AVIC411.com

X940BT cold weather issues?

Hey guys,

I recently got the X940BT and it's been working fine for a while. It has gotten cold over the last couple days and my headunit is failing to boot up. It hangs at the splash screen and will sometimes reboot. The AM FM and CD audio works fine when the screen is stuck. The only thing I can think of that is different is the weather, it is around -10* to -15*C at the moment. I've taken the HU out of the dash many times to investigate connections. I usually power it on and off when I reach my distination and I think it works without any issue when it warms up.

I am using a PAC TATO adapter for this in my 4Runner if that makes any difference. It appears the red, yellow and black are directly connected through to the vehicle harness and the TATO gets power branched off these, so I don't think the TATO is the issue.

I can't find anything in google relating to these and cold weather. Any help is appreciated, thanks

It looks like I am just outside the operating range, from the manual;

Tolerable temperature range
Power on.....+14*F to +140*F

I've had a couple other double DIN LCD headunits in here with no issues, I wish it could handle a bit lower. Oh well. Anyone else having this issue now? I was suprised that I didn't find many other threads of this kind this time of year.
  • 3 weeks later...

I have had mine fail to boot up, and then halfway to work I get a message saying "Normal Temperature restored" and it begins to play normally. I have also had an ipod classic freeze up to where it does not appear to be connected to the head unit. I had to put it in my inside pocket for awhile before it would even boot itself up.

However, I live in Saskatchewan, where the temp gets significantly lower than many of you south of the border. It was -28 the last time I noticed this symptom.

I can verify that this morning at -19, it worked as soon as I got in the truck. Having it happen at -5 seems like something may be wrong. Something worth trying; make sure there is no disk loaded in the drive, it may be less fussy if there is no drive to spin up in the cold. I have no idea if it will have any effect, it's just an idea for an experiment.