AVIC411.com

Advanced App Mode Apps & Other Brand's Versions

So I just bought a new car (2013 Prius) and trying to decide whether or not to replace the OEM stereo, I most likely will since I have two lifetime SiriusXM subscriptions and I'm pretty sure they don't let you transfer those to OEM car stereos.

I'm curious what peoples thoughts are; especially you Blue since I think we both have dislikes for Pioneer lately.

The new car comes with a service called Entune which is essentially App Radio Mode but limited to a tiny handful of apps. When I got my iPhone 5 I lost ARM and wasn't too concerned since I never found any of the apps useful. The Entune apps I actually like.. Especially the gas prices, weather app, bing POI search, and I could even see myself using the movie tickets and open table app... so I now have renewed interest in App Radio type functionality.. I noticed it even gets its traffic information from the internet instead of FM.. and so far it seems much more reliable than what I get off FM with my Pioneer.. They get their info from Inrix rather than total traffic, not sure if it's a false perception or not.

It doesn't appear that Pioneer's ARM supports any similar apps currently so I'm not sure whether it's worth investing in all of the cables/adapters required to move my X920BT (with 940 firmware) into my new car.. Plus I'd like to add the HD radio that the OEM radio has, and probably replace my XM tuner since it's problematic.. Might be more economical to just buy the X950BH if I stay with Pioneer... The Bluetooth hands-free has always been crap with my X920, not sure if it's any better with the X950..

So I'm curious.. has anyone here seen any other brand units which have their own version of app radio mode, work with the iPhone 5, and support apps in the categories of Weather, Gas Prices, Internet POI Search, etc?

I'm really struggling with whether or not to keep the stock unit, move my X920BT in, upgrade to a newer Pioneer unit, or just go with another brand altogether..

-Keith

I can't help with other brands recent models, I will say as I own a 2013 Prius C with Entune and a 2013 scion frs with a.x950 that there are advantages to both. Entune voice command is a big win over the x950, plus it has fully integrated interface with the synergy drive on the car. I don't like entunes subscription after the first 3 years are up. Also the dash screen integration with the multi device buttons on the steering wheel are problematic with after market headunits.

The x950 would only grace my Prius if I decided to upgrade the sound system extensively as it has superior sound clarity with its numerous higher grade plugs on the back. My FRS had a boring base radio and a weak OEM upgrade option hence why I chose the x950 in it. I also upgraded the factory speakers and amp. Entune head units don't have support for disabling the onboard amp or subwoofer support. The x950 has xmsirius with a transferred lifetime subscription that they would not move toy Prius. The x950 also has hd radio so same there. The apps on Entune are mirrored on appradio with similar counterparts. I have actually had better luck with traffic on the x950 than the Entune.

That being said, unless you have a specific app you need on your headunits that Entune doesn't provide on your Prius, I would leave the Entune alone. If it was any other Toyota I would say your options are open, but the Prius deeper integration into Entune (synergy screen, ability to change horn honk for security, daytime running lights on and off and other options in the Entune menus) tells me to leave well enough alone.

I can chime in only to what I know about the current Pio units as I know nothing of Entune. The apps you mention you like with Entune, there are AR alternatives:

CommuteWX is an excellent weather app. http://a443.phobos.apple.com/us/r1000/114/Purple/v4/9a/eb/18/9aeb18fa-bc4a-83a7-69d8-c184950739c4/mzl.itntpytz.480x480-75.jpg http://a950.phobos.apple.com/us/r1000/101/Purple/v4/06/0c/6f/060c6f3c-2ed0-1711-9b5b-7b1661dcf350/mzl.hqdesbfg.640x960-75.jpg

Radarscope although isn't AR compatible it will mirror perfectly on the screen with App Radio Extensions. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/radarscope/id288419283?mt=8

iGo Primo is an excellent navi/POI app. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/north-america-igo-primo-app/id321933312?mt=8

But I think I agree with epsilonkore in the fact that you have a Prius with a heavily integrate vehicle system control in your dash that would be difficult to retain with an aftermarket head unit. Don't know if its worth it.

I can't help with other brands recent models, I will say as I own a 2013 Prius C with Entune and a 2013 scion frs with a.x950 that there are advantages to both. Entune voice command is a big win over the x950, plus it has fully integrated interface with the synergy drive on the car. I don't like entunes subscription after the first 3 years are up. Also the dash screen integration with the multi device buttons on the steering wheel are problematic with after market headunits.

The x950 would only grace my Prius if I decided to upgrade the sound system extensively as it has superior sound clarity with its numerous higher grade plugs on the back. My FRS had a boring base radio and a weak OEM upgrade option hence why I chose the x950 in it. I also upgraded the factory speakers and amp. Entune head units don't have support for disabling the onboard amp or subwoofer support. The x950 has xmsirius with a transferred lifetime subscription that they would not move toy Prius. The x950 also has hd radio so same there. The apps on Entune are mirrored on appradio with similar counterparts. I have actually had better luck with traffic on the x950 than the Entune.

That being said, unless you have a specific app you need on your headunits that Entune doesn't provide on your Prius, I would leave the Entune alone. If it was any other Toyota I would say your options are open, but the Prius deeper integration into Entune (synergy screen, ability to change horn honk for security, daytime running lights on and off and other options in the Entune menus) tells me to leave well enough alone.

Thanks for the feedback, interesting information. Does your Prius have the JBL system? Mine is the 6 speaker non JBL so I'm not sure that my system has an amp or sub. It actually sounds pretty decent for stock and I do like the voice commands but I hate the Nav on it. Speaker phone is way better than my X920 but I'm guessing it's the mic which is why. My biggest concern is getting XM in there, I hate the idea of paying for a sub when I own not one but two lifetime subs.

So far there's nothing I think I'd miss as far as integration goes, my features are set as I'd like them, I bought a Bluetooth ODBII module so I could program via that anyway, and the info the Car button shows seems to just duplicate what the dash shows me anyway. Losing the steering controls would be my only concern but I'm guessing there's is a module to fix that.. Though I'm assuming I'd lose the answer / end call and voice response button. Tough call...

I really want to add a sub which is my other issue since I'm pretty sure there are no low level outputs on the stock radio. I guess I could tap into the rear high's but I hate that idea.

There isnt a JBL option on the Prius C to my knowledge, when you get Entune on the Prius C you get the 6 speaker premium audio, but it is not branded. On the Prius C there isnt (to my knowledge) an external amp (like my FR-S has) to go along with the headunits built in amp.

The one thing I really wish the Entune unit had was a sub out and a built in crossover for  the other speakers, that would give me the much needed low end that is missing and I would completely forget about anything aftermarket.

I am not a fan of the built in Nav software on the Entune, it has a rather flat layout with poor graphics and speed, but that could change with the next software update. Entune is a work in progress, the fact that its in almost every Toyota and software upgradable via download packs leaves me to believe that things WILL get better.

If you have the ODBII module to program with,  or access to the Toyota TechStream software, the additional Entune integrated controls are moot. If a steering wheel module exists to get around it that issue, and you can find a good looking dash kit, then you probably could upgrade with minimal loss.

There isnt a JBL option on the Prius C to my knowledge, when you get Entune on the Prius C you get the 6 speaker premium audio, but it is not branded. On the Prius C there isnt (to my knowledge) an external amp (like my FR-S has) to go along with the headunits built in amp.

The one thing I really wish the Entune unit had was a sub out and a built in crossover for  the other speakers, that would give me the much needed low end that is missing and I would completely forget about anything aftermarket.

I am not a fan of the built in Nav software on the Entune, it has a rather flat layout with poor graphics and speed, but that could change with the next software update. Entune is a work in progress, the fact that its in almost every Toyota and software upgradable via download packs leaves me to believe that things WILL get better.

If you have the ODBII module to program with,  or access to the Toyota TechStream software, the additional Entune integrated controls are moot. If a steering wheel module exists to get around it that issue, and you can find a good looking dash kit, then you probably could upgrade with minimal loss.

I have a Persona, not a C, but I'm sure the details are the same anyway.

I'm actually charging up my old iPhone 4S and going to toss it in my old car and play with app mode to see how I feel about it these days, that'll help my decision. I did read somewhere that Sirius let someone transfer a lifetime sub to an OEM radio but once you do you can't transfer it ever again... Not sure if it's true, but good to know it might be an option.. though not using any of my $75 transfers I'm not sure I'm 100% willing to marry it for good to an OEM radio.

-Keith

I transferred mine from an OEM to my Pioneer, they were hesitant to do it at all but I brought up that I was told that I could do it 3 times (and pay $75 every time) before it would be cancelled. They told me that you could only transfer 3 times with hand held devices, but with car head units (whether OEM or aftermarket) you could not transfer your lifetime ever. Once I explained that that was NOT what I was told when I bought it 3 years ago, they allowed me to transfer it one more time to my x950 (actually to my siriusxm v200 adapter that attaches to the x950 so hopefully it will move with the adapter a few more times after the x950 is long gone).

With that being said, does anyone know if that's how SiriusXM works? Do they assign the account to your SiriusXM external adapter like the V200, or do they pass through it and grab a number from the x950?

• 2 weeks later...

I can chime in only to what I know about the current Pio units as I know nothing of Entune. The apps you mention you like with Entune, there are AR alternatives:

CommuteWX is an excellent weather app. http://a443.phobos.apple.com/us/r1000/114/Purple/v4/9a/eb/18/9aeb18fa-bc4a-83a7-69d8-c184950739c4/mzl.itntpytz.480x480-75.jpg http://a950.phobos.apple.com/us/r1000/101/Purple/v4/06/0c/6f/060c6f3c-2ed0-1711-9b5b-7b1661dcf350/mzl.hqdesbfg.640x960-75.jpg

Radarscope although isn't AR compatible it will mirror perfectly on the screen with App Radio Extensions. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/radarscope/id288419283?mt=8

iGo Primo is an excellent navi/POI app. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/north-america-igo-primo-app/id321933312?mt=8

But I think I agree with epsilonkore in the fact that you have a Prius with a heavily integrate vehicle system control in your dash that would be difficult to retain with an aftermarket head unit. Don't know if its worth it.

Hey Blue,

I was thinking about what you said and also was viewing one of your old posts with the embedded youtube videos showing off your iPad installation and it got me thinking.. Maybe.. just maybe.. that's really what I should be doing.. Keep the stock stereo but just throw an iPad mount in the car and stream via Bluetooth... I can stream my SiriusXM.. and hell everything else is at my fingertips..  I'm curious what your thoughts are and if your opinion has changed since making those videos.

1. Do you feel that using the iPad while driving is cumbersome or interferes with your ability to drive while changing music or audio sources on it?

2. You mentioned you have unlimited data and are tethering and are jailbroken, has your carrier given you any issues with that? (I have an iPhone 5, grandfathered with an unlimited data plan, however I'm not jailbroken at the moment and can't tether obviously.. I was considering jailbreaking however I've read that some apps like Netflix, iBooks, and others refuse to run if it detects the phone is jailbroken and AT&T will rip that plan away from me if they detect tethering.. so that has been a concern of mine.. However I do have unlimited data on my iPad too so that is a thought..)

3. Do you feel that the navigation apps on the iPad are better than the ones on the head units you've used? Is there a particular iPad nav app you prefer over all the others?

-Keith

1. You are always taking a big risk when operating your "head unit" while driving and taking your eyes off the road. That being said, an iPad or any tablet for that matter is likely the easiest and safest platform to operate while driving.

2. I have been throttled by AT&T a couple of times for excessive data sense they started doing that over the last year or so. However I have never been threatened nor do I believe they actually have a way to detect that you are tethering without them knowing. I avoid video over the network as much as possible sense that obviously uses a lot of ban width but I will on occasion view Youtube.

3. Just about any iOS navi app is far superior to any in-dash navi solution IMO. My favorite navi app for iPad is Navigon followed by iGo Primo. 

Lastly, although I am now rocking the App Radio 2 and enjoying it thoroughly, I do feel that an iPad, particularly the iPad Mini would be the best all around solution for someone that wants unlimited options. I may in fact revisit the idea in the future. For now the AR2 is suiting my needs. But if you have the money or the skill to DIY a complicated dash fabrication for an iPad I say certainly go for it.

After doing quite a bit of thinking... I decided I'm definitely going to replace my stock HU with an aftermarket, the biggest reason is to get better NAV than what the Toyota Entune unit has (yuck) and so I can transfer my lifetime XM subscription to an aftermarket tuner and retain the ability to do transfers down the road.. (If I transfer it to the OEM radio I can never transfer it again)..

So now it comes down to what unit I want.. Despite all of my issues Pioneer's navigation (I loved my N3, but everything else just sucks).. I want to use app mode.. and it's looking like my choices are either Pioneer or Kenwood..  Blue, I know you have used them all.. do you have any opinion on Kenwood vs. Pioneer? (I'm assuming you like Pioneer better since you have the App Radio 2 right now).. I'm leaning towards the Z150.. though I am concerned about the motorized face since that's what ultimately died in my N3.. 

-Keith

Comparing navis between Kenwood and Pioneer is night and day. The Pioneer navi is garbage and the Kenwood uses Garmin so the best is obvious. However now that Pioneer has the App Radio I personally would not pick either manufacture for navi. You can do so much better with App Mode and any one of the many iOS navi options available. My personal favorite right now is iGO Primo. If you compare the cost of the App radio and the iOS apps you will use with it you will save a tone of money over any in-dash navi unit and have better results in most cases.

• 5 months later...