AVIC411.com

Im wondering if windows 8 will work on appradio 2, it would be awesome if you can. I would have a small form factor pc or even a laptop running all my media. No need for keybaord or mouse as windows 8 is fully touch compatable. Anyone know if this can work?

It wont happen until someone obtains the win8 sourcecode, builds and compiles the source with drivers/particulars for the hardware (MIPS i believe) and with memory/storage limitations in mind.. Could it be done? Probably.. Is it likely? nope - I wouldn't hold my breath, it's quite a lot of work and obtainining the code to build the software from is difficult if not impossible... You'd be better off buying a Parrot Asteroid smart with a touch o/s (Android), a chineese copy product or similar.... Funny you mention it though, I've been thinking Win8 would be ideal for a car multimedia device but I haven't seen any on the net....

But windows 8 supports multitouch monitors and appradio is essentially a multitouch device isn't it? I've read that people are connecting Xbox360's and ps3's to it with no problems. Win8 comes with a touchscreen calibration wizard so u can fine tune the touch controls. I don't think there is any code involved.

Ah sorry, i thought you meant on the appradio itself instead og wince :) sure if someone creates cables able to connect the phone to the appradio or some win8 phones has the same connectors as the supported android ones, i suppose it should be possible to write software enabling the win8 phone... Still find it unlikely though ... Maybe Pioneer adds support for win8 in the next gen appradio :)

But not from a phone with windows 8. I'm talking about connecting a windows 8 Computer or laptop to the app radio via HDMI. As long as the multitouch hardware from the radio is compatable I don't see why this wouldn't work. It would be awesome. Coupled with a big harddrive, can you imagine the possibilities? Games, movies, music, Internet, car tuning and diagnostics, etc.

But then you might as well buy a carcomputer and install win8 then?

Yea you are right but carcomputers are pricey, for 275 you cant beat appradio, This unit has so much potential and the possibilities are endless.. Plus I have a bunch of computers lying around so for me the cost will be minimal. Another option would be just to purchase a windows 8 tablet and find a way to integrate to my dash(in dash dock not a holder) , something that I can quickly connect and disconnect. Obviously an ipad would be an ideal in-car full entertainment setup but for the sake of staying on topic i wont get into that.

The future is coming guys!!! Have you all seen the new mercedes with cloud base technology? These cars hold all info on the cloud, car setup and seat adjustments, radio and music presets, and basically all settings can be saved to the cloud. No internal Harddrive memory needed as all your media will be on the cloud as well. So if you were to ever get your car stolen or drive it into a lake you will not lose anything. Once you get your new car you simply log in using your username/password and the car will automatically adjust itself with all your preset settings. I would love to see the future appradio's control everything in the car like a/c, electronics, windows, seat positions and such. Sorry, im in IT so i get overly excited sometimes when talking about electronics.

The audio and video are taken care of by the HDMI.  The touch events are handled by bluetooth.  I'm not sure how the iphone 5 is handled, but dannyz is quite knowledgeable on this.  ARLiberator is a google app that allows rooted android phones to do pretty much the same thing.

I do like the idea and nothing is impossible.