AVIC411.com

Confusion Surrounding Pioneer's i5 Compatibility.

There has been a lot of confusion surrounding Pioneer's solutions offered to address the hardware changes that were made to the iPhone 5 when it was released and the limitations or improvements gained from these changes so I am going to detail them here and why these changes were made in the hopes that all confusion can be eliminated.

First of all, screw the Pioneer CD-IH202 i5 cable option. You don't need it to get the same results with any standard HDMI cable and the lightning to USB cable that came with your i5. You still need to purchase the Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter to get full function. Alright here are the different options you have and what you can and cant do with each of them.

No video/No App Mode option: Here you can use the cable that came with your phone and the Apple 30 Pin to Lightning Adapter. You will use the 30 pin legacy iPod/iPhone connector from the unit with the Apple 30 Pin to Lightning Adapter. This will give you access to the built in iPod app on the unit as well as access to the Pandora app as well as charging functions all with album art and full title options. You will not get video or app mode functions with this option. All control functions to the iPod/Pandora apps is done over USB with this option. BT is not affected with this option and will allow full hands free functions. 

Full video and App Mode option: Here you will need any Lightning to USB cable (the one that came with the phone) and any HDMI cable as well as the Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter. The 30 pin legacy connection is no longer used. This will give you full function with all features pertaining to the i5 on the unit as well as charging functions but will disable the built in iPod app on the unit. You will retain that function through app mode with the CarMediaPlayer app. With this option all audio/video will travel down the HDMI cable but all control functions of the apps will be over BT instead of USB. You will also get the ability to mirror the iDevice home screen with this option. Hands free functions are not changed.

Hope this has answered your questions.

Just found this site today. HI everyone

just installed a AVH-8500BHS, I got the worthless cord from pioneer same time I got radio (60$ hdmi cord)

wish I found this site last week

only hard part was setting app connection setting for digital, it did not want to click over even tho I did everything in the manual

The iphone 5 seems to work well with radio, I upgraded from a AVH-P4300DVD that didn't work with the Iphone 5 at all

hello thanks for the info I just bought my app radio 2 and I have no video/no app setup and would like to do the full video and App mode setup. Can you tell me the exact steps to get this to work I plan on buying everything tomorrow and setting it up. Thanks in advance.

You will need everything I state in the thread dealing with Video/App Mode. You will also need to make sure you have firmware 8.30 on the head unit. If not it can be downloaded from the Pioneer site.

thanks for the info but i hooked up everything and all it does is mirror my iphone in the same size as the iphone screen i might add.  I cannot see the advanced app mode come up on the screen nor can i use the car media player app to access my music i have to play music from the phone what could be the problem?

thanks for the info but i hooked up everything and all it does is mirror my iphone in the same size as the iphone screen i might add.  I cannot see the advanced app mode come up on the screen nor can i use the car media player app to access my music i have to play music from the phone what could be the problem?

Make sure u run the appadio app on the iphone first then tap it on the Head unit screen, it will then prompt u to accept connection and thats it. Also make sure you use both files when u update, (YAK,HAT) i used only one and the update was successful but i was missing some features.

thanks i got it to work, but my sound quality is not as good as with the other setup maybe i need an amp and sub or something or some new speakers all together lol

What was it? With me i noticed lower sounds when mirroring but when using radio or supported apps it was decent. U can also mess with the sound settings, there is a loud mode that works great for me. BTW this unit makes my stock speakers sound waaaay better.

• 1 month later...

I am new to this site and new to Pioneer App Radio.  I just bought a 8500BHS and have noticed some quirks in App Mode.  I only have one USB connected to port one, this is the USB that routes to the Apple lightning Connector and into the Apple HDMI adapter.  App radio works fine, but I do not have an option to chose USB 1 Iphone in regular mode (non-app mode).  It is greyed out. 

Also, when in app mode, I cannot chose and play a video from my iPhone5.  I can see the videos.  It acts like it is going to start but doesn't.   I can go to my phone and play the video with no problem, but I had hoped to keep my phone in the center console while in the car.  Maybe this wont be an options.

Can anyone else confirm that there is no USB1 while in app mode and that you cannot play video directly out of app mode?

Video works with app mode. Are you using Car Media Player?

Yes, trying to launch the video from Car Media Player.  It won't launch

Also, is there a way to disable the permission screens on the iPhone 5?  Every time I want to run an app radio function from my 8500, my iPhone 5 asks for permission to access (contacts, calendar, app radio app, media player, etc)  I don't want to have to look at my phone every time I chose something within App Radio on the 8500.