AVIC411.com

AVH-8400BT Firmware update - Worth it or not?!

Hi,

I have the AVH-8400BT in my Focus ST. Today I finally installed the App Radio cable and have that all working pretty nicely - having had to downgrade from iPhone 5 back to iPhone 4s to make use of my spanking head unit!!!

Anyhoo, I've been adding apps n stuff to take full advantage, and I thought since I've had this headunit since September 12 maybe I should check for Firmware updates....

I see there is one available, however (luckily) I managed to spot posts on the net where people have updated their firmware and it has bricked their bluetooth modules on the headunit...

Quick question really: Is it worth me updating the firmware on my AVH-8400BT?

What are the benefits (if any) of this firmware upgrade? Off the top of my head, I cannot remember having had any issues with my system as of yet using the factory software. My USB sticks all run content ok, my Parrot Bluetooth does the job, and now I have App Radio up and running, I haven't really noticed any serious issues with that (only a few mninor annoyances!)

So, is there a real benefit to the new firmware, or is it best to just leave it well alone?

Scott.

Hah! Iphone 5 compatibility! 

Originally when I checked with Pioneer in September, there was no plan for this!

SO I just sold my iPhone 5 and downgraded to a 4s so I can use Appradio! Then I find out that 5 IS now compatible after all!!!! Dammit!

Ok, thanks for the info :-)

• 2 weeks later...

The firmware update is just for Bluetooth if you have an iPhone 5 or any device running iOS6 from what the Pioneer site says.

Enables Bluetooth AVRCP control and metadata display from a compatible Pioneer CD or DVD receiver when used with an iPhone 5 or iOS 6 device. Firmware update is not necessary if you do not own an iPhone 5 or iOS 6 device.

And on a side note, you are crazy to get rid of the iPhone 5 so you can use your phone with your head unit. I use my phone way more than my head unit so I'd rather have the nicer phone. I guess that's just me though, lol...