AVIC411.com

Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS app radio mode issues with iphone 5

I have the same problem as the OP.  I have an iPhone 5, this X8500BHS, and a microbypass that seems to work for everything else (DVDs) but I can't seem to be able to change the App Connection Settings from "Others" to "iPhone (Digitial AV)".  I've disconnected all cables, turned off bluetooth, turned off all sources but still can't get in to make the change.  All I can do is mirror my iPhone's screen on unit (which is actually pretty cool and almost good enough for my navigation needs), but it is really driving me nuts why can't I go in to make the change to the App Connection Settings.

Hi,

i'm italian and sorry for my bad english....

me too this problem, i'm stop in the menù and i can't select "AV IPHONE"  I rest in OTHERS

I've an iphone 5 jailbreak

Help please

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I resolved the problem of not being able to select "Digital AV (iPhone)" yesterday.  I had to completely disconnect the HDMI cable and my two USB cables FROM THE BACK of the Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS before I was able to make the selection.  My guess is that it was the HDMI cable.  Maybe Pioneer did need to sell consumers a HDMI cable with specific tolerances (such as in the CD-IH202 kit) for it to work perfectly (total 100% guess on my part).  My HDMI cable was a cheapie $4 cable from Amazon.  

Now that I have AppRadio working, honestly it is somewhat uneventful.  It kind of sucks you cannot play music from non-AppRadio sources while in AppRadio mode, but a simple press of the Mode button switches you back and forth.  As far as Navigation goes, I tried to download iGo lite for my phone, but since I don't have much space on my 16GB iPhone 5 I couldn't download to see how well it works.  GPS Drive Motion X requires a $25 upgrade to be able to use the touch functionality on the AVH-X8500BHS screen.  Waze actually seems to work pretty well for me, especially considering it is a completely free App from Apple's appstore.  

My iPhone 5 is not jail-broken running 6.1.3.

As far as Navigation goes, I tried to download iGo lite for my phone, but since I don't have much space on my 16GB iPhone 5 I couldn't download to see how well it works.

If you have space issues on your phone you might want to consider iTunes Match and stream your from iCloud. You can also try the gMusic app which is AR compatible. This will allow you to have access to all of your music while freeing space on your iDevice for apps.

If you have space issues on your phone you might want to consider iTunes Match and stream your from iCloud. You can also try the gMusic app which is AR compatible. This will allow you to have access to all of your music while freeing space on your iDevice for apps.

Yeah, I looked into going down that iTunes Match route but my music collection a bit larger than 20K songs. Actually I just need to clean out some photos from my phone.

You do realize only the songs that iTunes does match will use that 20K limit right. At least as far as I understand.

The last time I looked into it, there wasn't a simple way to partition your music collection if you're over their limit.  BTW, I just looked at it appears the limit is 25K and not 20K.

Yeah it analyzes all of your music. But it only uploads to the limit what iTunes doesn't have. It simply "matches" whats in your collection to what they have available which is streamed right from their server so no need to have it uploaded to the 25K limit. I only have a little over 5k songs so this was a no brainer for my 16GB iPhone. It may be worth a try for you. As I understand they do offer a 14 day refund if you don't like it.

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same problem as a lot of people in this thread (not being able to change the App Connection Settings from "Others" to "iPhone (Digitial AV)).  All the unit would do is a mirror function.  What I did to make the option come up on the Menu.  I don't know if all of these need to be done.

1) Turned off Bluetooth on phone and the auto detect in the Bluetooth menu

2) Disconnected the HDMI cable from the back of the unit.

3) removed USB stick from USB port 2.

4) disconnected HDMI cable from lightning adapter.

5) left the USB to lightning connected to the phone.

6) got the unit to the off state.

7) got to the menu App Connections Settings page.

8) Disconnected the phone at the lightning port.

I think #8 is the key.

I than was able to change the settings from "Others" to "iPhone Digitial AV".

Hope that helps some people.

Hello everyone, I just purchased a AVH-X8500BHS last week and I am still working on getting everything in order. However I can't seem to change the digital av to iPhone 5 or anything other then other, I can sometimes run appradio mode but the actual head unit will not allow for me to control or select any of the apps, a finger with a red X shows up. I am guessing that has a lot to do with the digital av.

This is what I have tried so far:

I did not purchase the Pioneer recommended HDMI cable and just used one I had laying around, after not being successful with one cable I changed it to another which is allowing me to open appradio mode. If I have another app they support in the background (Waze) while I plug in the phone then open the appradio app on my iPhone 5 app radio mode says hello then loads a few apps, I managed to change my background picture on the appradio from the app on the phone but that is the only functionality it has other then being able to see some apps that are compatible. I have a 2 lightning cables I have also tried and the apple HDMI AV adapter is also the real deal.

Is the CD-IH202 really necessary? It's a $45 aspirin at this point...

I would greatly appreciate any help from anyone that might know what might be causing this.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey there all,

I'm having issues getting app mode to work too.  All I have currently is mirroring as well.  I've tried everything that people have listed in here and the problem that I'm running in to is that I cannot for the life of me figure out how to change the "app mode" settings.  I keep getting the following message....

photo

I've unhooked all usb cables, and HDMI cable.  I verified I'm using the corrent USB port on the back of the HU.  I've turned off bluetooth on the phone and the HU.  I've powered off the phone all together.  I've tried it with app radio app on, and even uninstalled.  I'm really at a loss.  The only reason I even want app mode is for navigation but at this point I'm starting to wonder if I should just hold out and buy the avic-u250 add on and call it a day.  This is really getting frustrating.  Any help would be GREATLY apreciated.

Thanks,

Billy

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me if I can control iGO on the unit using an iPhone 5? I've tried Waze, but you have to use the phone (no touch screen controls on the unit itself work for me). I want to download it and buy the AppRadio extension, but not if it's not going to work on my iPhone 5 the way I want it to. 

Edit: Got Waze working, still wondering if iGO works like Waze does. I don't want to drop $50 on something and it not be what I was expecting. Thanks

• 1 month later...

Billy, you need to get the digital AV enabled. Try unplugging the phone, disable Bluetooth and unplug mhl/av dongles and hit the tiny reset button with a pen tip on the bottom left. I didn't need to unplug anything behind the HU. Note that your camera and other settings might go to default, but that's how I got my digital av enabled.