AVIC411.com

DA100 - Questions, please help

Hello All,

I am in the UK and new to the DA100, I was looking for a head unit to properly integrate my Iphone as a source and handle Phone Calls and ended up buying the DA100.

For reference I am running:

Iphone 4S on IOS 6.1.2

SPH DA-100 - Unsure of firmware (can anyone tell me where to find this ?) but purchased new, late December 2012. If i access the camera button from the home screen - the warning has [] square brackets (this seems to be some sort of indicator from what i can tell.

I am using both RCA pre-outs feeding one four channel amplifier.

App Radio on the Iphone 4 S is version 2.0.1

I have a couple of issues:

1) I purchased the Pioneer NavGate Drive app, for GPS. This was part of my purchasing decision really, i need an alternative to the TomTom as my wife seems to have claimed that in her car ;-). I downloaded NavGate a couple of days ago and confirmed that this worked as expected on the Iphone itself (launches, can create routes etc). I then went ahead and purchased the UK postcode add on, and the UK Speed Camera database add on - bringing total spend to about £100. When i connected the Iphone to the DA100 and selected advanced app mode, i can see the apps i have including NavGate, tapping NavGate on the DA100 launches the app on the Iphone 4S and this gets as far as the splash screen (the red loading line at the bottom of the splash screen gets around a third of the way along) then this freezes - the DA100 screen goes black and thats as far as it gets. I have subsequently downloaded "Nav4Free" and this works as expected with no problems. Can anyone suggest a fix for Pioneers NavGate app ?, if I am unable to run this im going to have to try and get a refund via Apple and just use Nav4Free.

2) The DA100 has two Pre-Outs. The rear is marked "rear/sub" and according to the literature should allow me to select the channel as either a full range signal - or as a sub only channel. Looking in the settings menu on the DA100 there is a setting marked "Pre Out Rear: Full", there is also a "Subwoofer" setting. With Subwoofer turned ON i get sub bass only from the rear speakers and full range from the fronts. If I turn the Subwoofer OFF i get nothing from the rears at all (if i use the fader, and move it to the back I get silence). The PreOut selection in the settings menu appears greyed out - so all i can change is Subwoofer ON/OFF. Can anyone tell me how to switch the output of the rear PreOut from Subwoofer to Full Range please ?.

3) I do not need the internal amplifier within the DA100 to run as i am using external amplification - is there a way to turn the internal amplifier OFF - other head units I have owned have allowed this to improve signal and reduce heat build up.

4) Pioneer Support - I am finding it difficult to know where to go for Pioneer support for this head unit, there is very little information in the FAQ section on Pioneers website and the instruction manual doesnt cover a lot of the situations i am experiencing, hence ending up here. I have sent a request to Pioneer (turnaround is marked as three days) but havent heard back yet. Is there an area of the Pioneer Support site which im missing ? (please provide a URL if one exists).

Thanks in advance for any replies - much appreciated !.

R.

Welcome the community.

1. I would not have bought NavGate. Waze is the app I love. It does all that and it's completely free. Where I live their maps are spot on. Don't know about the UK. As far as your app not working, not all apps are compatible with iOS 6 yet. The fixes are coming but it's taking a little time. Check the pioneer website for your app and see if it is on the iOS 6 compatibility list. IMO see if you can get that refunded. 

2. Yes the other preout can be used as a rear speaker. I'm not in front of my head unit but I believe what you do is go to the sound setting you turn off the high pass filter and the rears should get full sound. or is the low pass? Don't remember, didn't sleep much last night. 

http://docs.pioneer.eu/Manuals/SPH_DA100_120423_CXX4772B_manual/ page 38 answers your question. You may have to have music playing to get the setting to activate if I remember correctly. 

3. No clue about that one. All I know is my radio has not acted up heat wise and the sound has been phenomenal in my opinion, so it may not be necessary for your appradio.

4. You come here. Also they respond to me usually on their facebook page, and you can call Pioneer's support numbers to get in contact with them as well. Here are the two customer support numbers for the UK. 

0870 600 1539

0330 123 1240

Excellent - thanks Danny, much appreciated. Ill try the fix for the pre-out tonight. I think i agree with you on the navigation software - ill try and get a refund on the basis of compatibility and just use one of the other apps (Waze or Nav4Free).

Best Regards,

R.

Hi, sorry to hi-jack your thread, but I'm also in the UK and have just bought the DA100, loving it.

Can I ask how you earthed your parking brake wire? I'm really not very good with electrical stuff, can I just strip back this black cable and clip the parking brake cable to it?

photoabf.jpg

Basically if i can get the navigation working and sort the pre-out, the unit is doing everything I want it to and then some. I am *nearly* happy !. Incidentally I tried the pre-out solution above and its still not switching to a full signal - anyone else have any ideas ? - could it be a problem with my RCA cable ? (my fall back will be to use an RCA splitter at the amp and just divide the front channel - i can adjust the level via the input level on the amp, it will just be annoying not to be able to use the fader).

Hi MrDerek, no problem. I just cheated, the parking brake cable just looked like one more headache to me - so i bought a micro bypass off ebay for £12. this meant I could just wire everything in the one place behind the head unit without needing to mess about with the parking brake. This worked like a charm.

R.

Oh, I heard that our euro versions of the unit don't need a bypass and just needs to be earthed. Do you think you could send me a link to the eBay listing?

OK, i would check whether this is the case - Im really not an authority on the head unit, so I may well be wrong. The relay i bought was this one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150863589165?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 - bear in mind its from the US so it takes a while to arrive, similar items are listed on Amazon.co.uk and would be next day (i didnt find these at the time).

HTH,

R.

Just to follow up on this thread - here is where I am now:

1) Apple have agreed to refund the purchase cost of NavGate and associated in app-purchases (claim made yesterday, no reply recieved to the initial Pioneer Support call). I am now using "Nav4Free" with some upgrades - this works a treat.

2) With regards to the sub woofer pre-out problem, this is now resolved - looking at the manual link in Dannys post above the solution is in there, but the manual is somewhat ambiguous about it, for reference if anyone else has this problem you have to do the following: a) Disconnect Ipod/Iphone, swipe to the second home screen which contains links for settings c) hit the "no sound" / "Source OFF" icon - the little speaker with the red line through it d) once the source is turned off several previously locked areas of the settings page for "Sound" become available, at this point you can e) tap the blue "subwoofer" value next to "pre out" and change this to full range. f) the subwoofer setting will now disappear from halfway down the settings menu, and you can get on with the business of tuning the now full range rear speakers.

Im happy now :) thats everything i wanted as a base deliverable from this head unit, now working. I have to get on and build my sub box now (housing one Alpine Type R ten inch) and that will be my build more or less complete.

Thanks very much for the help guys, appreciated.

R.