AVIC411.com

Bluetooth update failed for AVH-P8400BH

I tried the update from the Pioneer site

http://www.pioneerel...Car-BTUpdate (1)&utm_content=car

I followed the instructions word by word until I got up the where it transfered the file successfully from my Windows 7 notebook to the AVH-P8400BH and it said completed just like the end of page 5. But it didn't give me the chance to check the firmware. Everything is greyed out and I can't even start this from the top. What's worst is that nothing connects to it now. I can't even use my phone to make calls.

I will call on Monday to see what they said but in the meantime did anyone else have an issue with installing this upgrade?

Same thing happened to me. I tried to update a couple of days ago. Did everything per the instructions. Except, I got a message that the file transfer was interrupted and a disconnect error. Everything locked up and grayed out. I "unpaired" the two devices. Now I lost all BT capabilities. The BT button on the system screen is grayed out. I press the BT audio function and I get an "ERROR-10". Everything else works fine, I just can connect my phone or stream music.

I called Pioneer and they told me that the BT chip is damaged. They told me that they were going to contact me to find out how they were going to fix it. Didn't sound like it was going to be a warranty. They said they sent my case over to the warranty department for review.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Just got a response from Pioneer:

Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics. I am sorry to hear of the

problems you've experienced with your car AV stereo.

I will create a work order to have your unit come in to Pioneer for a free

evaluation. If update failure is confirmed you will be charged a special

$95 flat rate that covers restoring BT functionality and return shipping.

I will be contacting them back to have them waive the $95. I tried to update the product using their procedure and it fails. No they want me to pay to repair? Time to raise hell

I've been calling since 6:00 pm and got busy signals each time I called. Finally got a ringtone at 7:10 pm (EST) and a person didn't pick up until 7:40 pm, anyway, they said that in order to do the update, I needed to have the parking break engaged. Once I do that that I should be able to see the options, the only thing I failed to mentioned to him which I wouldn't is that I have the parking over ride hack with the system. Not sure if that had anything to do with the failed update but tomorrow I'm going to remove it and see if that makes any difference.

I agree with Clutch, I don't feel I have to pay the $95 to repair an update.

Also I checked in the owner's manual and on page 96 of the pdf document it states that Error-10 means "The power failed for the bluetooth module of this unit"

Wow, i had the EXACT same thing happened to me.  Followed the instructions exactly as said.  While the file was transferring, my computer said the connection was dropped.  The headunit still said it was updating, then a little later it said completed (or something to that extent).  Then i ran into the bluetooth just not working.  It initially says "Ready" then after a couple of minutes goes to "error 10."  I REALLY hope theres a simple fix without having to send the unit back. 

Today i have the same problem. I have pioneer 8400 bt and i tryed to update firmware with official release from ther home page and the proces was interupped while file was trasfering.

On the radio say: Completed. Bu not i get Error-10 for my BT :(

What whould we do? Can we do some "Reset" of whole radio?

This is a response I got from Pioneer regarding the BT upgrade failure:

Mr. Clutch,

The instructions for the firmware process are very specific and must be
follow precisely. If any part of the update instructions are not followed,
it will cause failure. Hence, it is not covered, since it is not a
manufacturing defect.

Please send your unit to us at the address listed below:

PIONEER ELECTRONICS
ATTN: ARA 16312704
1925 E DOMINGUEZ ST
LONG BEACH, CA 90810

Once received, we will evaluate the unit. If the $95.00 fee applies, we
will contact you.

Thanks again

• 1 month later...

wish I had found this thread prior to doing the update today.

I am having the exact same problem. I did the update all the way through for my avh-8400bh and now the Bluetooth is just showing error 10 after a few minutes. No Bluetooth devices can see it..and I can't pair my phone or anything either.

Anyone had any luck resolving this issue?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Got mine back recently.. I am only 100 miles from pioneer so I had a much quicker turn around. 100 bucks later its fixed.. New module and all updated. Yay for song/artists displayed over Bluetooth.. But boo on the horrible update instructions and lack of support to prevent completely destroying the module.