AVIC411.com

Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS app radio mode issues with iphone 5

the unit works pretty well, i piad the $60 for igo and the appradio add on.  it works pretty well though it is annoying that you cant use the physical track forward or backward from  the appradiocontrol app.

one other strange thing is not being able to use an ipod in usb2 while set to iphone digital av,  it says "incompatible" and wont do anything.

Have you try using CarMediaPlayer? Does it works well? I read in other reviews some problems with volume adjustments/control...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have you try using CarMediaPlayer? Does it works well? I read in other reviews some problems with volume adjustments/control...

it works pretty well but it does have its quirks.  its annoying that while using carmediaplayer i can use the physical track forward or back on the unit or my steering controls, you have to actually touch it on the screen which seems strange to me

the unit works pretty well, i piad the $60 for igo and the appradio add on.  it works pretty well though it is annoying that you cant use the physical track forward or backward from  the appradiocontrol app.

one other strange thing is not being able to use an ipod in usb2 while set to iphone digital av,  it says "incompatible" and wont do anything.

I just recently bought the X8500BHS and own the iPhone 5 as well.  Going to install it tomorrow.  I was considering making the purchase for iGo as well if it works well, but was thinking about trying out the free alternatives first.  How well (if at all) does Apple Maps, Google Maps, Waze, etc work with the X8500bhs?

The Inrix app works pretty well for traffic info, but it wasn't adapted very well. It's almost impossible to push the on screen buttons they are smaller than the tip of your pinkie finger and so close to the edge of the screen you can't even get tot hem without some major finger gymnastics

I also find the whole unit pretty laggy with any screen input (esp swipes) you'd think for $650 they could have put a better processor in there

I had a Parrot Asteroid Smart before the Pioneer X8500BHS currently in my car.  The Parrot HU had built in iGo navigation which I though was pretty good, but the Parrot HU just didn't have any physical volume buttons and the sound quality on the Pioneer is much better (at least based on the sample I had) so I returned it and got the Pioneer HU.  I wonder if the iGo navigation software integrated onto a iPhone 5 works as well as the one integrated into other navigation systems.  Also, does iGo lite (the free version) work at all with AppRadio?

I wonder if the iGo navigation software integrated onto a iPhone 5 works as well as the one integrated into other navigation systems.  Also, does iGo lite (the free version) work at all with AppRadio?

No reason it shouldn't sense its straight from iGo as opposed to the OEM version that came with the Parrot. The free version will work but you will need to purchase the App Radio in-app feature. Thats why I recommend any iDevice navi app over the built in piss poor solution from Pioneer. You can pick and choose the features you want for a fraction of the cost of what Pioneer offers.

Questions on the iGo app?

1. If you are running the free/lite version, do you still have to buy their Pioneer AppRadio Support only for it to work?

2. While running this app, can you listen to your music?

That is what i am not liking about any of the AppRadio Navi systems is it is tough to choose the music you want to play or I have not figured out how to choose the folder or playlist.

Thanks for the help,  Chad

1. If you are running the free/lite version, do you still have to buy their Pioneer AppRadio Support only for it to work?

The free version will work but you will need to purchase the App Radio in-app feature.

So how did you miss this?

2. While running this app, can you listen to your music?

Yes. You can hold the home button on the iDevice and use Siri to play an Album, Song, or Artist while in the navi app. The iGo app will return to the intro screen and prompt you to have to hit the OK disclaimer but it will pick up where it left off on your programed route.

I have the same problem as the OP.  I have an iPhone 5, this X8500BHS, and a microbypass that seems to work for everything else (DVDs) but I can't seem to be able to change the App Connection Settings from "Others" to "iPhone (Digitial AV)".  I've disconnected all cables, turned off bluetooth, turned off all sources but still can't get in to make the change.  All I can do is mirror my iPhone's screen on unit (which is actually pretty cool and almost good enough for my navigation needs), but it is really driving me nuts why can't I go in to make the change to the App Connection Settings.

People thought I was strange because I had no interest in phone integration when it came to a fancy headunit for my truck.  One of the main reasons I got the 8400BH was due to it being the best player I could find for a massive music collection that wasn't dependent upon another music device (i.e. a phone) for music playback capabilities.  Phone dependency is very bad because your headunit is probably going to remain in your car for a long time while your phone will probably be replaced every 18-24 months due to how cheaply they are manufactured.  My thinking is, OK your headunit is compatible with your phone today but what about 2 years from now?  What about 4 years from now?

Well, here we are with incompatibilities with a major phone released just months after the release of the headunit and people were sweating bullets over whether or not Pioneer would update the device.

If this doesn't make people appreciate the importance of keeping these devices separate and independent from each other than I don't know what will.

I totally disagree. I have owned most Kenwood and Pioneer units sense 2006 and I have to say that the App Radio 2 with iPhone 5 I have now is as close to flawless any head unit has ever been. Pioneer simply cant make a unit with the full capabilities of what you get when pair the unit with a good smart phone or other dedicated device. If they could it would be so expensive it would be priced out of the typical market for someone buying an aftermarket head unit.