AVIC411.com

So do apps like waze and pandora all still work thru the touchscreen.?

Currently using an iPhone 5 w/digital av adapter on AppRadio 2 (SPH-DA100):

I haven't used waze but pandora works with the AppRadio touchscreen like its supposed to. I had the AppRadio 1 and upgraded to the 2 and its a world of difference. I really like the ability to be able to mirror my iPhone to the AppRadio so I can basically use any app I want on the bigger screen.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, I'm an happy owner of an EU version of the Appradio2 and an iPhone 5. I just upgraded my unit to firmware v8.30. all went fine. hooked my iphone5 to the lightning adapter.

Bluetooth connection is fine, iphone5 digital av is fine too. System language is no more in Italian, only English or Spanish. Ok no worry English is good for me. BUT...

when entering in the apps page, app is launched fine but on the screen i get: Viewing of front seat video source is prohibited etc etc. Oh oh my parking brake wire is still connected to ground but now the unit seems to not accept it anymore. Do I need the pac tr7 bybass? is it working for anyone on 8.30 ?? or can i get a EU firmware for the unit??

many thanks,

--

matteo

Well I went and purchased app radio 2 last night to replace my old app radio 1. I installed it and did all the updates for the iPhone 5 and used all the proper apple cables. Except for a regular hdmi (which works fine). I think. The pioneer cable that you have to buy might include an hdmi and a new usb to pioneer deck connector minus the old 30 pin connector.So if anyone is thinking of making the jump, I'd say do it. So far driving around this morning I find app radio 2 much faster then the previous one. The waze GPS traffic app works but doesn't fit on the screen. I assume an update soon will fix that. I will post more later.

Currently using an iPhone 5 w/digital av adapter on AppRadio 2 (SPH-DA100):I haven't used waze but pandora works with the AppRadio touchscreen like its supposed to. I had the AppRadio 1 and upgraded to the 2 and its a world of difference. I really like the ability to be able to mirror my iPhone to the AppRadio so I can basically use any app I want on the bigger screen.

I am looking at purchasing an APPRADIO 2, since BestBuy and Crutchfield have them on sale right now.  I did hava couple of quick questions on the new firmware and the iPhone 5.

I have both a 5 and a 4s (one is personal, the other is a work phone).  Am I able to add a USB splitter to the back of the deck and run both sets of cables so I can use either or, or will I only be able to use one or the other with the current firmware?

Also, both of my devices are jailbroken.  Does appradio extentions still work?

Lastly, does the TR7 relay still work as well?

TIA!!!  :)

I managed to get my AppRadio 2 updated this weekend. For those who have an iMac, I learned the update process does not work with a MAC in the middle. I had to boot into my Bootcamp Windows 7, format as FAT32 and copy the yak file, do first update, then delete yak file and copy the hat file. I guess the Mac Disk Utility FAT format is insufficient. Must be formatted via Windows.

Lastly, I have the new Pioneer cable on its way. But in the meantime I am using a standard HDMI cable to Lightning HDMI AV adapter and my Lighting to USB cable plugs into a USB cigarette power adapter for chamfering. I still have the original 30pin cable connected. I may try changing the setting back from IPhone AV to OTHER and see if I can use the iPod still with the 30pin to Lightning Adapter.

My initial thoughts are this:

1) great to have appmode back, however many apps old and new still are not ready for this iPhone configuration. Lots of bugs to work out. Waze and other Nav apps look way off or just mirror only. I was looking forward to trying out iHeartAuto, but sadly there is an issue with iOS 6.1 its still working through compatibility issues. So its still inoperable.

2) Luckliy the Pioneer apps work great, such as Maps, MixTraxx, Car Media Player, and the embedded Pandora App.

3) no more use of the embedded iPod app, which sort of sucks because it was like instant music on when I would plug in and start the vehicle. Now I have to let the AppRadio control app to pair before I can do music off my iPhone. There is still Pandora. I tend to go in phases between my music and Internet music. MixTaxx is a nice balance of pulling from cloud Internet music and your own music now. So that is a bonus.

4) it takes about a full minute for the AppRadio app to fully pair and become available for use. Which can be frustrating given there isn't am instant play option anymore.

Lastly, as someone who has not been in advanced appmode in months, there are a lot of nice changes and surprises! The favorites on bottom of the AppRadio control app, app history, post current location, and a great compromise between the big fat buttons and smaller buttons.

There is still much to look forward to, but I am still very happy to be on the right track!

I don't understand why Pioneer is charging $60 for an HDMI cable that they call the IH-202. I bought a cheap HDMI cable off ebay for $2 and it works fine. The HDMI port on the back of the stereo doesn't have much room for HDMI cables that may have a larger plastic end.

Let's see if I get it correct before upgrading my old F900 to an DA100 App Radio. Skipping the Pioneer cable kit, most functions will work with any hdmi+apple AV + iPhone 5 and the latest fw. However, buying the Pioneer kit, and using the 17-pin to USB included, will "disable" the mirroring mode in iOS, but on the other hand get you full control (like ipod and such)?

I would like to have the free choise of myself controlling when mirroring and when "normal control mode", because I bought the Navigon gps software and would really like to use it on a bigger screen. The Pioneer compatible Apps available in the App Mode dont really seem that interesting to me. Where is spotify?? ;) On my F900, when I start Spotify on the phone, it will pop up on the F900, inside the iPod-interface, enableing me to control at least skipping songs and FF/REW, will it work the same on the App Radio?

Can the "Apple Maps" (non-google) be used natively or is mirroring needed? Or is it Google maps as default map?

No. The Pioneer cable is just a USB only version of the cable that already comes with your car and an HDMI cable. That's all that you get for the 60 bucks. Regardless of what you do you will not get back your built in iPod application. That app is gone when you get the 5. 

All you need is any HDMI cable and a power source. I used a basic el cheapo loco HDMI cable I had lying around and plugged my lightning cable into the USB port my old 30 pin wire that came with the radio already had. I get full appradio mode functionality, although not all apps are made to work with iOS 6 yet, I get the ability to mirror any app onto the screen, and I have lost my Native iPod app, although the CarMediaPlayer app works fine. Pandora still works and as an added plus it is far easier for my friends with 5s to play music in my car than before. 

Oh and the built in controls still work fine, so when you double press the home button you can fastforward, rewind, pause and play with the controls that are on the screen. 

I saw a few people on here who updated to 8.30 and said their iPhone4/4S no longer works. I just purchased the appradio 2 last night and don't have the iPhone 5 cable yet. I did the update to 8.30 and had the same issue with my iPhone 4.

What you need to do is disconnect the cable and the bluetooth, go into settings on the appradio and you will see a connection setting. If I remember correctly it's default setting is Digital AV or something like that. Click on it and change it to Other then connect your iphone 4/4S back with the cable and bluetooth and it should work. If you don't disconnect the phone from both the cable and bluetooth it won't let you change that setting.

Again I just purchased the unit and haven't installed it in my car yet so I don't know how well the 8.30 works with the 4/4S but I do know changing that setting works.

Well I went and purchased app radio 2 last night to replace my old app radio 1. I installed it and did all the updates for the iPhone 5 and used all the proper apple cables. Except for a regular hdmi (which works fine). I think. The pioneer cable that you have to buy might include an hdmi and a new usb to pioneer deck connector minus the old 30 pin connector. So if anyone is thinking of making the jump, I'd say do it. So far driving around this morning I find app radio 2 much faster then the previous one. The waze GPS traffic app works but doesn't fit on the screen. I assume an update soon will fix that. I will post more later.

I just installed the Waze app via app radio recommended apps and after it installed, the screen was all squeezed. Then i turned off the ignition and unplugged and plugged back the lightning adapter and it works perfect.

I am looking at purchasing an APPRADIO 2, since BestBuy and Crutchfield have them on sale right now.  I did hava couple of quick questions on the new firmware and the iPhone 5.

I have both a 5 and a 4s (one is personal, the other is a work phone).  Am I able to add a USB splitter to the back of the deck and run both sets of cables so I can use either or, or will I only be able to use one or the other with the current firmware?

Also, both of my devices are jailbroken.  Does appradio extentions still work?

Lastly, does the TR7 relay still work as well?

TIA!!!   :)

The appradio will only talk to one iphone at a time. 

I am personally in love with the new setup. Being able to mirror my screen means I can use any landscape app I want. Sure I can't control them on the screen (fingers crossed AppRadio extensions finds a way) but thanks to Siri I don't usually need to for navigation. I also use siri to launch my different applications. The added benefit that more and more apps are becoming iPhone 5 compatible by the day has me stoked for the future of this platform.

As an added plus as well it seems none of the native apps have that issue that they shrink in size at random anymore. 

If you have a 5, upgrade to the latest firmware. It's awesome. Make sure to get some form of a parking break bypass. I use a simple switch. 

Google maps in my car=badass.