AVIC411.com

Backup Cam only works if manually switched

Hey guys,

New to the forum but have following along for some time now. Anyways I recently bought an AVH-X2500BT and today I installed a $15 amazon backup camera and was able to get it to work when in reverse in my F150. HOWEVER it seems to only work IF in reverse AND I manually switch it on by pressing the icon on my home screen.

I can't seem to figure out why the camera works fine if manually switched when in reverse but wont just switch automatically. Any Ideas??? It would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Its not being triggered, there is a purple wire in the harness that senses reverse, make sure this is properly connected either to the backup lights, or if you had to buy a can bus adapter like I did it will have a lead for reverse sensing. After making sure its wired go in settings and reverse camera polarity should be set to battery if you spliced into something hot like a light, or ground if you spliced into something that grounds on reverse. I just wrestled with mine yesterday, and now understand it pretty well, if you need more help tell me more account your harness setup and we'll go from there.

OK so I got it working by changing the reverse trigger from the HU to the reverse wire in the harness under the kick panel. Everything works correctly now, cam comes on when gear changes and turns off when switched out of reverse BUT I still have a problem!

A few seconds after the unit turns on (10-15?) the camera switches on by its self but there is no image because I'm not in reverse. I then have to hit the home button to get out of the black caution screen.

The head unit is set to battery. The positive and ground from the camera are connected directly to the tail light positive and ground wires at the bulb. The reverse trigger at the HU goes to the reverse wire in the kick panel. WHAT AM I MISSING!!???

Thanks for the help though!

• 4 years later...

I too am having a similar problem. My camera works when I put the car in reverse and select the reverse camera option on the HU, but it won't turn on automatically when engaging reverse. It also won't show the guide lines. I have the AVH-4200NEX. The rear camera is powered by the reverse lights and the ground wire is grounded. The RCA cable is routed to the brown BC plug in the HU. There is also a red wire coming from the RCA cable to be plugged into the reverse cable (violet/white) of the HU if needed, which isn't plugged into the car. Out of desperation I connected the red wire to the violet/white wire but still nothing. Any help would be appreciated in getting it to automatically turn on. Thanks.