AVIC411.com

Pioneer advertising iPhone 5 App mode compatibility in 2013 advertisements.

I promised a while ago that I'd never post here again, but this irked me enough to suck it up, and I wanted to help the AppRadio community.

I saw this advertisement in the latest issue of In Car Entertainment magazine (Jan 2013) and it was the very first advertisement on page 1.

Now forgive me if I am wrong, but that's an iPhone 5 in the advert, when iPhone 5's blatantly don't work. Also, their early released 2013 models lack iPhone 5 compatibility as well.

I posted on their Facebook and may tweet it later to them. Maybe you guys can follow up also?

http://imgur.com/uxzuN

pioneer.jpg

I just brought an avh-8400bt and have an iPhone 5 so will have to wait to see what the issues are , but I heard that the lighting connector solves some issues to do with plugging in your iPhone and playing music via the lead.

None of the "Advanced Apps" will function. Without the Advanced Apps, the Appradio 2 is nothing more than an AM/FM radio when used with an iPhone 5. Your 8400 will not work beyond making phone calls, or playing Pandora with no display or control from the HU itself. :(

This is blatant false advertising on Pioneer's part. After all the complaining on their Facebook page by tons of unhappy users, they should have known better than to plaster an iPhone 5 and showing Advanced App compatibility.

Hi,

I had the same thoughts... what I found out from the local Pioneer (Israel) is the following:

1. The 8400 will get some kind of an adapter to work with iPhone 5 (iPhone 5 outputs HDMI video while ipone 4/4s outputs composite video), and it won't be just a cable, it will be some kind of converter to change the iPhone5 HDMI output to composite video, probably will cost at least a 100 USD.

2. They will release around April 2013 (they said it will be in by June for sure) a new unit called 8500 which will have HDMI input and hence would be connectable to the iPhone5, would still require the Apple lightning to HDMI adapter. The only official anouncement I could find for this is on Pioneer Taiwan's website (in Chinese) 2013 models page: http://www.pioneer-twn.com.tw/p1-product_detail.asp?Pid=120070.

Saul.

@Shaul64 - On your first point, the cable you mention seems highly unlikely that an adapter will convert the HDMI to composite. Why would they do that? The APR2 already has an HDMI input on the back, it seems more likely they would create a single Lighting connector at the phone end and the other end would break out into an HDMI and whatever that block connector is called that the iPhone plugs into now. So, all they really need to do is seperate the digital output of the phone and connect it to the HDMI on the back of the head unit. Either way, I hope they do something.

On point two, the Chinese webpage shows the head units connected to an iPhone 4/4S, where do you see a reference to the iPhone 5?