AVIC411.com

Just read through this thread, and I can't seem to make sense from anyone's responses on which is the accepted/correct full proof method to bypass these godawfull "safety" features.  I'm going to give it another week to get this sorted out and I'm going to return it because I didn't spend good money on a system for someone to decide what functions I can use and when.

Anyway, created a POLL to put together everyone's successful* methods to benefit all.  PLEASE submit your responses:

How have you successfully, and fully, bypassed your AVIC-Z150BH unit (i.e. enter phone number while driving, enter GPS address while driving, play movie, etc...)?  CLICK LINK TO SUBMIT RESPONSE.

*Successful defined as zero restrictions, zero nuisance messages, etc...

I personally have installed and performed the MMW mod ONLY.  This after 1 week has resulted in no errors, but limited functionality.  I am not able to dial a call using the screen nor am I able to enter an address into the GPS.  This is absolutely unacceptable, to me.  I regret after only 1 week of not just keeping my stock radio, and purchasing a good Garmin portable NAV unit.  (Don't even get me started on the appradio iOS7 incompatibility!...)

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best option is the two wire bypass. That is, ground the re-located wire and the P brake wire. Try that and see what happens. This is the bypass method that has worked on all Pio navies for years and there is no reason to think it is any different with this unit.

On another note, Getting upset at Pio for the motion lockout is arriving at the wrong conclusion. All after market and most OEM units have a motion lockout. Perform the proper bypass and you should be good to go. Also, the bypass will only bypass the motion lockout. It will not eliminate the caution screens or the requirement to hit the OK button to use the features.

The best option is the two wire bypass. That is, ground the re-located wire and the P brake wire. Try that and see what happens. This is the bypass method that has worked on all Pio navies for years and there is no reason to think it is any different with this unit.

On another note, Getting upset at Pio for the motion lockout is arriving at the wrong conclusion. All after market and most OEM units have a motion lockout. Perform the proper bypass and you should be good to go. Also, the bypass will only bypass the motion lockout. It will not eliminate the caution screens or the requirement to hit the OK button to use the features.

Thank you for the response.  I will ground the parking brake wire this evening as well.  Since posting, I have also noticed that the locked out features are not always consistent.  At times, I'll be moving and have full features.

As far as being upset with Pioneer, I think that stems from the confusion about the proper bypass.  Seems like other bypassed units in the past have been cut and dry, with consistent and expected results.  Not the case here, as it works fine one day and not so the next.  Just seems like they should make a simple, one connection bypass to fully unlock the units if the end user desires (with the obvious "off-road only" disclaimer").  I'm also ok with the nuisance messages, as I already hardly notice them.

I'm going to have my buddy ground the parking brake wire tonight, and try and verify connections.  I'll stop back and post if it changes things.

A loose wire is certainly a possibility, and would explain the inconsistent behavior.  I was almost wondering if it was more along the lines of the GPS showing motion while other wires are grounded, and the mute wire is moved.  With conflicting logic as this, I was thinking maybe at times certain things are satisfied and allow it to be unlocked, while other times it is not.

I'm going to have my buddy ground the parking brake wire tonight, and try and verify connections.  I'll stop back and post if it changes things.

A loose wire is certainly a possibility, and would explain the inconsistent behavior.  I was almost wondering if it was more along the lines of the GPS showing motion while other wires are grounded, and the mute wire is moved.  With conflicting logic as this, I was thinking maybe at times certain things are satisfied and allow it to be unlocked, while other times it is not.

The vast majority of those who bypassed the Z150 are not reporting these problems, so your problem isn't some sinister Pioneer plot to prevent bypassing. AFA loose wire, the most likely thing is that the moved pin isn't completely seated in the connector housing. Or it was damaged when it was removed, and is not making a good connection.

So, tied the green parking brake lead to ground last night.  Bypassed at this point by MMW, and grounding parking brake lead.  When I first drove it after doing this, it gave me the parking brake lead is not connected properly error screen.  I ok'd past it, and all seems to work just fine.  I have not seen the error screen since.  Full phone, full GPS, etc...  Thanks for the input everyone.

Next on the list of topics to tackle:

1.  Determine if I need to update the firmware

2.  Determine if my 4S with iOS 7.0.3 will work with appradio functionality (Reviews on the appstore say DO NOT DOWNLOAD?)

3.  Determine why sometimes song information is displayed through bluetooth, and other times it is not

4.  Change home screen image, etc

Z150BH. Today, I installed the brake bypass wire with pin that I bought on eBay. Bought it only because I didn't want to fight getting the mute wire removed and re-inserted in the other hole in the RCA plug. Seems like a lot of people were having a difficult time getting the mute wire out to move it over. This wire comes with the pin already crimped on and all I had to do was push it into the hole. Compared to what I spent on the stereo and accessories what's another 9 or 10 dollars? Worked perfect! Now I can change any settings and watch DVD while the car is moving. So the brake wire and the wire from eBay inserted in the hole next to the mute wire on the RCA plug are the two that needs to be grounded. That's all there was to it for me.