AVIC411.com

Pioneer announces iPhone 5 connectivity kits for AppRadio 2 and friends

Pioneer announces iPhone 5 connectivity kits for AppRadio 2 and friends

By Sean Cooper

Jan 8, 2013 9:00AM

As part of its CES 2013 announcements, Pioneer will launch iPhone 5 connectivity kits for 13 of its in-dash products some time this spring. This is bound to be a bit of entertainment relief for the many of you who've upgraded to iPhone 5 and found your Pioneer set's AppMode was unable to follow your chosen path. There will be three different connectivity kits available for purchase: the CD-IH202 (HDMI), CD-IV202AV (VGA) and CD-IV202NAVI (VGA) for the various devices types -- coupled with mandatory firmware updates for any head unit using digital connectivity. The HDMI solution will set you back $50 at the register and includes a 2-meter HDMI cable, a 1.5-meter 17-pin to USB charging cable for the iPhone 5, and the unfortunate need to purchase both the $19 Lightning to USB and $49 Lightning digital AV adapters. Compatible VGA sets will require a $100 kit which includes a proprietary interface cable and control module for all your audio and video needs, a 1.5-meter USB charging cable and the same two Apple Lightning cables as above. No mention of pack-in cable options going forward, though we'd assume a transition to iPhone 5 connectivity is where we'll eventually end up. We dig that Pioneer was able to get this to market, though, we're starting to think that a used iPhone 4 might ultimately be cheaper than the kit and extra cables required.

Before I make the decision to either Stick with my Appradio2 or trash it, I definitely want to see an iPhone 5 hooked up with the new cable and the TWO ADAPTERS (wtf?). It sounds awful clumsy to me. But kudos to Pioneer for even making the adapter cable. I was convinced that they'd leave us out and move on to new head units.

In the meantime I'll most likely stick with my 4S and and wait for more head units to come out with proper iPhone 5 integration. ...Or better yet I might just go with a new GPS head unit with A2DP bluetooth for my music.

From what I'm reading on pioneers site the kit consists of an HDMI cable and a USB cable

Those are two things that are readily available now rather cheap

So in theory if you already have the iPhone 5 which comes with a lighting to USB cord all you need to purchase is the adapter from apple to do HDMI output .

My only question is ....

Will the unit need a firmware update to work correctly?