music/radio screen. I've heard others say the motorized retractable screen is something waiting to break.

If voice control is important to you, the x940 won't help you. If you use satellite radio, it might be better to have that built in (though you can add it to an x940).

Just my $0.02 and worth every penny you paid for it! :mrgreen:

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Pioneers website has detailed specs on both but they are basically the same interface and as was said one has smaller screen with vol knob, the other doesn't, HD with traffic tuner is included with the Z140. I have a Z130 upgraded to a Z140, the bigger screen is nicer and the HD radio with traffic tuner is useful but honestly there are times I miss the vol. knob even though I have steering wheel controls. The tilt adjustable screen hasn't been an issue since I don't use it very much.

Overall the interface could be better thought out. I find myself working the screen too much and can be distracting while driving. The presets should be able to be shown on screen as bottons on the bottom at same time the map is displayed. My Saab 9-5 Navi has this (and buttons can be AM/FM/XM on same menu page, with titles or frequencies as button lable) - makes life a bit easier. I'm not sure I'd have gotten mine if I had it to do over again but I don't know what I would have bought over it either, Kenwood maybe since I bought it mainly for the GPS and while the NavTech map update is an improvement it still does some weird routing when I get in rural areas. But I'm stuck with it now, it was a big investment and likely will keep it as long as the car or until the HU dies so I make the best of it.

• 8 months later...

xplosion79 says: "For some reason my z series doesn't display any text for my presets."

I have found this on the x930 and x940 I have in two of my cars and they also do not display the text for the presets.

I was never sure why on my x930, but when I got my x940 for my second car I found out why.

The x940 showed the text until I received my HD Tuner. Once the HD tuner was installed, the text no longer showed.

It has something to do with the HD tuner.

Very Annoying!

Presets along the bottom of the screen with Station numbers shown not (P CH 1).

I had the Alpine W-INA910, and got rid of it for the x940. And before that I had a Kenwood.

Still prefer the Pioneer, but I know they could do so much better!