AVIC411.com

x950bh AppRadio not working

I just recieved, and professionally installed my x950bh into my FR-S. I have the CD-IH202 all digital kit and the Apple lightning to HMDI adapter. Everything is plugged up, and the phone charges and goes "blue" at the top indicating an HDMI conneciton. I launch the AppRadio app and nothing happens. My "APPS" globe on the main screen never lights up, and I never get a request on my iPhone for a connection to AppRadio. I tested the Apple Lightning to HDMI on my HDTV and video works, the pass thru for lightning also works on my PC, but when I connect it ot the x950bh it never activates Appradio OR the iPod controls. If I skip the HDMI adapter from Apple and plug in the lightning direct to the x950bh it will pull up iPod on the screen but all audio comes from the iPhone (since the HDMI is not plugged in). I read in the instructions that a "firmware update" was coming to make it work, but I thought they x950bh already came iPhone 5 ready out of the box with version 1.0 software. Is it the other units that are recieivng updates or should I be waiting on one as well? I also have iOS 6.1.2 which is .0.2 above the release requirements, but surely that update (that targeted Exchange issues) didnt break the phone? Ideas?

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The printed instructions said that there was a firmware update on the way?  Was it a paper insert or card that came with the owners manual?  I am getting an iPhone 5 and this unit as well but I am worried about going through the same.  When checking Pioneer's site for Firmware & Updates it doesn't list anything.  It just asks me to register so I guess they would email a link of available updates?

It is in the instruction manual, though the manual covers several models, so maybe it was referring to them instead of the x950. Either way, like you I realized there isnt a firmware update to change the situation. I have tried a different HDMI, lightning cable, and this afternoon will try a different Apple HDMI converter (though the one I have sends HDMI just fine to my TV's). If none of this works, its got to be something in the software of the receiver, or a hardware problem on the receiver. I wish I had not sold my iPhone 4 or I would have tested it with a 30 pin cable to see if it works that way.

Hey TechUnplugged, check this out for me if you would. Verify that your lightning to HDMI works the same as mine:

When plugged into the phone, and HDMI only (say to a HDTV) video output works fine. You can see your iPhone screen on your HDTV

When plugged into the phone, and another lightning cable it plugged in (but not the HDMI) it will pass CHARGE from your computer, but wont SYNC to iTunes.

That is how mine works. Is this HOW its suppose to work? No data over lightning via the pass through? If so, then how is the AVIC getting its data, from the bluetooth setup the same way the older APPRADIOs do?

I am wondering if my lightning to HDMI adapter is bad since it only passes power via lightning and no data. If yours is the same though, it may just be an AVIC firmware issue.

Also does your AVIC x950 connect using Pandora on the screen? Mine doesnt, it remains greyed out.

I also went through Pioneers support, and no one seems to know whats going on. I am now seeing it promptly on the x950bh's pioneer page http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/GPS-Navigation/AVIC-X950BH that it is "iPhone® 5 Compatible with CD-IH202 Cable Kit and Firmware Update"

Well, I have the cable kit, I am guessing there is a yet unreleased firmware to give it full iPhone 5 support.

For those wanting to know where it is in the manual, page 127. "to utilize compatible applications via appradio mode with iphone 5 ipod touch (5th generation) you must first update the Pioneer navigation systems firmware."

Embarrassingly enough I just found the final nail in this posts coffin...

"Phone 5 compatibility requires a free firmware update from Pioneer
(available Spring 2013) and the purchase of the CD-IH202 interface cable
kit (sold separately), Apple® Lightning Digital AV adapter (sold
separately), and Apple Lightning to USB cable (sold separately)."

Looks like it is coming Spring 2013... I will just have to wait, at least its not my AVIC, cables or apple to hdmi adapter.

Isn't it amazing that Pioneer support is unaware of what's even posted on their website?  Do these people have any kind of training or research at all?  You would think they would have lists of issues like that attached to each product for when people call.  Inexcusable!  Another case in point:  If you do a comparison between the Z150 and the X950BH, it notes that only the Z150 has Text-To-Speech but in actuality they both have that feature so here again the website isn't even 100% accurate.

Anyway, please let us know if this update works for you when it's released.  I'm buying a new car within four weeks and then the X950BH probably two weeks after that so hopefully within six weeks time this will all be ironed out.

Thanks.

PS: Next dilemma - the bypass procedure.

Please let us know if you intend to try the Nag Screen hack that has been used on many older models and if you do whether it works or if there will have to be changes to which hex code gets changed etc. This is one thing holding me up from upgrading to the

Also, if anyone out there tries the 950 with appmode and an Android phone via Hdmi, let us know how it works.

Thanks.

I wish I could get the "nag screen" to go away for the Map, and the motion detector disabled for the buttons greying out.

I have the parking brake wire grounded, and it registers that in the information menu, I also grounded the pin next to the mute as another post here stated would work for the x850, but it doesnt seem to have anyeffect. I think the "3D" sensors inside the unit are a part of the motion security. As soon as I start moving most of the buttons grey out, once I come to a stop it lights back up. That to me is a bigger problem than the one nag screen that happens on the first start of the map
screen. More than likely we will need some code adjusted inside the unit. I havent tried to boot from TestMode yet.