AVIC411.com

PLX Kiwi or GoPoint BT1 worth it?

So I'd like to tech up my car this summer and I was thinking about buying the PLX kiwi with the dash command app. Now its kinda pricey and there isn't a huge fan base for this, so i wanted to ask a specific quesion.

Can the dash command be used at the same time WITH radio or ipod music? this is obviously a make or break it deal. I really want to see all my engine parameters and fuel economy, it would just be better with music :mrgreen:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I currently run my AppRadio2 with DashCommand.  The program is pretty badass overall, and it does work with music playing.

Is the PLX worth it....absolutely not.  Go to amazon and find an ELM 327 Wifi OBD2 Car Diagnostic Reader.  It does the exact same thing and costs like 15 bucks.  Look for the blue and orange one, it works wonderfully with the IPhone.

Good Luck, 

Jeff

I was reading the Kiwi description and it says:

"The Kiwi 2 Wifi incorporates a new advanced power saving circuit, designed to shut off power to essential functions of the unit allowing the Kiwi 2 Wifi to be permanently installed in your vehicle without draining your vehicle's battery. After 5 minutes of inactivity, the Kiwi 2 Wifi automatically enters a low power sleep mode. To turn the unit back on, a simple press of the soft switch wakes the device back up."

If you were to install an ODBII sensor in your car permanently is battery drain something you need to worry about? I would rather pay $30 for the ELM 327 Wifi but I don't want to worry about battery drain.

Thanks

Ian

I had one of the off brand Chinese wifi modules that was always powered that ran for two weeks and it never drained my battery. Unfortunately sense it was off brand made in China it only lasted for two weeks. It is now on its way back to Amazon and I am awaiting my Kiwi 2 now. Also I would recommend staying away from any of the wifi modules that are sold for under 100 bucks. Many or all are counterfeit made in China and will fail in no time and the reviews on Amazon will reflect that reality. If you are going to go cheap just read the reviews before you buy.

I have a bluetooth one that works more than fine. I don't remember off the top of my head which I got but my bluetooth OBD-II works great with my iphone. 

So the iPhone is able to connect to the OBD2 module and hands free calling without conflicts? Don't think the iPhone can connect to more then one BT device at one time.

So the iPhone is able to connect to the OBD2 module and hands free calling without conflicts? Don't think the iPhone can connect to more then one BT device at one time.

The iPhone should have no problem connecting to both, I just connected mine to a Bluetooth keyboard and headset and both worked at the same time. You might have issues if you try to connect it to 2 hands free units at once though. 

I was looking at the GoPoint BT1, it's apple certified and works with DashCommand.

I wonder if using a Wifi module prevents your iphone from using the cellular network since it's trying to use the wifi connection instead.

Mine lives in my car nonstop. I have the GoPoint BT1. Autoconnects right away, doesn't interfere with the AppRadio bluetooth, turns off the second the car does and turns right back on when you turn the car back on. It was worth every penny. I've had it in the car for a good few months now with zero issues. 

Well having the same issues with the KiWi 2 as I did with the Chinese module. Its having problems connecting consistently. Need to do more testing but if I cant get it to connect on a consistent basis I will be exploring the BT options.

Mine lives in my car nonstop. I have the GoPoint BT1. Autoconnects right away, doesn't interfere with the AppRadio bluetooth, turns off the second the car does and turns right back on when you turn the car back on. It was worth every penny. I've had it in the car for a good few months now with zero issues. 

Which iPhone do you have?