AVIC411.com

SD Card Issues (mp3/mp4) - x850BT

Hi all,

I am a new Avic x850bt owner, and I am trying to figure out a few minor bugs. I have a Sandisk SDHC 32GB card, formatted in Fat32 that I plan on using for music/video. I set up a music folder, and dropped MP3 files in there, and then a video folder, and dropped the properly encoded mp4 files.

For a few days, everything was fine. SD card would play music, I could browse through the directories and play them no problem. Video worked fine as well. I even loaded in a custom splash screen.

Last night I turned on the SD function, and it gave me the 'Will skip any unplayable media formats' or something like that. I hooked up the SD card to my computer, everything was still intact. I even formatted it again, reloaded the same files I had previously used, and the unit will not recognize anything anymore.

Also unrelated, utilizing the 'bluetooth audio' function and running SUBSONIC on my Galaxy Note II works fine, but some times it shows no info on the Pioneer (Just pause and stop), and some times it shows the song/artist no problem. All very random, not sure why.

Thanks ahead of time if anyone has any suggestions.

I have the EXACT same issue with my x950bh. SD card worked fine for a few days, and since I can't get it to work! Same message as yours, I think - "Tracks that cannot be be played back will be skipped." I made sure to remove all the weird Mac OS X files that were on the card and everything.

Out of curiosity, have you tried a new card altogether with different files?  I'm curious to see if the files that were played were cached in somehow or if the entire SD card playback is now NG.  I have an X950BH but have only used the card twice to play music and videos and so far it's worked each time.  How long before you noticed this problem?  Between that and the whole app radio firmware delay, I'm wondering if I made a mistake in getting this unit. :?

Also, has anyone called Pioneer tech support to alert them about this (which would probably take forever on hold of course)?

I posted a question similar to this earler when I bought my X950BH and noted some videos that played from a USB thumb drive on a X940 unit did not play on the X950? Here are what I tried so far:

- Reformated and reloaded the thumb drive, no change.

- Put the videos on a CD-ROM, no change in the ones that did not run now.

- Loaded some non and good running videos on a different thumb drive, no difference.

- Loaded several videos on a flash drive and non running did not run but running ones did so I do not think it is the media.

- Ran the non running videos through HandBrake again, checking the settings as to the sticky post from here, no change.

I also checked the videos on my Blu-Ray player to see if they had that new type of copy protection and none of them did. For example the pirate copies of Oblivion will not run for more than a minute before stopping with the copy protection message.

The only thing I think left to try is to run the videos from an iPhone or laptop through the USB connection and so far I have decided to hell with all that trouble! I talked to the guys at the sound shop where I bought mine and I found out I am the first one they sold one to so they are no help it seems!

Out of curiosity, have you tried a new card altogether with different files?  I'm curious to see if the files that were played were cached in somehow or if the entire SD card playback is now NG.  I have an X950BH but have only used the card twice to play music and videos and so far it's worked each time.  How long before you noticed this problem?  Between that and the whole app radio firmware delay, I'm wondering if I made a mistake in getting this unit. :?

Also, has anyone called Pioneer tech support to alert them about this (which would probably take forever on hold of course)?

I haven't tried a new SD card (I only have the one micro, and this is the only device that uses it!), but after re-formatting shouldn't it "think" it's a new one?  I suppose I could try naming it something different and see if that helps get it to re-scan -- I'll try that tonight.

I'm emailing Pioneer, and they've been (somewhat) responsive in the past.  I'm pretty grumpy about this unit too -- it's clearly a great device, with a ton of features, and it's almost all there, but the execution/release was clearly poor.  They need that firmware update asap.

I am going to try and use another SD card today.. which is a bummer if that is the issue since I purchased a nice new 32gb one from amazon.. I may email pioneer also if that doesn't work. Hopefully we can get this figured out. I found your other thread before I posted this Oldracer, and tried the handbrake reencoding etc, no dice.

It's really weird though because it wasn't like I took out the SD card, loaded something new into it, and then it didnt work. I turned off my car, ran in to get something, came back out and got the errors. literally NOTHING changed.

No dice on a totally different SD card. Both formatted Fat32/default allocation size, I put a 'Music' and a 'video' directory on the card, and then a few mp3 files in music, and one freshly encoded mp4 into the video. Same error. I am assuming the only other thing to try is to fully reset the head unit, but I am not quite sure how to do that..and kind of don't want to either to lose all of the GPS learning/settings.. unless you guys don't think that's a big deal.

Okay so I called Tech Support, problem was fixed with a settings->factory reset. It actually kept my GPS learned information so far, but wiped out everything else. (Not a huge deal, favorites and settings are easy to redo). They said it was either a 'glitch' that had to be reset, or a problem with the SD reader. I am leaning towards the first reason so far. I will keep testing and let everyone know what happens.

The other thing I found out was that since I purchased it through Amazon, that I have no warranty at all on it.. which is nice hah.

If anyone else calls, be prepared it took about an hour. Asked about the firmware update coming out for you iphone 5 folks, and I got a 'we don't know.'

Okay so I called Tech Support, problem was fixed with a settings->factory reset. It actually kept my GPS learned information so far, but wiped out everything else. (Not a huge deal, favorites and settings are easy to redo). They said it was either a 'glitch' that had to be reset, or a problem with the SD reader. I am leaning towards the first reason so far. I will keep testing and let everyone know what happens.

The other thing I found out was that since I purchased it through Amazon, that I have no warranty at all on it.. which is nice hah.

If anyone else calls, be prepared it took about an hour. Asked about the firmware update coming out for you iphone 5 folks, and I got a 'we don't know.'

They don't know about the firmware update for hte iPhone 5?  All I know is that there will be law suits for false advertising if that update doesn't come out by the summer.  Amazing how I was able to see a demo of it at CES in Las Vegas in January but still no official release.  I'd almost take the beta at this point.

Anyway, thanks for the input RE: the microSD card.  I have not exeperienced this issue yet but I've only used it twice.  Hoping I don't have to reset the unit as I can't even remember the settings I've done with the exception of radio presets, etc.  You would think that by now they would have developed a way to offload all your presets and preferences onto an SD card so if there is a batttery pull or a reset done, you can just reload them back w/o all the hassle.  Maybe down the road someone will get smart about that!

Sorry, I didn't say it as clear as I meant to.. they know about the firmware, and it only is to add specific iphone 5 functionality.. but they don't know of a release timeframe for it yet. I don't use an iphone but I figured I'd pass along the info since I've noticed that as an issue.

The reset really only forced me to repair my phone, and re-set my SiriusXM favorites which only took a minute.. minor things here and there which wasn't too bad. The GPS learning in simple hybrid mode seemed to stay which was nice.. but yes, if this has to be a bi weekly thing, I will be very annoyed.

The firmware update is to enable AppRadio Mode for the iPhone 5.  Hopefully sooner than later.

That's good to know since I too have the Sirius XM tuner.  Re-pairing the phone is no big deal either.

As far as the GPS learning is concerned, I never could honestly figure out the advantage to this feature.  It records your speed and inclination but how does this improve things for me?

I don't know, I figured it takes into account the speed of the vehicle/turning by gforces or whatnot and saves it in the unit to make it more accurate over time. I just can't figure out what the speed pulse number is that starts at 0 and goes up here and there. I'm showing up to 4 but I don't know what that really does (since I don't have any of the wires hooked up, its just going off of the antenna'

Speed pulse, when hooked up correctly to the VSS on your car, can give accurate mph to the GPS instead of it updating via the less precise gps signal. The main result is smoother map transitions that are much more accurate in low signal or no signal (under a bridge, or in a large city with sky scrapers blocking signal). When the pink VSS cable is not connected, the unit guesses your speed pulse based off the GPS signal. Once you hook it up to your car correctly you will see the speed pulse scale move smoothly from one number to another as you speed up and slow down, with just GPS it is jerky and delayed, just like your maps.

Sorry, I didn't say it as clear as I meant to.. they know about the firmware, and it only is to add specific iphone 5 functionality.. but they don't know of a release timeframe for it yet. I don't use an iphone but I figured I'd pass along the info since I've noticed that as an issue.

The reset really only forced me to repair my phone, and re-set my SiriusXM favorites which only took a minute.. minor things here and there which wasn't too bad. The GPS learning in simple hybrid mode seemed to stay which was nice.. but yes, if this has to be a bi weekly thing, I will be very annoyed.

Anything else disappear after reset besides re-pairing and radio favorites? I just want to keep track of a few things before I reset it.

Discovered another (easier) workaround for my SD card issue!!

Changing the voice on the navigation forces a "program restart" (you confirm "yes") which reboots the unit in some sort of more significant way. Afterwards, SD card played fine, and all my settings and favorites were still there! I left the voice changed (trying TTS), but i think it's a safe assumption that its the reset not the new voice that fixed it (haha).