AVIC411.com

Microbypass doesn't work with AVH-X8500BHS w/ lights on

I have the AVH-X8500BHS installed with a Microbypass installed working perfectly until last night. It took me a day to figure out why all of a sudden it stopped working, but was able to repeat the "fault" by simply turning on the headlights. Seems to be some type of voltage drop somewhere that is causing the head unit to think the parking brake is engaged. Since the Microbypass uses the Amp turn on signal, Parking brake signal, and Ground... I'm guessing the newer AVH also is triggered by the illumination signal? as in it doesn't believe a parked car should have headlights on?

I have the AVH-X8500BHS installed with a Microbypass installed working perfectly until last night. It took me a day to figure out why all of a sudden it stopped working, but was able to repeat the "fault" by simply turning on the headlights. Seems to be some type of voltage drop somewhere that is causing the head unit to think the parking brake is engaged. Since the Microbypass uses the Amp turn on signal, Parking brake signal, and Ground... I'm guessing the newer AVH also is triggered by the illumination signal? as in it doesn't believe a parked car should have headlights on?

Don't have that issue with mine. Are you sure you wired your microbypass properly? Sounds like you might have accidentally run one of the wires to the dimmer wire on your harness.

Don't have that issue with mine. Are you sure you wired your microbypass properly? Sounds like you might have accidentally run one of the wires to the dimmer wire on your harness.

I'll check my wires again sometime this week if I get a chance, but I'm pretty sure even I didn't mistake the orange illumination wire for some other wire.  I think the problem is that I have too much of a load on the remote amp turn-on signal coming from the Pioneer AVH-X8500BHS.  It is now going to 1.) Microbypass 2.) OEM Power (Amplified) Antenna and the 3.) OEM amp turn-on signal.  The OEM amp turn-on signal actually isn't even strong enough to turn on my aftermarket Rockford Fosgate amp so I had to tap into ACC for my actual amp turn-on signal.  I'm hoping if I just disconnect the #3 signal above (OEM amp turn-on signal) the act of flipping the lights on my Scion FRS wouldn't perturb anything with the Microbypass.  (I'm actually at a real lost right now what's going on with the X8500BHS and the Microbypass).  I'm currently have problems setting the "App Connection Settings" from "Others" to "Digital AV (iPhone)" so hopefully whatever I do here will fix that as well.

This is the correspondence with the Ebay seller with the Microbypass.  So far he seems very responsive:

Dear jarid8w4n,

Thanks for the response. I'll go back in either tonight or some night this week to try to eliminate the problem.

1.) Ground - As for grounding, I did reuse the ground wire in the factory harness through the wire adapter... I can try to just go straight to the chassis for everything (both the AVH-8500BHS stereo and Microbypass) instead.
2.) Green parking brake wire - since I did the install myself, it was never actually connected to the parking brake and I didn't use the red tyco connector. Pretty sure I have this connection correct.
3.) Remote amp turn on (Blue) - I have a feeling this might be where the problem is. The X8500BHS only has one signal coming out for remote amp turn on. I'm currently running 3 things to it a.) OEM powered antenna b.) your microbypass, and c.) the amp turn-on for an amp in the back. The "c" signal wasn't actually strong enough (?) to turn on my aftermarket Rockford Fosgate amp so I have another tap off the stereo's ACC to turn on my amp. I should be able to remove the "c" signal and see if it fixes my problem with the Microbypass working at the same time the headlights are on. At first I was thinking Pioneer had another condition where video can only be shown if headlights were off.

- mit_peid

To: mit_peid
Subject: Re: mit_peid has sent a question about item #161003086601, ending on May-06-13 10:48:35 PDT - NEW Pioneer AVH-X6500DVD AVH-X7500BT AVH-X8500BHS Parking Brake Bypass TR7 PAC
Sent Date: Apr-29-13 13:38:10 PDT

Dear mit_peid,

Hello. I am really sorry that you are having a problem, but do not worry as I am here to help. We test every unit before it ships out to ensure every customer receives a quality working unit. Please let me know the year/make/model of the vehicle so I can help you troubleshoot the installation. Also, If you are using scotch-lock or t-tap connectors, remove them as this is not a reliable connection. Directly twist and tape the connections to provide a reliable connection.

The most common problems I see in installation are: 
1. The interface and radio must share the same grounding point, and it must be a good clean metal ground. (In some vehicles there is a ground wire in the aftermarket harness, but not in the factory harness. You can try a new ground by simply temporarily jumping a wire from the existing connections to a metal point in the vehicle to rule this out)
2. The light green parking brake wire on the radio must go directly to the green wire on the interface and nothing else. If this radio was originally installed somewhere, they usually run this light green wire to the parking brake. A simple way to correct this is to cut the light green wire about 6 inches from the back of the radio and tie it directly to the green interface wire. Also, you must not use the red tyco connector on the end of the radios light green wire, as it is not for the correct gauge wire on the interface.
3. It is also possible that something is interfering (or back-feeding power)with the interface at the remote turn on lead. To troubleshoot this, please connect only the interfaces blue wire to the blue/white with no other wires connected to it (some vehicles have a blue wire in the aftermarket vehicle side harness for the factory amplifier and/or factory powered antenna.) Temporarily disconnect any other wires to see if this is the issue. If this is the problem, I can provide a simple work around. 

Please let me know what you figure out. Thank you, -Paul

- jarid8w4n

I figured out the problem.  I was hanging too many devices off the AVH-8500BHS's blue remote amp turn-on signal.  I had the Microbypass, actual amp turn-on, and the powered antenna on this single signal that the owner's manual says can only do 300mA at 12VDC max.  I guess with my headlights on in my Scion FRS, it pulled the current below what was necessary to keep the Microbypass in the ON position.

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I figured out the problem. I was hanging too many devices off the AVH-8500BHS's blue remote amp turn-on signal. I had the Microbypass, actual amp turn-on, and the powered antenna on this single signal that the owner's manual says can only do 300mA at 12VDC max. I guess with my headlights on in my Scion FRS, it pulled the current below what was necessary to keep the Microbypass in the ON position.