AVIC411.com

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to update, my z150 allows video when I'm in Park.  As soon as I switch to Drive, the video goes off with the warning.  I have a Metra Onstar/Bose interface in my truck which has a wire for "parking brake lead".  The only thing I can figure out is the Metra interface can tell whether the vehicle is parked and sends the appropriate signal to the radio.

What I don't understand is what type of signal the Metra interface is sending the z150?  Is it a simple ground?  Is it a pulse?  How would the Metra interface know what aftermarket radio is connected and which signal to send?  It's just strange that I never have to push the parking brake at all to get video to show.  Only have to the put the vehicle in Park.

I may disassemble that one lead tonight and test with a meter to see what signal is being sent when the vehicle goes from Drive to Park, unlocking the z150.

All of these signals (ignition, park status, drive direction, speed, nighttime illumination, button presses, etc) can all be monitored through the CAN-BUS.  Can-Bus devices like Metra (maybe not the Axxess, but others)  can pick up these signals and transmit them to the radio either through hard wires (as in my z130bt) or subsequent CAN-BUS wiring.  My stock radio had a direct CAN-BUS connection to the harness.  

The hard wire signals are described somewhere.  I thought for ignitionit was a 12v (on) or 0v (off), illumination was 12v(night) or 0v(day), for parking brake it was either grounded (park) or not grounded (not in park).  Speed is some sort of pulse.

Since the CAN-BUS interfaces uses a mini-jack to talk to the radio, I figured that signalling was different than CAN-BUS protocol.  Has Pioneer changed that with the z150?

I can report this so far. I contacted a Metra tech and he said that their interface outputs a ground signal to the parking brake lead when the vehicle is in Park AND when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.

The z150 is simply looking for a ground on the parking brake input. I verified by grounding the parking brake wire from the Pioneer and putting the vehicle in Park, Reverse, Drive, didn't matter...the video stayed unlocked. I was thinking I had something.

However, once I actually started moving the truck, the video locked again. As soon as I slow to 5mph or so, it unlocks. This tells me that the Z150 is either looking at the speed sensor wire or looking at its own GPS signals to see if the vehicle is in motion. Will it even be possible to bypass such a system?

On the Z130 there is an additional wire -- from the RCA harness -- that must be grounded as well.  Since there is no wire in that location in the harness as it comes from the factory, it may be a hidden feature provided on the radio to prevent the random consumer from bypassing their parking brake safety feature (until they go to the forums, of course).  I'm guessing that the radio is deducing from the GPS that the car is moving, and this extra wire must override that piece of information. 

Anyone figure out the z150 e brake bypass? The harness is the same as the z140 but its flipped around so the mute wire is on the opposite side, half tempted to try 140 method but the boss wont let me take the chance!!

Can you post a picture of the AVIC-Z150BH's RCA harness?  How many pins are vacant?

This may narrow it down:  Unplug the RCA harness.  Use a digital voltmeter to check the DC voltage on each of those vacant pins (on the socket on the rear of the AVIC, with respect to ground).  Be careful not to short two pins with your meter probe.

If one is a secret bypass pin like previous models, you should see a positive voltage like +5V.  You might see that on more than one of the vacant pins, however.

The Z150 and X950 have gone back to a 32-pin connector for the RCA harness (like the Z110, Z120, and X920).  The 30 and 40 models had dropped down to a 24-pin connector.

SVX, I believe mine had 3 vacant pins on the RCA harness. I have a meter and could possibly check. I may do that when I have to take apart the dash again. The Metra interface I have for my truck is on the fritz and I'm waiting on a replacement.

If more than one of the pins has +5V, how would we know which is the secret bypass? Or is this info something that would have to get leaked from a Pioneer employee?

I think it may be solved.  See this thread: AVIC-X850BT bypass.  Thanks to totalauto !

(it's sometimes annoying that this site has separate subforums for the X and Z models -- you have to remember to search both for hacks that work on both lines, and it results in multiple threads covering the same issues).

If you call the mute wire pin 1, and the nearest red wire from an RCA jack pin 3, the vacant pin 2 is the bypass slot.  With that numbering scheme, pins 17-19 on the bottom row are also vacant.

As I mention in that X850 thread, the 30 and 40 models only need the bypass pin grounded, not the AVIC's parking brake lead.  Since you're using Metra's OnStar/Bose interface for your truck, It won't hurt for you to leave the parking brake wire connected as it is.  But for anyone else installing an AVIC, you don't need to bother with the HU's parking brake wire (just insulate it).  I suspect the 50 models will work the same way.

I think I remembered a few articles talking about the empty pin beside of the mute wire on the RCA harness for several models. So I looked for that when I installed.

If I remember correctly, my z150 RCA harness had no empty pins on the same row as the mute wire. The 3 empty pins were on the opposite row. One directly below the mute wire and then the two pins next to that one. The rest were filled.

I wonder which one it would be in that case?

If I remember correctly, my z150 RCA harness had no empty pins on the same row as the mute wire. The 3 empty pins were on the opposite row. One directly below the mute wire and then the two pins next to that one.

Can you take another look and compare it to the picture that totalauto posted?  I suspect yours looks identical.

The same install manual covers Z150, X950, X850, and X8510.  All of the rear connectors and harnesses are the same, except the X850 and X8510 do not have the HDMI port for Android devices, and the Z150 does not have a detachable faceplate.

If somehow yours is different, could you take a picture while you're at it?  :)