AVIC411.com

New Appradio 2 owner....a few questions

Hello to all, new Appradio 2 owner here that finally took the plunge due to the BestBuy sale last week. I. Also recently upgraded to the iPhone 5 and ordered the adapter from Pioneer for it. I'm running IOS 6.1 and do have the newest AppEx beta installed, 8.30 installed on the radio also (bypassed parking brake too!). Here are a few things I've experienced so far and wanted to see if anyone else with similar specs have experienced.

1) CarMediaPlayer - I have a ton of albums/songs on my phone (almost 3400 songs) and when accessing the albums or artist there is a noticeable lag while scrolling through them.... Has anyone else noticed a similar situation? Just slightly irritating when you are used to the iPod app on the phone.

2) Pandora - While it is working for some reason when I reconnect the phone to the radio it is instantly opening it and playing without me even having to choose anything. Could this maybe be due to the app still running in the background on the phone when I connect it?

3) Radio reception - I have a 2010 Dodge Challenger and while my stock radio picked up stations fine the Appradio is horrible. They tried 2 different adapters, one non-powered and the current powered and doesn't seem to make a difference. Even with the radio set to seek even low strength signals it will just scan and scan and eventually come back with some bunk stations that are nothing more then static. Anyone else have issues with the radio like this??

Any replies will be much appreciated and looking forward to future AppEx updates that will truly make this radio worth having!

Chris

Welcome to AppRadio! First the sluggishness is due in part to the way the 5 connects to the Radio. It uses bluetooth for control and bluetooth has a slight lag to it. They have done a tremendous job, but that lag is just part of the game. 

The Pandora app you see is actually a built in application just like the radio app. Unlike all the other applications that you run from your phone that completely control the radio, turning it into a glorified touch screen with an amplifier, the Pandora application simply sources the raw data from the iPhone, and then displays said data on screen. The advantage of this is that the app can remain open even when the phone is off because it is not using the display out functionality of the phone which will not work when the phone is in sleep mode. 

As far as your antenna, yeah I've heard a lot of people complain about the quality of the antenna in the appradios. I haven't had that problem. The radio works great for me, but you are not alone. Do a search of the forum, you may be able to find a solution to the problem.

Enjoy your radio!

I have an 08 Dodge Charger I installed my AppRadio2 in maybe 3-4 weeks or so ago now. Parking brake bypassed and all the bells and whistles.

I connect with a jailbroken iPhone 4 running 5.1.1 and I get the same sluggishness with CarMediaPlayer. It has nothing to do with the size of your library - apparently the issue seems to be inherent with the app. I had the original AppRadio1 and it scrolled woefully slow on that unit as well. The thing that irritates me about the app is that when launched, it always starts to play the same song - regardless of whether or not that was the last song played when the phone was disconnected. Other than that, I like the app much better than the iPod feature.

As far as radio reception, mine has been fine with both radios. All I can recommend is that you double and triple check your connections. When I first connected the unit, I would get a lot of static but after disconnecting and reconnecting the antenna and making sure it was in firmly, I haven't had an issue since (this was with both radios). Stations come in nice and clear now.