AVIC411.com

MPH reading on Avic-X950BH

I wish they would do like Garmin does (or Kenwood which is Garmin) and that is to post the speed limit on the screen for the road you are driving on along with your speed.

If Pioneer used a real navi software company like Kenwood does it would offer that as a feature.

If Pioneer used a real navi software company like Kenwood does it would offer that as a feature.

I know it!  I almost went with the Kenwood since I have a Nuvi 3490LMT for when I travel but I read about so many issues on the Kenwood forums about firmware updates bricking units and such that I decided to stay with the AVIC since I've owned two others in the past (P6500 and the N3).  I also figured that I could use the App Radio Mode to run Google Maps or some other mapping app instead of the built in unit if need be (of course if they EVER release the damn firmware for the iPhone 5 that is).  What I don't get is that I believe Garmin uses Navteq as well as Pioneer.  Why can't Pioneer get the street data for speed limits like Garmin does?  Does Garmin pay Navteq more for this or does this data come from another source perhaps?  Either way, you'd think that with all the apps out today that do supply this information, it would have been a no brainer at this point in time to include such a feature.

• 3 weeks later...

The units in the UK don't display actual speed, but the speed limit of the road travelling on. It displays the speed, next to the name of the road. Its on  page 130 under customizing preferences for the f940.I have had a look at the f950 manual, I think that is the equivalent to the X950, it states it on page 128 under customizing preferences. I have also looked at the X950 manual and it does not state this feature, how strange that they would leave this out for the American market, but have it for Europe.

Koush

The units in the UK don't display actual speed, but the speed limit of the road travelling on. It displays the speed, next to the name of the road. Its on  page 130 under customizing preferences for the f940.I have had a look at the f950 manual, I think that is the equivalent to the X950, it states it on page 128 under customizing preferences. I have also looked at the X950 manual and it does not state this feature, how strange that they would leave this out for the American market, but have it for Europe.

Koush

Wow...I never realized the euro version had this.  Strange how a company like Garmin has this in their Nuvi's but Pioneer only has it for certain regions.  Not only does Garmin have the speed limit but the current speed turns red when you exceed it.  I had to double check the manual and you're right.  Here it is listed at 70 km/h...

post-43771-0-44090400-1369025133_thumb.jpg

I have a US model with the speed sensor cable active (smooths out map transitions, allows for mapping in tunnels among other things) but I dont see a speed readout on the built in map. Perhaps once you have the speed cable active you get the option to turn it on somewhere? I havent looked... maybe Ill get a chance over the holiday weekend.

I don't really care about how fast I'm going.  I want to know what the posted speed limit is on the road that I'm driving on.  Garmin has this for the US market and Pioneer seems to have it on their european models.  Don't know why they can't add speed limit info to the US models.

This is a feature thats been requested sense 2006 and they still haven't added it so you likely wont ever see it until they go with something other then the garbage navi software they are using now. This is why I tell everyone to go with app mode for navi.